Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is there another you in a parallel universe ?

UM-Bot

1 minute ago, UM-Bot said:

The 'many worlds' hypothesis suggests the existence of countless other universes similar to ours but different.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/331548/is-there-another-you-in-a-parallel-universe

It does but in all experiments they are centred around a centre piece such as the electron or atom being fired though the dual slits.

I will go for one me, but all possible futures are open while I lack information about what is out there.

• Like 1

What would your reaction be if you found out you had "another you" in an alleged "parallel universe"?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ant0n said:

What would your reaction be if you found out you had "another you" in an alleged "parallel universe"?

I would feel a great deal of empathy for the poor soul.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Hope  my other self is happier than I.  I sometimes think about  this on how on another reality my other  self got to be with the girl I love. 

• Sad 5

It's a cool idea, and a fun thought experiment, but...I really don't think quantum strangeness works outside the realm of the really, really small. ie: subatomic particles, etc.
Besides, if there were infinite parallel universes, than in at least one they would have figured out how to cross over into other universes. Also, they would have accidentally or intentionally destroyed all of the universes and none of us would exist.
Much like time travel theories, there's just too much paradox.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Hope  my other self is happier than I.  I sometimes think about  this on how on another reality my other  self got to be with the girl I love. 

You can still do that in this universe but she divorces you after a year

• Haha 1

If there were another me that would mean there were my parents too and all my forefathers.

What is the point of even thinking up an idea like this,  we will never meet , er,  us and we will never know. 

What about people here who have died in wars,  is their other them still alive in another world?  

I really do not see the point of this ridiculous idea.

If someone wants to make up a story like this,  then it is better to keep the idea Earthbound.

How can there be another one of us,  us on Earth are not controlling their mind or thoughts,  we are not living the same lives,  we are not on the same planet,  we may not have been born the same time or will die the same time. In other words - it is NOT us. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

There are a lot of science fiction stories that explore this idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AllPossible said:

You can still do that in this universe but she divorces you after a year

She hates me, thats what truly hurts me...and no I did nothing wrong to her.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, godnodog said:

Odd unforeseen twist to this thread more interesting to me that the OT, 

I'm sorry to hear this, ive seen it many times it hurts, and the scar will remain, curious why she hates you without a due cause from you but not my business.

• Like 2

This has to be the most depressing thread I've ever read. C'mon guy's. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, freetoroam said:

What is the point of even thinking up an idea like this,  we will never meet , er,  us and we will never know.

I really do not see the point of this ridiculous idea.

Agree 100%.

The origin of this very old idea lies in bad interpretation of science.  The laws of physics, as we currently understand them, do not disprove the existence of parallel universes.  They are mathematically possible, and impossible to verify or disprove.  So physicists and mathematicians like to dream about these infinite universes where every possible consequence of every action occurs in at least one of them. 

It's a rather silly notion, but until we finally understand time and entropy in our little bubble of spacetime we can't absolutely rule it out.  But as Seti points out above:

4 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Besides, if there were infinite parallel universes, than in at least one they would have figured out how to cross over into other universes. Also, they would have accidentally or intentionally destroyed all of the universes and none of us would exist.

I've also found this on the publisher's website:

"Copies of you are generated thousands of times per second. The Many Worlds Theory of quantum behavior says that every time there is a quantum event, a world splits off with everything in it the same, except in that other world the quantum event didn’t happen. Step-by-step in Carroll’s uniquely lucid way, he tackles the major objections to this otherworldly revelation until his case is inescapably established."

That first sentence gives the game away: the person reviewing this work doesn't grasp that this really is a load of nonsense.  This visible universe contains something like 1080 particles, each capable of interacting trillions of times per second.  At each 'quantum event' a separate universe needs to be created for each potential outcome, so we're looking at maybe 10100 splits per second per universe.  The only way to justify this exponential growth in alternative existences is to say they all coexist in different planes or dimensions that never interact with each other and can never be explored.  What is the point in such drivel?  You might as well believe in God!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Before you look at an object, whether it's an electron, or an atom or whatever, it's not in any definite location," said Carrol. "It might be more likely that you observe it in one place or another, but it's not actually located at any particular place."

I have to admit I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around this part, if it is not in any particular place than how can it exist?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, godnodog said:

This would make a good movie.

5 hours ago, Seti42 said:

It's a cool idea, and a fun thought experiment, but...I really don't think quantum strangeness works outside the realm of the really, really small. ie: subatomic particles, etc.

Honestly, it is a big enough leap to imagine infinite parallel universes, without then speculating what crossover there would be, or destructive, warring universes. The original idea is more than enough to try and digest !

6 hours ago, Seti42 said:

Maybe that's where ghosts come from? Just spitballing.

This concept although possible on paper is not truly standing up in our physical universe. We are singularities and all of the attempts to prove the existence of parallel universes have failed.

6 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Maybe that's where ghosts come from? Just spitballing.

It's a better hypothesis than "It's dead people!" IMO, :D

Demons, angels, ghosts, phantoms, spirits, aliens, faeries, bigfoot, etc. being veil-piercers in some way or another is more interesting...At least to me and several fiction authors I like reading. It's also classical human arrogance to assume it's us, but dead, because we're so special we live past death somehow.

Edited by Seti42

11 hours ago, godnodog said:

Move on brother. Plenty of of options out there. Can't stick with the same car, TV or woman for life lol

11 hours ago, the13bats said:

Odd unforeseen twist to this thread more interesting to me that the OT, 

I'm sorry to hear this, ive seen it many times it hurts, and the scar will remain, curious why she hates you without a due cause from you but not my business.

Perception. We get what we perceive.

Is there another you in a parallel universe ?

I have an identical twin, so there's another me in THIS universe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Philip Dick had interesting theories. Well he did more than speculate. There's more than one documentary (online). Anyone else, I'm on the fence. That guy? Yes...he's from another world. 

• Like 1