Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Luca-Rosemom 19

Ivan Milat Dead at 74

26 posts in this topic

Luca-Rosemom 19

Australian serial killer Ivan Milat aka the Backpacker murderer has died in hospital from cancer. 
The movie Wolf Creek is loosely based on him.

My one personal opinion it’s a shame he didn’t suffer more and die sooner rather than wasting money keeping him alive. 
He while in prison tried cutting his own fingers off with plastic knives, in the hopes they’d hospitalise him resulting in him not being allowed forks or knives. 

https://www.news.com.au/national/australias-worst-serial-killer-ivan-milat-has-died-aged-74/news-story/c0ec9be649b146fc3919ce05387b475d 

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Gwynbleidd
33 minutes ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

My one personal opinion it’s a shame he didn’t suffer more and die sooner rather than wasting money keeping him alive.

I totally agree.  I saw this today on another news article and I thought to myself, if Hell is real, I hope they saved a spot especially for him.  

I also read where the families felt a sense of closure and that they could attempt to move on now.  He was a blight on our history.

• Like 6

Habitat

One wonders if it wasn't for Paul Onions, he'd have ever been caught.

• Like 4

Captain Risky
22 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I totally agree.  I saw this today on another news article and I thought to myself, if Hell is real, I hope they saved a spot especially for him.  

I also read where the families felt a sense of closure and that they could attempt to move on now.  He was a blight on our history.

One thing the Americans and others do well is execution. Something we should also be doing.God knows how many others he killed. Unrepentant and uncooperative. What is even the point of keeping these animals alive.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Kittens Are Jerks

First I've heard of this creep. They were right to have him spend his remaining days in prison.

It irks me to no end that he refused to offer any confessions/information to the police.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Captain Risky
1 hour ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Australian serial killer Ivan Milat aka the Backpacker murderer has died in hospital from cancer. 
The movie Wolf Creek is loosely based on him.

He while in prison tried cutting his own fingers off with plastic knives, in the hopes they’d hospitalise him resulting in him not being allowed forks or knives. 

https://www.news.com.au/national/australias-worst-serial-killer-ivan-milat-has-died-aged-74/news-story/c0ec9be649b146fc3919ce05387b475d 

Didn't know that about the plastic knifes. They should have given him a real knife. 

• Thanks 2

Captain Risky
1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

First I've heard of this creep. They were right to have him spend his remaining days in prison.

It irks me to no end that he refused to offer any confessions/information to the police.

I feel for those families that won't get any closure.  

• Like 4

Luca-Rosemom 19
6 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Didn't know that about the plastic knifes. They should have given him a real knife. 

He was using the knives because he had this idea if he cut bits of fingers off they’d put in in a psychiatric hospital and he’d have a chance at getting out. 

Im a true crime nerd.

8 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

He at one point claimed innocence. 
There was a rumour at one point his brothers helped him commit the murders. 
He possibly had other victims, if you are someone who has lived in the outback or other country areas you’d know where and how to hide a body if you wanted to. 

Disclaimer I of course never have and dont think I could do it, but there are many farmsteads that one could easily hide a body and if you have Pigs you can dispose of a body no traces. 

• Like 5

Peter B
11 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

One thing the Americans and others do well is execution. Something we should also be doing.God knows how many others he killed. Unrepentant and uncooperative. What is even the point of keeping these animals alive.   

With the greatest of respect, I disagree over execution. At least while Milat was alive there was a chance he might have provided information about other murders. Now that he's dead we're unlikely to know. And there are other reasons to keep these people alive, if for no other reason than execution prevents miscarriages of justice from being righted - Lindy Chamberlain's case should be a constant reminder. (Plus there's the pragmatic reason that execution is much more expensive than life in prison.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Captain Risky
10 minutes ago, Peter B said:

With the greatest of respect, I disagree over execution. At least while Milat was alive there was a chance he might have provided information about other murders. Now that he's dead we're unlikely to know. And there are other reasons to keep these people alive, if for no other reason than execution prevents miscarriages of justice from being righted - Lindy Chamberlain's case should be a constant reminder. (Plus there's the pragmatic reason that execution is much more expensive than life in prison.)

All good reasons to keep someone alive. But for a mass murderer with no chance of redemption or rehabilitation the thought of him riding the system, looking for a chance to escape/reoffend isn’t worth it. IMO.

• Like 1

Alchopwn
2 hours ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

If it is any consolation Luca-Rosemom, think on this...  Milat died of stomach cancer, which is horribly painful.  There are worse ways to die, but not many.  Keeping him alive was a form of torture.

• Like 5

Luca-Rosemom 19
8 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

If it is any consolation Luca-Rosemom, think on this...  Milat died of stomach cancer, which is horribly painful.  There are worse ways to die, but not many.  Keeping him alive was a form of torture.

Even so he would have been so pumped full of pain killers, kept comfortable til he died. 
Ex father in law to be died of Stage 4 Bowel Cancer that spread to other organs they had him on a drip that was giving him strongest (locked in box with auto pump to release it into iv over time) pain killers they could. 
 Health (hospital to) care here is free if you’re in public hospital so at least no bill to foot there.

His funeral will either be his family pay or pauper one 

• Like 1

freetoroam

I hope he suffered everyday until his last breath. Although I know he never did,  his victims suffered and their families do so. 

I am not for the death sentence,  but I am for killers like him should be in solitary with minimum food and research should use them for testing new drugs or the effects of chemicals. 

They should be used in labs instead of mice or any other animal. 

• Like 4

Luca-Rosemom 19
8 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I hope he suffered everyday until his last breath. Although I know he never did,  his victims suffered and their families do so. 

I am not for the death sentence,  but I am for killers like him should be in solitary with minimum food and research should use them for testing new drugs or the effects of chemicals. 

