Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK General Election -

bee

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I recommend a nice juicy Cumberland Sausage 

I'll see your sausage & raise you a Barnsley chop.

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

To begin with a poll does not actually identify bias.

No, but its a damn sight more reliable than the individual subjective opinions that you lot have produced as evidence. 

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

And if you are easily persuaded to vote for whoever on the basis of promises made in the run-up to the election then you've confirmed you're an idiot & deserve everything that's coming to you. (remember, all the parties promised to honour the result of the referendum).

Baldrick would be so proud.

Well the alternative to voting based on a party's manifesto is voting based on nothing at all. That seems even more idiotic. 

13 minutes ago, Setton said:

No, but its a damn sight more reliable than the individual subjective opinions that you lot have produced as evidence. 

Nice, ignore the rest of my post.

Then again, I wouldnt expect more from you lol.

32 minutes ago, Setton said:

Well the alternative to voting based on a party's manifesto is voting based on nothing at all. That seems even more idiotic. 

How about basing your vote on everything they've ever said & done previously.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Nice, ignore the rest of my post.

Then again, I wouldnt expect more from you lol.

Sorry, I assumed it was irony. 

You know, using 'Brexitcentral' as a source to evaluate bias. 

Latest poll of polls data -

Current Prediction: Conservative majority 112

Party 2017 Votes 2017 Seats Pred Votes Pred Seats
CON 43.5% 318 39.7% 381
LAB 41.0% 262 29.0% 186
LIB 7.6% 12 15.6% 20
Brexit 0.0% 0 7.8% 0
Green 1.7% 1 2.8% 1
SNP 3.1% 35 3.2% 42
  • Thanks 2

Boris has been having some fun with the press today. Stories circulating last night of dubious language to be used in his new speech which was instantly seized upon. During the speech today all ears were trained waiting for the word but to no avail, press were not happy as they had their comments pre loaded.  ;) 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-onanism-jeremy-corbyn-m********e-election-campaign-labour-a9200581.html 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/johnson-criticised-for-calling-corbyn-crude-insult-onanism-1-6373757 

Update - PM tells @tnewtondunn why he cut from his speech the word 'onanist'  to describe Corbyn: "A stray early draft seems to have somehow found its way into your otherwise peerless copy by a process I don’t pretend to understand." :lol: 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
update
  • Haha 1

Very interesting article......and in the Guardian too.

Two years ago, Jeremy Corbyn was in the middle of a surprise sellout tour of the UK. The merchandise stalls had been doing great business with JC4PM T-shirts and the Labour leader had frequently been upgraded to bigger venues. He had been the man.

Now he increasingly looks more like someone going through the motions. A last chance powerless drive to cash in by playing a few old favourites in front of a few die-hard fans, before he can dive back to his Born to Runner beans on the allotment, muttering to himself that he had given the election his best shot.

Less than two weeks previously, Corbyn had launched Labour’s election campaign with a high-octane rally in Battersea. Back then he still had hope. However small. Now he could barely keep his eyes open as he introduced a showcase programme for lifelong education that should be at the heart of his party’s manifesto. It was almost as if he was punch-drunk.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/12/angela-rayner-lets-rip-as-jeremy-corbyn-dies-on-his-lips-labour-election-education

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Very interesting article......and in the Guardian too

You do realise that Crace is a political sketch writer - a pretty good one at that, and this is his style - some of his work on May and Johnson at Question times is very entertaining and he was not beyond giving Corbyn a doing in those either. .

That said, sketch writer or not, there is a lot of truth in that article. I think Corbyn is starting to realise that the 2017 climb in the polls was a fluke and actually had very little to do with him.

Edited by RAyMO

5 hours ago, Setton said:

Ideally, we should be voting on an individual's suitability, irrespective of what petty little gang they are in, in order to elect a competent parliament.   .  Better, we'd be discounting any members of petty little gangs because we know that they won't represent us, only their gang.    But that would be democracy, so would never do!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Boris has been having some fun with the press today. Stories circulating last night of dubious language to be used in his new speech which was instantly seized upon. During the speech today all ears were trained waiting for the word but to no avail, press were not happy as they had their comments pre loaded.  ;) 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-onanism-jeremy-corbyn-m********e-election-campaign-labour-a9200581.html 

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/johnson-criticised-for-calling-corbyn-crude-insult-onanism-1-6373757 

Update - PM tells @tnewtondunn why he cut from his speech the word 'onanist'  to describe Corbyn: "A stray early draft seems to have somehow found its way into your otherwise peerless copy by a process I don’t pretend to understand." :lol: 

Hee hee hee. the new European website showed its colours; when I visited, there was a pop-up advert for an anti-Brexit  mug. :P ("Re-use our mug, Re-fuse their Brexit") 

• Like 1

Nigel / Boris negotiations continuing up to the wire...

source (Sky News)

extracts....

