Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK General Election -

bee

and when Nigel said he had been offered a peerage so he would  shut up and go away..... 
and the interviewer goes.... allegedly ... like he didn't know whether he had been offered one or not...

like.... "so you say" but we can't let you say that on telly without any come back..

because...... surely that wouldn't be cricket and surely no one would do that... :rolleyes:

and there's Nige actually advocating getting rid of the House of Lords and replacing it
with an elected chamber... like he was going to fall for THAT...

It would have been all over the papers and Internet and he wouldn't have got a peerage
anyway.... it was so obviously a trick... a trap.... like duh...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Not too desperate, they're riding high in the polls.

Which makes the stunt even more idiotic. 

• Like 1

"Twitter has accused the Conservative Party of "misleading" British voters and vowed to punish it in future after its social media team changed its Twitter branding to resemble independent fact-checkers during ITV's election debate.

"The social network said it would take "decisive corrective action" against "any further attempts to mislead people", but stopped short of punishing the the party for its behaviour on Tuesday night."

At the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/11/20/twitter-accuses-conservatives-misleading-voters-posing-fact/

"Any further attempts to mislead people by editing verified profile information — in a manner seen during the UK Election Debate — will result in decisive corrective action," said a Twitter spokesperson Wednesday. "

At Politico: https://www.politico.eu/article/twitter-warns-uk-tories-over-attempt-to-mislead-voters/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bee said:

perfected

'Perfected' - Might be a bit too much credit. :)

8 hours ago, bee said:

he really has perfected the art of fence sitting when it comes to Brexit...

I imagine that sitting on a fence would hurt your bits , but of course Jeremy hasn't got any .

A big day today with the Labour manifesto launch. Labour have not just pulled out all the stops with this manifesto but ripped them out altogether. Its hard to believe they would be so radical were it not for the fact they are so far behind in the polls?

Even those who want a reversal of austerity will be wondering where all the money is coming from. ;)

In the meantime business and the city can now have a look at project fear Labour style. 

Labour's 'self-destructive' manifesto will drive billions away from UK, business groups warn.

"Matthew Lesh, head of research at the Adam Smith Institute, said: "Jeremy Corbyn’s little red book is the most backwards-looking, self-destructive manifesto in Labour’s history."  

https://www.cityam.com/labours-self-destructive-manifesto-will-drive-billions-away-from-uk-business-groups-warn/ 

Latest polling shows that the economy is a long way down peoples list of priority's. - 

"Brexit is seen as the top issue helping voters decide which party they’ll vote for with 63% mentioning it (note these are spontaneous, top-of-mind responses, not prompted). Brexit is followed by the NHS (mentioned by 41%), education (21%)" 

So trying to move the debate from brexit will not help Labour much, if at all, or seemingly the free internet pledge. Which is born out in the latest polling. 

"The Conservatives maintain a comfortable lead over Labour according to the latest Ipsos MORI Political Monitor. The poll shows the Conservatives on 44%, Labour on 28%, the Liberal Democrats on 16%, the Brexit Party on 3% and the Greens on 3%. These numbers take into account reallocating vote intentions in seats where the Brexit Party, Liberal Democrats, Greens and Plaid Cymru are not standing."

"Those who say they’ll vote Conservative are surer of their vote than those voting Labour. 71% of Conservative supporters say they've definitely decided compared with 54% of Labour supporters. More Liberal Democrats supporters say they may change their mind than are definitely decided (by 60% to 40%)."

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/conservatives-maintain-polling-lead-four-ten-say-they-may-change-their-minds

It reminds me of a previous Labour Party election manifesto that was described at the time by Labour MP Gerald Kaufman as the longest suicide note in history

• Like 1

More polling news - 

Figures out today from Opinium/Observer have the Tories up to 47 per cent, Labour on 28 per cent, the Liberal Democrats on 12 per cent and the Brexit Party down to just three per cent.

Today’s YouGov/The Times poll showed the Tories on 42 per cent and Labour on 30 per cent – identical to Wednesday’s numbers.

