Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK General Election -

bee

My polling station was doing brisk business when I voted earlier, which is slightly unusual. The weather does not seem to be putting many folks off here in Sir Bill Cash's constituency. 

After what I thought was the final poll there was another from Ipsos MORI. so the final, final, independent poll result was  

Tories on 44% and Labour on 33%, while the Liberal Democrats, according to the poll results, are on course to secure 12% of the vote and Brexit Party 2%. 

The recent polls seem to show the Brexit party vote almost completely wiped out. 

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/britain/uk-election-2019-final-poll-predicts-victory-for-boris-but-one-in-four-voters-still-wavering-38777471.html 

For those of a certain age - Anything can happen in the next ..... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

plenty of people voting round our local polling station for the first time for a few elections  people were actually queing up to vote

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

plenty of people voting round our local polling station for the first time for a few elections  people were actually queing up to vote

Watch the Brexit Party do really well.

6 hours ago, bee said:

I've never seen a Sausage Sizzle Booth...... :unsure2:

Burger and Hot Dog food wagons yes.... if that's the same...?

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Sadly, my cottage is not equipped with a booth ? 

I suppose I could sizzle them in my polytunnel ? 

http://garden-friends.co.uk/thread/4828/roofgardener-2019-earth?page=6&scrollTo=174889

(scroll down a couple of pictures to see polytunnel). 

By both, I meant polling station.

We have the 'democracy sausage' cooking on the BBQ at the places you vote. It's a good thing because voting is on a Saturday after Friday night.

Ps.  That's a nice garden for a bbq.

Edited by Golden Duck

50 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Widespread reports of an unusually high voter turnout so far today.

same here, just got back myself and was going to report a high turnout, which i thought might be localised but as i've read on here its nationwide.

Its the first time ever i've queued at the polling station.

In work to day when i was giving our morning group meeting i was the only one out of 24 people who WASNT voting Labour. this is to be expected here in Liverpool, but what did get me thinking is 22 out the 24 voted Leave previously. :o It did fill me with a ounce of doubt that maybe Labour could win this. oh sheet, as Mr Arnold said, hold on to your butts.

A small increase in the Tory majority compared to the last poll of polls from Electoral Calculus.

General Election Prediction

Current Prediction: Conservative majority 52

Party 2017 Votes 2017 Seats Pred Votes Low Seats Pred Seats High Seats
CON 43.5% 318 43.3% 307 351 398
LAB 41.0% 262 33.9% 178 224 264
LIB 7.6% 12 11.7% 12 13 28
Brexit 0.0% 0 3.2% 0 0 1
Green 1.7% 1 2.7% 0 1 1
SNP 3.1% 35 3.6% 28 41 44

How close will this estimate be ? 

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Thanks 1

Went to vote today. PENCILS were the only thing out. Apparently its standard.

Well not for me cos I got my PEN out.

Whats with the voting in pencil?  

You can not sign a cheque or any forms in pencil but they want you to make your vote in pencil?? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

same here, just got back myself and was going to report a high turnout, which i thought might be localised but as i've read on here its nationwide.

Its the first time ever i've queued at the polling station.

In work to day when i was giving our morning group meeting i was the only one out of 24 people who WASNT voting Labour. this is to be expected here in Liverpool, but what did get me thinking is 22 out the 24 voted Leave previously. :o It did fill me with a ounce of doubt that maybe Labour could win this. oh sheet, as Mr Arnold said, hold on to your butts.

I have a deep suspicion that Corbyn is being handed a kick-in.

People want Brexit finished with due to the instability its caused over the last 3 years.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Thanks 1

Where I work I`m the only one who voted for Brexit.

But strangely 65% of my area voted for it, so I suspect most of them are lying. Due to the really bad attitude of many of those who want to remain in the EU I think many of my work colleagues just kept their mouths shut about really voting to leave lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Went to vote today. PENCILS were the only thing out. Apparently its standard.

Well not for me cos I got my PEN out.

Whats with the voting in pencil?  

You can not sign a cheque or any forms in pencil but they want you to make your vote in pencil?? 

the reason i was told by the clerk some years ago was that elections take place on average every 5 years, so with not being used regularly the ink in most pens would dry out, with a pencil you don't have such issues.

someone at my polling station had put pens out, i suspect it was a member of the public as the pens where all random types.

