Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this what we will look like in 20 years ?

UM-Bot

That neck hump is definitely becoming common. Posture, posture, posture!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Twisted_Caulk said:

I'd still hit it. Quasi Modo lookin' thug hahaha

Desperate times call for desperate measures, huh?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Kenabru said:

We haven't changed much anatomically in the past few thousands of years, but sure twenty more could do it.

That was exactly my first thought.

Whilst undoubtedly we will evolve to adapt our surroundings and day to day situations, 20 years is a miniscule time frame to really notice any change whatsoever that might be occurring. I reckon it's nothing more than a PR stunt for the company and even they don't believe it. I wonder what Richard Dawkins thinks (in between the belly laughs).

• Like 2

We have thus far managed to survive predators, ice ages, migrations, plagues, and inept politicians. If we work together we will survive climate change. That should make surviving the desk and monitor fairly easy.

• Like 3

Well, she's still smiling....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stiff said:

Whilst undoubtedly we will evolve to adapt our surroundings and day to day situations, 20 years is a miniscule time frame to really notice any change whatsoever that might be occurring. I reckon it's nothing more than a PR stunt for the company and even they don't believe it. I wonder what Richard Dawkins thinks (in between the belly laughs).

I'm just assuming, but I think he would disagree. He has stated that he feels that it is quite likely that genetic editing is a more likely future for our evolution. 

• Like 1

If some folks get their way.... 

[00.01:52]

"https://bodypainting-festival.com"

World Bodypainting Festival

~

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 8:33 PM, UM-Bot said:

Researchers have created a life-sized model of what the typical office worker of the future might look like.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/331621/is-this-what-we-will-look-like-in-20-years-time

Looks like a sequel to the Hunchback of Notradame.

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I'm just assuming, but I think he would disagree. He has stated that he feels that it is quite likely that genetic editing is a more likely future for our evolution. 

Fair point but, that's genetic editing and not natural evolution as we know it. The article doesn't actually mention the word 'evolution' so I'm just presuming that's what they are inferring?

On 10/30/2019 at 11:32 AM, Stiff said:

I think this sums up the reality perfectly.

I remember an article earlier talking about some bump on the back of our head developing because of the head balancing from looking down so much.

I don't think evolution happens over decades, but rather centuries or more likely millennia.

PR stunts, shock values, and ratings grab is what I think of when I read these things. While that process may really have started, I don't think evolution keeps pace with technological development.

Our bodies obviously still haven't fully adapted to modern transportation, as people still experience motion sickness and trouble seeing at night. Not everyone, but still not turn-key functions of our species despite the environmental change being over 100 years old.

• Thanks 1

Yeah not happening!

• Like 1

Incredibly dumb all around. Obviously we won't look like that in 20 years, unless mandatory neck disfigurement becomes commonplace in the office.

Just some "shock value" BS.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 1:52 PM, Stiff said:

Fair point but, that's genetic editing and not natural evolution as we know it. The article doesn't actually mention the word 'evolution' so I'm just presuming that's what they are inferring?

They are definitely inferring that. It's about as valid as lamarckism is the point though. 

“This drawing uses Lamarckian evolution theory to predict  the result of future human evolution. Lamarck’s discredited theory proposed that living things evolved out of necessity. So, this future human exhibits features accordingly.

This drawing is utterly inconsistent with present-day, Darwinian evolution theory. Instead of making predictions based on strident presumptive logic, modern evolution theory recognizes the power of unpredictable environmental circumstances that have the potential to produce unexpected results.

Interpretation: There is no reason to suspect future humans will be much different from us.”

https://mattdenisonconfused.wordpress.com/tag/humans/

I consider genetic editing natural. We control our environment now, it's only natural that the next step is evolution. There's nothing to say this path isn't inevitable. 

• Like 1

The biggest change in human anatomy that we can see...is the fact that, generally, we are getting taller.  Mostly, this is happening very quickly/recently and yet ,I see absolutely no reason for it.  We see evidence of it by looking at suits of armor in museums, whether Japanese or European.   Is there an understandable explanation for our rather suddenly getting taller ?

9 hours ago, lightly said:

The biggest change in human anatomy that we can see...is the fact that, generally, we are getting taller.  Mostly, this is happening very quickly/recently and yet ,I see absolutely no reason for it.  We see evidence of it by looking at suits of armor in museums, whether Japanese or European.   Is there an understandable explanation for our rather suddenly getting taller ?

Mostly likely it's due to better diet....though wal-mart makes me question if we're gaining girth. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, psyche101 said:

They are definitely inferring that. It's about as valid as lamarckism is the point though. 

I think I know that guy :lol:

• Haha 1

In 20 years are we even going to have to sit to work? Will we even use desks? Will we use screens?

Lot of assumptions here.

Probably in 20 years, office workers will go into a dry gel tank with a jack into their head and do everything in VR, with a robot as their hands if needed. Then climb out in the evening and ride the rolling sidewalks home.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Mostly likely it's due to better diet....though wal-mart makes me question if we're gaining girth. 

That might make perfect sence.  I'd considered that, and was expecting someone to say it....but I still don't quite understand why that would cause increased height.    Girth?   Yes..I'd attribute that to less exercise in modern life.  ?

8 minutes ago, lightly said:

That might make perfect sence.  I'd considered that, and was expecting someone to say it....but I still don't quite understand why that would cause increased height.    Girth?   Yes..I'd attribute that to less exercise in modern life.  ?

I think the change in lifestyle which has eliminated labor at a young age , and entirely throughout their lives for some, has a lot to do with it. Without the constant degeneration in the joints, bones and soft tissues caused by wear and tear our bodies are able to reach their full potential.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1