Both surveys reveal that Labour’s manifesto launch on Thursday and Friday’s leaders’ edition of Question Time has not given the party a polling bounce, unlike in 2017.

https://www.cityam.com/1294048-2/ 

The lack of a polling bounce was probably the incentive behind today's latest pledge - 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I hate to say it but Labour might well get the keys to No 10 with this. The Tories and Lib Dems have backed a Brexit led campaign. Labour's ludicrous stance is basically remain or remain on another pointless referendum. 

However they have targeted the snowflake generation. The Pied Piper has offered everything for free to the youth and civil service.

They are clearly to young to remember the mess of the 70's. They are educated to believe that austerity is a trait of Tory government to make the rich richer. They have no concept of why austerity was necessary and that a Labour Government was in power before the tick ran dry.

My step daughter and her friends are adamant that unless Corbyn is PM that Trump will be on the first plane over to purchase the NHS. Asked where they got their information apparently it was an economics lecturer.

Billions here and billions there can be got by seizing assests of a minority of earners that will nationalise the whole country and deliver brilliant services which the economics lecturer has boasted were world leading in the 1970's; err ok I grew up with streets full of rubbish and regular power cuts.

More worrying is there seems to be almost a contempt for older people who have been blamed for taking their future as all Brexit voters are over 65 in their minds and cost the country billions in care. I seriously worried that if Corbyn called for a cull on over 60's they would probably vote for it.

I think the country is very vulnerable at the moment such is the split. This is how Tin pot dictators get to.power.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skookum said:

I hate to say it but Labour might well get the keys to No 10 with this. The Tories and Lib Dems have backed a Brexit led campaign. Labour's ludicrous stance is basically remain or remain on another pointless referendum. 

However they have targeted the snowflake generation. The Pied Piper has offered everything for free to the youth and civil service.

to pick up on a couple of points...

I have been saying that support for the Conservatives could have been inflated to keep them away
from making any kind of one off alliance with the Brexit Party... and although they are going to do
well an overall majority is not a done deal... (IMO)... also before the last election there was a surge
for Labour in the opinion polls in the last day or two....

the power of social media influencing young people should not be underestimated...

My step daughter and her friends are adamant that unless Corbyn is PM that Trump will be on the first plane over to purchase the NHS. Asked where they got their information apparently it was an economics lecturer.

The Media based indocrination of people, especially the young... against Trump is astonishing...and concerning - 

More worrying is there seems to be almost a contempt for older people who have been blamed for taking their future as all Brexit voters are over 65 in their minds and cost the country billions in care. I seriously worried that if Corbyn called for a cull on over 60's they would probably vote for it.

Triggered Inexperienced young people lean towards being smug~know~it~alls and can be easily controlled 
by clever propaganda... so who knows .... the Extinction Rebellion lot might go Full Lord of the Flies**
and campaign for a cull to Save the Planet.... :w00t:

Just looked it up - At 70 years old... Corbyn is the oldest of the leaders... :) ... Boris and Nige 55...
and Jo Swinson 39... Nicloa Sturgeon 49... 

source

William Golding’s 1954 novel Lord of the Flies tells the story of a group of young boys who find themselves alone on a deserted island. They develop rules and a system of organization, but without any adults to serve as a 'civilizing' impulse, the children eventually become violent and brutal. In the context of the novel, the tale of the boys' descent into chaos suggests that human nature is fundamentally savage.

Edited by bee
  • Like 1

Nice to see business that Corbyn mentioned in his speeches are moving holdings out of the UK. As they view Corbyn as a threat to this country. Well done. A vision of Labours coming dystopia  (if they get elected)

• Thanks 1

while the polls cannot be taken as detailed indicators of GE outcome - they certainly can be taken as highlighting the general direction.

Tories will win with a majority. Corbyn bounce doesn't, exist never did - it was May who gifted Labour its surge last time round - and Boris is being kept under tight control this time.

Libs and Labour are splitting the vote that could possibly beat Tories - nothing will un-split that now. 

It is only fair that the Tories are in charge when we finally exit in 2021. They deserve the credit or the mess.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

while the polls cannot be taken as detailed indicators of GE outcome - they certainly can be taken as highlighting the general direction.

