Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK General Election -

bee

36 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

This seems very apposite, if apposite's the word I'm looking for ..

A slap in the face of Leave voters 

The Brexit Party offered Brexit voters a choice. Now that choice has been taken away.

"Better to have Brexit under Boris than risk a second referendum under Labour, explained Nigel the pragmatist"

That sounds eminently reasonable to me.

• Like 1

Former Labour minister backs Tories

A former minister under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown has called on voters to reject Jeremy Corbyn and back Boris Johnson because the Labour leader cannot be “trusted” with the Union.

Tom Harris said Mr Corbyn had “plunged Labour back to the days when the Trotskyist Militant tendency was a powerful force” and accused him of paving the way for a “divisive and unnecessary” second referendum on Scottish independence.

The move to endorse the Tories comes after former Labour MP Ian Austin also backed Mr Johnson with a stinging attack on Mr Corbyn. Ex-MP John Woodcock is also openly campaigning against the Labour leader, who is kicking off a two-day visit to Scotland today.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

Vote Lib Dem, urges former Conservative minister David Gauke

19 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Labour leader cannot be “trusted” with the Union.

lol - the Union is on borrowed time - Brexit will hasten its demise.

2 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Vote Lib Dem, urges former Conservative minister David Gauke

7efc9ad8287ef197652b89023239d199e0560e7a0e3a986157f932916502ab13.jpg.e86c4f692ca954ca6dbfa6d43599960c.jpg

Yes, vote for the Lib Dems, the party that is happy to ignore your vote when it suits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Yes, vote for the Lib Dems, the party that is happy to ignore your vote when it suits.

I was just making the point that there is a headline for every view.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

I was just making the point that there is a headline for every view.

Indeed. Personally I think everybody should refrain from watching the news for the next 4 weeks & just vote for whoever they feel like on the day. If anybody actually believes what MPs are telling them (from all parties) in the lead up to this election, then perhaps it's better they don't vote at all.

I'm just waiting for the Green party to promise everybody a free bicycle & a straw hat if they are elected.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bee said:

I think he put the card on the wreath the wrong way round .... they probably wanted to minimize his
serious moment as PM in 2019..... by slipping in the 2016 clip... like.... look what a silly billy he is / was..

the BBC and MSM in general are experts at micro managing the news / propaganda... to fit in with their agenda..

Seeing as you ignored the last post - is that comparable to the Sun editing out a veteran so they can claim Corbyn was dancing at remembrance day commemorations? 

2 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

There's hundreds of articles about BBC's left-wing bias... 

...written by right wingers. 

As evidence of where the BBC actually sits in comparison to the population as a whole, see the poll I linked yesterday. 

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Indeed. Personally I think everybody should refrain from watching the news for the next 4 weeks & just vote for whoever they feel like on the day. 

That approach explains so much about your voting habits... 

Blind ignorance. Melchett would be so proud. 

e892e249449e25f401e5a90e79c2acd5.jpg

Edited by Setton

2 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

There's hundreds of articles about BBC's left-wing bias, we have the testaments of those leaving and retiring, the only comedians with a political theme to their act are left-wing, 

Jon Holmes who used to be on the 'Now Show'.

“Should I, as a white man (through no fault of my own), be fired from my job because I am a white man?” he asks. “Arguably, yes. You may well think I’m crap on The Now Show, and that’s fine, but to be told it’s because I’m the wrong sex and colour? I’m just not sure that’s helpful to anyone’s cause.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/oct/02/bbc-presenter-jon-holmes-the-now-show-sacked

If you watch the BBC you shouldn't need this evidence it's bias is so obvious your own politics must be to the extreme left, if you don't recognise it.  

So why is everyone going on about their right wing pro-Tory anti-Labour bias ;)     That's the point.

And it's not just here - I have seen it all over social media for years. Several people I know are complaining on Facebook about the BBC's right wing bias as I write ..... Doesn't matter what your political or other opinion might be, the BBC are biased against you (climate change being a typical example - being accused of being biased towards promoting the reality of airy-fairy tree-hugging global warming, and at the very same time, accused of giving climate change deniers an equal platform with genuine climate scientists!)

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

So why is everyone going on about their right wing pro-Tory anti-Labour bias ;)     That's the point.

And it's not just here - I have seen it all over social media for years. Several people I know are complaining on Facebook about the BBC's right wing bias as I write ..... Doesn't matter what your political or other opinion might be, the BBC are biased against you (climate change being a typical example - being accused of being biased towards promoting the reality of airy-fairy tree-hugging global warming, and at the very same time, accused of giving climate change deniers an equal platform with genuine climate scientists!)

The BBC is a punch-bag. Everyone criticises it for bias against their particular issue. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Setton said:

Says two of the resident right wingers... 