They should be used in labs instead of mice or any other animal. 

In the past in America they were used as human test subjects.

i don’t know if true but apparently North Korea use them as test subjects 

Scholar4Truth

Since Australia does not have a Death Penalty nature had to take its course. Good riddance.  

• Like 3

Aquila King
10 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

All good reasons to keep someone alive. But for a mass murderer with no chance of redemption or rehabilitation the thought of him riding the system, looking for a chance to escape/reoffend isn’t worth it. IMO.

I think you're missing the point. Most of us who're against the death penalty are fine with evil murderers like this being killed. We just at the same time recognize that sometimes we get it wrong and end up sentencing innocent people to death.

I'm personally not okay with state sanctioned murder, even if it's a small degree. I'd rather evil dicks like this dude be locked up for life than to accidentally kill innocent people from time to time.

• Like 3

Gwynbleidd
12 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

He wasn't the only member of that family who was a murderer either.  Ivan Milat's nephew killed another teen with an axe whilst another teen filmed it on their mobile phone.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-08/milat-relative-gets-30-years-for-axe-murder/4060442

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Luca-Rosemom 19
1 hour ago, Gwynbleidd said:

He wasn't the only member of that family who was a murderer either.  Ivan Milat's nephew killed another teen with an axe whilst another teen filmed it on their mobile phone.  

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-08/milat-relative-gets-30-years-for-axe-murder/4060442

I honestly forgot about that.

i almost wonder is there something in that family’s genetic make up or brains that causes them to be killers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gwynbleidd
Just now, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

I honestly forgot about that.

i almost wonder is there something in that family’s genetic make up or brains that causes them to be killers 

Right?  That's what I was thinking too.  It wasn't until I saw that he'd died (thanks for starting thread btw) that it jolted my memory back to that relative who happened to be his nephew.  I remember reading about the nephew and how he kinda had this admiration towards his Uncle because he had that notoriety as being labeled the Backpacker Murderer.  I think he ended up planning and killing that other poor teen in some small town, but someone else filmed it on the phone and I thought how ridiculously sick is this.....

I'm so glad they caught him and in my opinion, he should be locked up for life.  I know it's awful to tar the whole lot of people with the same feathers so to speak, but that family definitely had some issues, sadly, we can't deny that.  

• Like 1

Luca-Rosemom 19
7 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Right?  That's what I was thinking too.  It wasn't until I saw that he'd died (thanks for starting thread btw) that it jolted my memory back to that relative who happened to be his nephew.  I remember reading about the nephew and how he kinda had this admiration towards his Uncle because he had that notoriety as being labeled the Backpacker Murderer.  I think he ended up planning and killing that other poor teen in some small town, but someone else filmed it on the phone and I thought how ridiculously sick is this.....

I'm so glad they caught him and in my opinion, he should be locked up for life.  I know it's awful to tar the whole lot of people with the same feathers so to speak, but that family definitely had some issues, sadly, we can't deny that.  

Very true, it does sound like he wanted the attention like his uncle got. 

• Like 1

Captain Risky
4 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I think you're missing the point. Most of us who're against the death penalty are fine with evil murderers like this being killed. We just at the same time recognize that sometimes we get it wrong and end up sentencing innocent people to death.

I'm personally not okay with state sanctioned murder, even if it's a small degree. I'd rather evil dicks like this dude be locked up for life than to accidentally kill innocent people from time to time.

I get your point and to a large degree sympathise. But in this maniac’s case the evidence is clear cut. Regardless of his protestations he was guilt as sin beyond a doubt. 24 years of tax payers money to keep him alive and reinforce his bad guy image was t worth it. I bet he loved every minute of the notoriety and was unrepentant to the last. 

Luca-Rosemom 19
1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

I get your point and to a large degree sympathise. But in this maniac’s case the evidence is clear cut. Regardless of his protestations he was guilt as sin beyond a doubt. 24 years of tax payers money to keep him alive and reinforce his bad guy image was t worth it. I bet he loved every minute of the notoriety and was unrepentant to the last. 

Slightly off topic for a second I had to stop and think F has it been that long

• Like 1

Alchopwn
19 hours ago, Luca-Rosemom 19 said:

Even so he would have been so pumped full of pain killers, kept comfortable til he died. 
Ex father in law to be died of Stage 4 Bowel Cancer that spread to other organs they had him on a drip that was giving him strongest (locked in box with auto pump to release it into iv over time) pain killers they could. 
 Health (hospital to) care here is free if you’re in public hospital so at least no bill to foot there.

His funeral will either be his family pay or pauper one 

I bet the nurses were soooo attentive.

Peter B
15 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I bet the nurses were soooo attentive.

Well, I hope they were. I get the impression Milat had a strong persecution complex, and would have been on the lookout for any genuine excuse to complain about his treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if treating him humanely would have driven him crazy.

But the other part of the problem is that I don't like the idea of using someone else's toxic behaviour as an excuse to slacken your own standards. That just starts the process of dragging everyone down to their level. And that's a concept applicable in many other situations than this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alchopwn
14 hours ago, Peter B said:

Well, I hope they were. I get the impression Milat had a strong persecution complex, and would have been on the lookout for any genuine excuse to complain about his treatment. I wouldn't be surprised if treating him humanely would have driven him crazy.

But the other part of the problem is that I don't like the idea of using someone else's toxic behaviour as an excuse to slacken your own standards. That just starts the process of dragging everyone down to their level. And that's a concept applicable in many other situations than this...

Well, remember that Australia doesn't have capital punishment, but most Aussies I have spoken to wish Milat had died a lot sooner, and are a bit annoyed nobody killed him in jail.

• Like 1