Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lab-grown brains may be sentient and in pain

UM-Bot

Hang on,scientists are already growing artificial brains? :cry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Such a disturbing thought to think they would exist in some pain filled limbo. Medical ethics should question the need to create such things and the consequences on a possibly conscious mind. 

• Like 4

3 million cells does not a sentient brain make

• Like 8

How can it become conscious without any ability to experience or interpret the world?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

How can it become conscious without any ability to experience or interpret the world?

Because....  H U M A N brains!   Human brains are magical...and consciousness is magical...and ....uh...

NO!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Hollywood on line one, please pick up line one... No, the one next to that, no not the wire, press the button "one" , pick up the... Oh never mind.... 

~

• Haha 2

Braiiiiins nom nom nom 

• Haha 1

That is just freaky.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Probably psychic abilities, lol ! omg...

22 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Next somebody will claim it also has a soul. 

Brains don't have feet, silly.

• Haha 2

Not buying it. It's a tiny bean-sized lump of brain tissue, not a developed human brain. It has no input, no experience.

If our brains are like a 100 terabyte hard drive full of data, these things are like a freshly formatted 10 megabyte thumb drive.

Edited by moonman

2 hours ago, moonman said:

Not buying it. It's a tiny bean-sized lump of brain tissue, not a developed human brain. It has no input, no experience.

If our brains are like a 100 terabyte hard drive full of data, these things are like a freshly formatted 10 megabyte thumb drive.

You know that just because a brain is smaller than ours doesn't mean it doesn't have sentient of feel pain; not 100% sure I believe everything in the story but to just say "Because brain is smaller than ours means it doesn't have feeling or emotion" is ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IBelieveWhatIWant said:

You know that just because a brain is smaller than ours doesn't mean it doesn't have sentient of feel pain; not 100% sure I believe everything in the story but to just say "Because brain is smaller than ours means it doesn't have feeling or emotion" is ridiculous.

I agree. If it is having activity then it is processing something, and being small may involve less processes, but undoubtedly they are the same processes as any other that they are replicated from.

• Like 1

is it possible that they have been testing these brains on politicians.

I have a few candidates in mind and if I am correct we have no worries about the wee brains being sentient.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RAyMO said:

is it possible that they have been testing these brains on politicians.

I have a few candidates in mind and if I am correct we have no worries about the wee brains being sentient.

It brings up ethical concerns. It has nothing to do with the brains intelligence.

It is a small lump of brain tissue. It is called an organoid and not a brain for a reason. It lacks the organization and multiple regions of a brain that is part of an organically grown organism. Size is not the issue. Organization is what make tissue into a functioning brain.
They are not miniature brains.
If we have a problem with this, we better question cancer surgery. A brain tumor is a also conglomeration of brain cells. Should we not remove it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, joc said:

3 million cells does not a sentient brain make

I totally agree, but there is a way to find out. They could attach sensors to a few to see if there is a synaptic pattern firing. If they are reproduced from human cells they would be able to tell which parts are firing, such as the Parietal lobe or the pain center.  Another area they could check would be the cerebrum which controls the thought process and feelings, if it's firing something is going on.

Now clearly I am not an expert in this area, but they do this to living humans all the to check for brain damage. Please don't laugh to hard at my idea, but I am serious and would be interesting to find out.

Take Care.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let's all put our heads together and figure this out... and keep our brains to ourselves... 

~

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

I totally agree, but there is a way to find out. They could attach sensors to a few to see if there is a synaptic pattern firing. If they are reproduced from human cells they would be able to tell which parts are firing, such as the Parietal lobe or the pain center.  Another area they could check would be the cerebrum which controls the thought process and feelings, if it's firing something is going on.

Now clearly I am not an expert in this area, but they do this to living humans all the to check for brain damage. Please don't laugh to hard at my idea, but I am serious and would be interesting to find out.

Take Care.

There already is a way to find out...and it doesn't involve anything more than a thought process by a functioning brain.  Brains don't 'feel' anything.  Brains are attached to nerves and the nerves 'feel' ...interpreted by the brain as pain.  We aren't talking about brains really... we are talking about brain cells.  There is no Parietal lobe or any other lobe in a splooch of brain material. 

I totally agree with you though in this regard...you are not an expert in this area.  :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

Next somebody will claim it also has a soul. 

How do you know it doesn't.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joc said:

There already is a way to find out...and it doesn't involve anything more than a thought process by a functioning brain.  Brains don't 'feel' anything.  Brains are attached to nerves and the nerves 'feel' ...interpreted by the brain as pain.  We aren't talking about brains really... we are talking about brain cells.  There is no Parietal lobe or any other lobe in a splooch of brain material. 

I totally agree with you though in this regard...you are not an expert in this area.  :)

Hey Jocky, thanks for the vote of confidence, but the fact is you don't know what that splooch of brain is made from. It could be made from any of those lobes. No actually brains aren't attached to nerves, nerves are attached to the Brain and Brain matter consists of billions of interconnecting neurons, which fire and are readable. I know its complicated but you will catch on, I have confidence in you.