2 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I have a deep suspicion that Corbyn is being handed a kick-in.

People want Brexit finished with due to the instability its caused over the last 3 years.

i hope so my friend i hope so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, stevewinn said:

the reason i was told by the clerk some years ago was that elections take place on average every 5 years, so with not being used regularly the ink in most pens would dry out, with a pencil you don't have such issues.

Tbe pencils today looked brand new,  not 5 years old. Likely imported from China. 

5 stars though for that utter piece of bs from the clerk. 

With the amount of taxes we pay,  they could easily buy new pens,  like they bought new pencils.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Tbe pencils today looked brand new,  not 5 years old. Likely imported from China. 

5 stars though for that utter piece of bs from the clerk. 

With the amount of taxes we pay,  they could easily buy new pens,  like they bought new pencils.

i thought the same, but seeing as the clerk was an old girl, and volunteering i just politely nodded, with a hmm right. 

The pencils at my polling station were new also.

just googled why they use pencils. apparently -  Pencils are used to mark ballot papers for practical reasons: ink may dry or spill, or could smudge and transfer when the ballot paper is folded.

:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

just googled why they use pencils. apparently -  Pencils are used to mark ballot papers for practical reasons: ink may dry or spill, or could smudge and transfer when the ballot paper is folded.

I think that was in the old days when they used fountain pens and quills..

• Like 1

"It's been dubbed the most importnat election in a generation", says a paper today. Who's dubbed it that, and why? About the best that could be hoped ofr (assuming than one wishes for Brexit) is that Joris Bohnson will now have enough loyal Members that they won't endlessly repeat the same old rigmarole of voting and rejecting and voting and rejecting and rejecting and voting and rejecting some more. It doesn't mean that Brexit will automatically happen. So why all the big fuss?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

i thought the same, but seeing as the clerk was an old girl, and volunteering i just politely nodded, with a hmm right. 

The pencils at my polling station were new also.

To be clear you get paid for polling duty and also get paid for job you would normally be doing also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

"It's been dubbed the most importnat election in a generation", says a paper today. Who's dubbed it that, and why? About the best that could be hoped ofr (assuming than one wishes for Brexit) is that Joris Bohnson will now have enough loyal Members that they won't endlessly repeat the same old rigmarole of voting and rejecting and voting and rejecting and rejecting and voting and rejecting some more. It doesn't mean that Brexit will automatically happen. So why all the big fuss?

Its not just about Brexit, if you compare the Major/ Blair manifestos, or the Cameron /Miliband, then the Boris/ Corbyn choice has a much bigger shift in policy direction. Boris continues much as before while Corbyn nationalises large parts of the economy, goes on a huge borrowing spree and makes big tax changes.

There has not been such a big divergence in policy for a generation.  

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Its not just about Brexit, if you compare the Major/ Blair manifestos, or the Cameron /Miliband, then the Boris/ Corbyn choice has a much bigger shift in policy direction. Boris continues much as before while Corbyn nationalises large parts of the economy, goes on a huge borrowing spree and makes big tax changes.

There has not been such a big divergence in policy for a generation.  

What's Corbyn want to nationalize? 

1 minute ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Its not just about Brexit, if you comparer the Major/ Blair manifestos, or the Cameron /Miliband, then the Boris/ Corbyn choice has a much bigger shift in policy direction. Boris continues much as before

So you believe that somehow, Boris will magically acquire competence and his government the ability to competently run the country?

3 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

So you believe that somehow, Boris will magically acquire competence and his government the ability to competently run the country?

I don't think it will change much under Boris while Corbyn is playing a high stakes game and his brand of economics are not supported. Watch the money markets tonight as the results come in. ;)

• Thanks 1

I went to my Polling Station at the local Methodist Church. 

I asked them whether it bad been busty (e.g. high turnout). They said it had. But then went back to knitting. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

Dont' forget the broadband industry :)

Which is impossible. But what the heck..... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Dont' forget the broadband industry :)

Which is impossible. But what the heck..... 

Hmmm......and his biggest backers are the unions......recipe for disaster if even there was one.

• Thanks 1