Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Aussie shark bites foot off British tourist

Eldorado

"An English man had his foot torn off in a brutal shark attack off the coast of Australia, authorities have confirmed.

"He and another British tourist suffered serious injuries when they were attacked in water surrounding the popular paradise Whitsunday islands off the north-eastern coast in Queensland.

"The second man was left with ‘serious lacerations to his lower leg’.

"The men have been named as Alistair Raddon, 28, from Southampton, who had his right foot ‘amputated’ in the attack. Danny Maggs, 22, from Plymouth, suffered severe cuts in the attack.

"Both men are now recovering in hospital and are said to be in a ‘serious but stable condition’."

Full monty at the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/29/british-tourists-foot-bitten-off-shark-australia-11001884/?

And at the UK Telegraph: https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/29/british-tourists-foot-bitten-off-shark-australia-11001884/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

It's unfortunate and obviously life changing for those poor gentlemen who entered the sharks habitat, but when you weigh it up against how many sharks humans take from the sea and kill on a daily basis [many thousands] the shark 'attack' isn't really the news, sorry. :no:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, zygote_myles said:

It's unfortunate and obviously life changing for those poor gentlemen who entered the sharks habitat, but when you weigh it up against how many sharks humans take from the sea and kill on a daily basis [many thousands] the shark 'attack' isn't really the news, sorry. :no:

Agree. When I saw fishing vessels cutting the fins off of sharks while they're alive, then throwing the still live sharks back into the water, I had tears in my eyes. A little comuppance on behalf of the sharks helps a little bit. The sports fishing industry is almost as bad. Catch a big ol shark, hang it up for all to see, cut the teeth out, then turf the carcass. If you aren't going to eat it, stop bloody catching them.

• Thanks 2

Kinda curious what protections are in place for swimmers. I was wondering if recorded orca hunting calls would keep the sharks farther off shore. Orca's have and will eat sharks. Just an idea.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/national_world/underwater-sounds-pitched-as-shark-remedy-for-cape/article_01da9f3c-4c88-594e-80cd-c2d70aa5118f.html&ved=2ahUKEwjT7Zyp2MLlAhWUu54KHQCQDhgQFjABegQIDRAH&usg=AOvVaw3B59i5qC4d1GebWNXSxFil

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

Kinda curious what protections are in place for swimmers. 

How about stay out of the sharks home?

• Like 3

Without knowing the actual details of this case, it does appear to resemble several other attacks, one fatal, in the same general area, fairly recently. These were attacks on people in water well away from beaches, who had gone for a swim, and jumped out of a boat at anchor, to do it. Those earlier attacks were identified as being by Tiger sharks, there is little call for measures to control sharks away from swimming beaches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zygote_myles said:

Yeah I'm sure those two English men are drawing great comfort from that fact. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Kinda curious what protections are in place for swimmers. I was wondering if recorded orca hunting calls would keep the sharks farther off shore. Orca's have and will eat sharks. Just an idea.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sentinelsource.com/news/national_world/underwater-sounds-pitched-as-shark-remedy-for-cape/article_01da9f3c-4c88-594e-80cd-c2d70aa5118f.html&ved=2ahUKEwjT7Zyp2MLlAhWUu54KHQCQDhgQFjABegQIDRAH&usg=AOvVaw3B59i5qC4d1GebWNXSxFil

Orca's flip the sharks over and the sharks drown and the orca's eat their livers. Very cleaver animals to kill without confrontation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

Orca's flip the sharks over and the sharks drown and the orca's eat their livers. Very cleaver animals to kill without confrontation.  

Yet not one documented attack on humans in the wild. I think they are smart enough to know that to kill a human would invite trouble. The one that dragged down his trainer and drowned her doesn't count as he had issues related to long term confinement. 

I dunno if using Orca calls to fend off sharks is a good thing. Curious Orcas may get hurt investigating the calls. Tough call.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Yet not one documented attack on humans in the wild. I think they are smart enough to know that to kill a human would invite trouble. The one that dragged down his trainer and drowned her doesn't count as he had issues related to long term confinement. 

I dunno if using Orca calls to fend off sharks is a good thing. Curious Orcas may get hurt investigating the calls. Tough call.

Given that this area is a major calving area for Humpback Whales, there is zero chance that piping Orca calls into the environment would be an option.