Tories will win with a majority. Corbyn bounce doesn't, exist never did - it was May who gifted Labour its surge last time round - and Boris is being kept under tight control this time.

Libs and Labour are splitting the vote that could possibly beat Tories - nothing will un-split that now. 

It is only fair that the Tories are in charge when we finally exit in 2021. They deserve the credit or the mess.

Leave 2021. only 5 years after voting leave how damning of our political class and parliament. and by 2021 i can guarantee there will be no UK-EU trade deal. a UK-EU trade deal is another minimum of 7 years away if we look to see the quickest time frame the EU's ever conducted and agreed a deal with a non-eu member,  its taken the EU 7 years to agree a deal with Japan, and still further tariffs will take another 10 years to implement the trade deal in full, with tariffs between Japan and the EU falling from present levels to eventually reach a level between 2% to 0% over the next 10 years. 

I still hope of a Tory majority with enough brexiteers to vote down Boris deal and leave with no deal on the 31st January. But lets make no mistake about it the people are still taking on and fighting the full weight of the establishment. the corridors of power regardless whose in govt still don't agree with the peoples decision and instruction to leave the EU.

plenty of twists left. it ain't over till its over.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the next twist in the election could be how the Labour party holds together in the next few weeks. As election day approaches and if polling stays where it is now, will some Labour MP's seek to distance themselves from the Corbyn project ? Especially those who want a shot at leader or be a big player in the post election Labour party.

In the meantime labours magic money tree philosophy does not seem to be going down as well as last time. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Leave 2021. only 5 years after voting leave how damning of our political class and parliament. and by 2021 i can guarantee there will be no UK-EU trade deal. a UK-EU trade deal is another minimum of 7 years away if we look to see the quickest time frame the EU's ever conducted and agreed a deal with a non-eu member,  its taken the EU 7 years to agree a deal with Japan, and still further tariffs will take another 10 years to implement the trade deal in full, with tariffs between Japan and the EU falling from present levels to eventually reach a level between 2% to 0% over the next 10 years. 

I still hope of a Tory majority with enough brexiteers to vote down Boris deal and leave with no deal on the 31st January. But lets make no mistake about it the people are still taking on and fighting the full weight of the establishment. the corridors of power regardless whose in govt still don't agree with the peoples decision and instruction to leave the EU.

plenty of twists left. it ain't over till its over.

If 52% of the population went on strike I`m pretty sure we would be having a No-Deal Brexit within a matter of days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Where is Corbyn getting his Billions from, unless he has some rich terrorist mates . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

If 52% of the population went on strike I`m pretty sure we would be having a No-Deal Brexit within a matter of days.

probably, but to many people are in debt, mortgages, cars on lease Christmas coming up etc.. i think most are happy giving them a kick at the ballot box like we did in the referendum, and will do at this election, and if they take the mickey again we'll be ready once more, one way or another we are draining the swamp. (to borrow a phrase)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

probably, but to many people are in debt, mortgages, cars on lease Christmas coming up etc.. i think most are happy giving them a kick at the ballot box like we did in the referendum, and will do at this election, and if they take the mickey again we'll be ready once more, one way or another we are draining the swamp. (to borrow a phrase)

Are we going to have a Happy Xmas or a Corbyn Xmas , 

8 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Where is Corbyn getting his Billions from, unless he has some rich terrorist mates . 

From you and me, in Taxes. And from our grandchildren, in terms of government borrowing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Don't drain the swamp as you don't know what slimy creatures are lurking  and ready to crawl out and vote .

15 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Don't drain the swamp as you don't know what slimy creatures are lurking  and ready to crawl out and vote .

Can't be any worse than the ones standing for election .....

47 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Where is Corbyn getting his Billions from, unless he has some rich terrorist mates

well he could have the 39billion earmarked for the EU to start.

Besides trumps lot are 22tillion in debt and nobody cares - so why should the uk worry about a couple here and there.

Basically I'd couldn't care less where Corbyn gets his billions from - its not as if we can vote for his party anyway.

Edited by RAyMO