The prime minister was said to be willing to put up "paper candidates" in Labour marginals to give the Brexit Party an advantage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Parties have until 4pm to confirm their candidates for the general election, with the Tories desperate for an 11th-hour deal with Nigel Farage.

In the hours before the deadline, the Conservatives are expected to pile pressure on the Brexit Party leader not to field candidates in Labour-held marginal seats.

But to the dismay of Boris Johnson and his allies, Mr Farage is so far standing firm, refusing to make further concessions beyond the 317 candidates he has already stood down in seats won by the Tories in 2017.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Mr Farage announced his retreat on Monday the Conservatives offered him an electoral pact that would have meant the Brexit Party targeting just 40 key seats, the Daily Telegraph reports.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I would have stood down in lots of key marginals in return for a few on the other side," Mr Farage told the Telegraph. "I would not have even asked for 40. There would have been a guaranteed Leave majority in parliament and they refused to do it.

"It is completely maddening. I said to them: 'I can win you the general election now', and they chose not to take that option."

2 minutes ago, bee said:

Nigel / Boris negotiations continuing up to the wire...

Traitor 

and a  bit of argy bargy going on between Corbyn and SNP's Sturgeon....

random link (BBC)

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has rowed back on comments that he would not back a Scottish independence referendum in the "first term" of a new government.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the SNP will not help Mr Corbyn into power unless he accepts the "principle" of a second referendum.

Mr Corbyn initially told reporters that this would not happen in the first five-year term of a Labour government.

He later clarified that it would not be a priority in the "early years".

26 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Traitor 

Here's one,

7efc9ad8287ef197652b89023239d199e0560e7a0e3a986157f932916502ab13.jpg.e6915e6f2dffff874ad2df1335b3903e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What if you don't want to vote for Borish Johnson, a known drunkard and an idiot, and his gang of clowns? You've got no choice have you? Complete stitch up 

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

What if you don't want to vote for Borish Johnson, a known drunkard and an idiot, and his gang of clowns? You've got no choice have you? Complete stitch up 

Dont forget if Boris gets a majority of 50 seats thats No-Deal Brexit back on the cards!

All predictions as of today say that he is looking at more like 100. No-Deal Brexit, here we come!

Edited by RabidMongoose

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Here's one,

7efc9ad8287ef197652b89023239d199e0560e7a0e3a986157f932916502ab13.jpg.e6915e6f2dffff874ad2df1335b3903e.jpg

When people resort to attacking a candidate's looks, you know they have nothing of substance to criticise. 

46 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Dont forget if Boris gets a majority of 50 seats thats No-Deal Brexit back on the cards!

All predictions as of today say that he is looking at more like 100. No-Deal Brexit, here we come!

Umm... If Boris gets a majority, it's his deal they'll put through. 

10 minutes ago, Setton said:

Umm... If Boris gets a majority, it's his deal they'll put through. 

First of all I`m going to predict the Brexit Party will get less than 10 MPs.

But they will split the Labour Party enough for the Lib Dems to win a lot of their seats. I predict a 50 to 100 seat majority for Boris. With those kind of numbers he should have a majority that would settle with a No-Deal Brexit. And by the time they have read the small print of his deal I suspect they will go for it. I have always maintained since day 1 that we will only ever get out of the EU with a No-Deal Brexit. What is a real shame, and a real shambles, is that it will have taken 4 years to do it.

If the unthinkable happens and we get a Labour Government (all the odds say this is unlikely at this present time) then they will be renegotiating for deal until the next General Election because the EU will not give us what we want ever. They dont want us to leave, so they are playing games to grind us down. I know you want to remain in the EU, you know I want to leave, please be respectful as I have been.

4 hours ago, bee said:

and a  bit of argy bargy going on between Corbyn and SNP's Sturgeon....

random link (BBC)

SNP look like they are digging themselves into a hole. The stop brexit approach does not square with the leave UK IndyRef2 position. Demanding a new IndyRef lost the SNP votes at the last election and should have cost Sturgeon her job. 

The Scottish deficit gives a black hole in their economy, if independent, that would require super austerity or big tax rises to fill. 

Scotland’s notional deficit stood at £12.6bn or 7% of GDP, including North Sea oil revenues, compared with the UK’s total £23.5bn deficit, which includes Scotland’s figure. The UK deficit is equivalent to 1.1% of its GDP.

Scotland’s notional deficit was the highest in the EU. Cyprus had the next nearest, at 4.8%, while Romania’s was at 3% and France at 2.5%. EU membership rules require member states to have a budget deficit below 3%

If Scotland wants to rejoin EU it will have to meet their deficit targets first. SNP wants Trident scrapped and confirmed that a Scottish government would refuse to repay its share of UK debt after independence.

Not something everybody in Scotland will be happy with. 

The SNP do well when sat on the sidelines and sniping at Westminster but not when the GE spotlight is shone in their direction.  

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/21/scotland-2018-deficit-higher-than-uk-as-a-whole-last-year

• Thanks 1