Rather proving his point there. 

Here's some actual evidence for you: https://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/is-the-bbc-biased-bmg-reveals-public-perceptions-of-broadcaster-impartiality-in-the-uk/

You might not like it, but the BBC is pretty much right in the centre ground. Where they are supposed to be. 

To begin with a poll does not actually identify bias.

Its a survey asking people if they think the BBC is biased, not a criminal investigation to establish if it is or not. Next, the poll does not tell us the demographics polled or the questions asked. Hence, the statistics it presents cannot be used by us to infer if a problem is going on with the BBC. For all we know they might have mainly asked students or immigrants rather than a cross section of society which accurately represents the make-up of modern day Britain.

Next, the BBC has admitted a pro-EU bias before: https://www.*** blocked ***/news/uk/1129996/brexit-news-bbc-bias-nigel-farage-brexit-party-european-elections-andrew-marr-spt

Next we can look at what has been occurring with the BBCs Brexit coverage: https://brexitcentral.com/bbc-marginalising-pro-brexit-views-years-figures-show/. From that like I will point out the following findings:

1. Of 4274 guests talking about the EU on BBC Radio 4 in their Flagship Today Programme between 2005 and 2015 only 3.2% were supporters of Brexit.

2. In 274 hours of monitored BBC EU coverage between 2002 and 2017, only 0.2% of speakers were left-wing advocates for leaving the EU.

3. Tory pro-EU MPs Kenneth Clarke and Michael Heseltine gone a combined airtime 9 times create than those left-wing advocates for leaving the EU.

4. During the six months after the referendum only 2.9% of speaker contributions in the BBCs Todays Business News were supporters of leaving the EU.

Need I go on? I stopped watching the BBC because I never saw one program, one article, one anything that was pro-Brexit. Easy enough to do with the mere 3.2% and 0.2% and 2.9% above.

• Like 2

Remainers on the ropes.

panic as set in, Labour in la la land. Lib dems well the same old useless lot. 

looking at massive Tory majority.

Pro-Brexit parties to win a landslide.

Remainer Parties wiped out.

and they still wont get it.

Tory victory Brexit,

and when it happens no more tears please.

Parliament is sovereign, i did warn the remainers one day the boot will be on the other foot.

suck it up.

6 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Remainers on the ropes.

Tory victory Brexit,

Parliament is sovereign, i did warn the remainers one day the boot will be on the other foot.

suck it up.

We can but hope. Sadly, I feel the reality will be different :( 

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

We can but hope. Sadly, I feel the reality will be different :( 

nah, we have been victorious at the ballot box time and time again. Labour only got votes because they said they'd honour the referendum result in their manifesto at the last election their voters now know what they have to do to get Brexit over the line. Labour led by the millionaire Corbyn who lives in Islington. grew up with a bother named piers, he is the leader of the Labour who abandoned its core voter, the working classes have woken up. Corbyn and his shower only cater for the metropolitans. 

Victory.

1 hour ago, Setton said:

That approach explains so much about your voting habits... 

Blind ignorance. Melchett would be so proud. 

e892e249449e25f401e5a90e79c2acd5.jpg

And if you are easily persuaded to vote for whoever on the basis of promises made in the run-up to the election then you've confirmed you're an idiot & deserve everything that's coming to you. (remember, all the parties promised to honour the result of the referendum).

Baldrick would be so proud.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Essan said:

You're just ignoring the inside reports of the people who've worked for them, name a BBC comic with a right wing view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essan said:

I think you must be watching a different BBC. You're not tuning into the Botswana Broadcasting Company by mistake are you?

https://biasedbbc.org

In there own words:-

The BBC is “a publicly-funded urban organisation with an abnormally large proportion of younger people, of people in ethnic minorities and almost certainly of gay people, compared with the population at large”.

All this, he said, “creates an innate liberal bias inside the BBC”.

Andrew Marr

“It’s a bit like walking into a Sunday meeting of the Flat Earth Society. As they discuss great issues of the day, they discuss them from the point of view that the earth is flat.

“If someone says, ‘No, no, no, the earth is round!’, they think this person is an extremist. That’s what it’s like for someone with my right-of-centre views working inside the BBC.”

Jeff Randall, former BBC business editor

By far the most popular and widely read newspapers at the BBC are The Guardian and The Independent. ­Producers refer to them routinely for the line to take on ­running stories, and for inspiration on which items to cover. In the later stages of my career, I lost count of the number of times I asked a producer for a brief on a story, only to be handed a copy of The Guardian and told ‘it’s all in there’.

–  Peter Sissons, Former BBC News and Current Affairs presenter

“In the BBC I joined 30 years ago [as a production trainee, in 1979], there was, in much of current affairs, in terms of people’s personal politics, which were quite vocal, a massive bias to the left. The organisation did struggle then with impartiality. And journalistically, staff were quite mystified by the early years of Thatcher.

