Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Weird World of ‘Haunted’ eBay

Eldorado

"eBay has a number of 'haunted' items for sale ahead of Halloween.

Sellers have made a windfall on the popular website auctioning off spooky objects they have around the house.

According to The New York Times, a 'haunted 16-inch doll' with 'supernatural paranormal power' recently sold for a whopping $5,600.

Meanwhile, a 'vintage haunted plush teddy bear' was recently snapped up for $560 after 46 bids.

Other unusual items, including haunted bones and 'demon ash' are currently on the market."

Nice pics at the UK Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7618213/eBay-shopper-spends-5600-haunted-doll-paranormal-powers.html

"The Weird World of ‘Haunted’ eBay: ‘Purchase With Caution’"

Article at the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/25/arts/design/ebay-haunted-halloween.html?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I have some haunted canned elk droppings for 500$. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Complete with fine print warning that the consumer may not experience paranormal activity and it can't be guaranteed..

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"eBay has a number of 'haunted' items for sale ahead of Halloween.

Sellers have made a windfall on the popular website auctioning off spooky objects they have around the house.

According to The New York Times, a 'haunted 16-inch doll' with 'supernatural paranormal power' recently sold for a whopping $5,600.

Meanwhile, a 'vintage haunted plush teddy bear' was recently snapped up for $560 after 46 bids.

Other unusual items, including haunted bones and 'demon ash' are currently on the market."

Nice pics at the UK Daily Mail: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7618213/eBay-shopper-spends-5600-haunted-doll-paranormal-powers.html

"The Weird World of ‘Haunted’ eBay: ‘Purchase With Caution’"

Article at the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/25/arts/design/ebay-haunted-halloween.html?

I bought a Haunted finger on eBay years ago, they said that it would try and pick your nose. But the dam thing never worked and the seller wouldn't give me a refund.:no:

• Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Complete with fine print warning that the consumer may not experience paranormal activity and it can't be guaranteed..

Yep,  but the believers who have folked out hundreds of pounds for one of these alleged haunted items will find a way to "experience" something, even if it is all in their mind.

Then there is the option of putting it on ebay and advertising it as haunted like the person they bought it off did,  at an even higher price.  As we can see by the article,  there will always be a sucker to buy it.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Openmindhere said:

Dolls! It's always the DOLLS!

One of my "friends with benefits" collects creepy dolls.

What a audience for a bedsport romp! :yes:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Yep,  but the believers who have folked out hundreds of pounds for one of these alleged haunted items will find a way to "experience" something, even if it is all in their mind.

Then there is the option of putting it on ebay and advertising it as haunted like the person they bought it off did,  at an even higher price.  As we can see by the article,  there will always be a sucker to buy it.

A friend pointed out dybbuk boxes a while back.  It's a new way to polish a turd.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I had this door swing the other a couple decades back i sold silver jewelry on the side, and my wholesaler who normally sold that Balinese stuff had some very nice hand made pieces, i bought 2 very heavy large amethyst point rings and a bloodstone write cuff,

I decided to keep one ring and the cuff but stuck the second ring on feebay, which i normally never sold on, bidding went very well and i was please at the end, so i mail it out and tracking said it got there ( remember, I'm all OCD ADD LOL etc )

Then about a week or 10 days later the cat hits me an email saying the ring is haunted, and giving them bad dreams and visions etc,

The email was long but mostly just babble and filler, since i liked the ring knew it would sell well again i said well if it haunts you send it back ill refund your money, shipping etc,

A couple days later they said the ring told them not to return it or various misfortune would fall on them, but i could pay them to have their phychic, spirit  mumbo jumbo person do an exorcism cleansing, they hit me for more $$$ than they paid, saying im responsible.

I told them I didn't believe in paranormal superstious bs and either send it back or keep it and move on.

I get another email about i will be sorry, blah blah, my fault what happens to them,

And the feedback read,

"Beware, sells haunted items"

That feedback alone made it all worthwhile.

It wasn't until years later did I see the myriad of haunted tripe sold on feebay with that disclaimer, about actual paranormal results may vary. What a hoot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We sold a tiny little musical jewellery box on e bay it had a little tiny doll that danced to a tune when the lid was opened, a week or so later my wife got an email saying the tiny weeny little doll was coming alive at night and causing havoc in the blokes house and the box was an evil thing and he should be compensated so we emailed him said send the box back and he could have his money back, he couldn't do that as he'd accidently sold it  ..... what a prick he was how do you accidently sell somthing and probley at a profit .

Edited by Matt221
Spellings
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

We sold a tiny little musical jewellery box on e bay it had a little tiny doll that danced to a tune when the lid was opened, a week or so later my wife got an email saying the tiny weeny little doll was coming alive at night and causing havoc in the blokes house and the box was an evil thing and he should be compensated so we emailed him said send the box back and he could have his money back, he couldn't do that as he'd accidently sold it  ..... what a prick he was how do you accidently sell somthing and probley at a profit .

Whoops I accidentally sold it for 50% more than I originally bought it for. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt221 said:

It attacked his wife .... it obviously wasn't in attack mode when those photos were taken

It's certainly a assault on the eyeballs. :yes:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Papa is not a fool!!:angry:

I knew it!  You are papaG's daddy. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matt221 said:

It attacked his wife .... it obviously wasn't in attack mode when those photos were taken

It choked his wife,  he says. 

Serves her right for trying to eat the box! 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I knew it!  You are papaG's daddy. :D

Ssshh don't tell anyone. It's why I challenge him alot, it's just a masquerade. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Ssshh don't tell anyone. It's why I challenge him alot, it's just a masquerade. :ph34r:

PapaG senior,  I am holding you fully responsible. :D

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Piney said:

One of my "friends with benefits" collects creepy dolls.

What a audience for a bedsport romp! :yes:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

PapaG senior,  I am holding you fully responsible. :D

I've been looking for a new appropriate avatar since you said this.:lol:

• Haha 1