“Now it is a completely different generation. There is much less overt tribalism among the young journalists who work for the BBC. It is like the New Statesman, which used to be various shades of soft and hard left and is now more technocratic. We’re like that, too.”

Mark Thomspon, former BBC Director General

“I do remember… the corridors of Broadcasting House were strewn with empty champagne bottles. I’ll always remember that”

Jane Garvey, Radio 4 presenter, recalling Tony Blair’s election victory in 1997

I absorbed and expressed all the accepted BBC attitudes: hostility to, or at least suspicion of, America, monarchy, government, capitalism, empire, banking and the defence establishment, and in favour of the Health Service, state welfare, the social sciences, the environment and state education. But perhaps our most powerful antagonism was directed at advertising. This is not surprising; commercial television was the biggest threat the BBC had ever had to face.

Sir Antony Jay, former BBC producer and creator, inter alia, of “Yes, (Prime) Minister”

“And, in the tone of what we say about America, we have a tendency to scorn and deride. We don’t give America any kind of moral weight in our broadcasts.”

Justin Webb (pg. 66), Today presenter and former BBC North America editor

“We need to foster peculiarity, idiosyncrasy, stubborn-mindedness, left-of-centre thinking.”

Ben Stephenson, BBC controller of drama commissioning

p.s. With reference to your post :-  "accused of giving climate change deniers an equal platform with genuine climate scientists!" I've never seen any BBC program or radio broadcast give any climate change denier any air time whatsoever. .....can you tell me when this happened?

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Remainers on the ropes.

Tory victory Brexit,

suck it up.

So 52% of the public voted for Brexit and a Government can have a decent working majority if they secure 35% of the vote during an election. Its not hard to imagine a large Tory majority coming lol.

35 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I think you must be watching a different BBC. You're not tuning into the Botswana Broadcasting Company by mistake are you?

Nah, I don't watch any BBC ;)     

With reference to your post :- 

"accused of giving climate change deniers an equal platform with genuine climate scientists!" I've never seen any BBC program or radio broadcast give any climate change denier any air time whatsoever. .....can you tell me when this happened?

See, for example: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/oct/24/bbc-apologises-over-interview-climate-sceptic-lord-nigel-lawson

• Like 1

I recommend a nice juicy Cumberland Sausage 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome

9 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

God forbid! When some of the people who contribute regularly to this thread have had their way and the British Fascist Party is in power there'll be none of those broadcasting their corrupting influence to the Young People of Our Nation. Christ, it's like a time tunnel has opened up back into the 1950's, the kind of bigoted dinosaur-like attitudes people proudly display.

WWHHOOOOSSSHH..........That was the sound of the point of the post going straight over your head,  but hey....great deflection.

And to add the last bit of the quote you cherry picked from...."All this, he said, “creates an innate liberal bias inside the BBC”."

Edited by itsnotoutthere

57 minutes ago, Essan said:

So let me get this straight. Lord Lawson denies climate change in a 5 minute radio interview & the BBC then have issue an apology for not having climate scientist present to provide an opposing view for balance, hmm. So, when the BBC have one of their regular items on climate change, where is......well, you can see where i'm going with this.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

So let me get this straight. Lord Lawson denies climate change in a 5 minute radio interview & the BBC then have issue an apology for not having climate scientist present to provide an opposing view for balance, hmm. So, when the BBC have one of their regular items on climate change, where is......well, you can see where i'm going with this.

I'm not the one accusing anyone of anything here ;)    Just pointing out that they do - and this is one of the reasons for it.   It was quite big news at the time (amongst the climate change lobby) - there were other cases around the time, and before, as a I recall, where deniers where given equal credence.

The point remains: whatever someone's opinion, they always accuse the BBC of bias against them.   I've never seen anyone acknowledge that the BBC is biased in their favour though!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I recommend a nice juicy Cumberland Sausage 

Possibly the most sensible thing I've seen all day :tu:

9 minutes ago, Essan said:

I'm not the one accusing anyone of anything here ;)    Just pointing out that they do - and this is one of the reasons for it.   It was quite big news at the time (amongst the climate change lobby) - there were other cases around the time, and before, as a I recall, where deniers where given equal credence.

The point remains: whatever someone's opinion, they always accuse the BBC of bias against them.   I've never seen anyone acknowledge that the BBC is biased in their favour though!

No, don't take it the wrong way, i'm just pointing out the people (i'e The Guardian) get their knickers in a twist when somebody dares question climate change on the BBC and scream..'where is the balance,'  but ignore it when the balance is tilted the other way.:tu:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1