Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blue Light

Morgan165

Kind of long but worth the read!

So, I work at a haunted house in Ohio. I work in the woods. My spot is about ten feet away from a chain link fence. On the other side of the fence is about 10-15 feet of solid ground and then there's a cliff. It is almost impossible for anyone to get over there. The fence is 10 feet tall and has barbed wire on top of it. I was set to scare a group and then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blue flash about 7 feet from the fence on the cliff side. I looked at the girl who was working with me, and she said she didn't see it. I then saw it flash again a couple of minutes later. The flashes were about half a second long. The I told my manager, because I thought they were pranking us, and he laughed in my face and said there's no light. One of the other actors came up to my spot. He has worked there for many years. We told him and he didn't believe us. He then saw the light, and freaked out so much, he had to go back to his original spot. The night ended with 10 or 12 of us seeing this light. My manager would stop and stare where we saw the light, not see it, and then as he would turn around and walk away, it would flash.

I talked to my science teacher and he said it was either foliage releasing methane, which can glow in certain conditions. This doesn't make sense because it flashed, not glowed. My other teacher said it could have been static electricity from the chain link fence. But, after some research, I read that it would flash more like lightning rather than an LED spotlight. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? We thought maybe someone could be pranking us but it's almost impossible because of the cliff and fence. So we were thinking ghosts or aliens?? I would like to think logically, but logically, nothing makes sense. Thanks for reading. I hope to get answers soon.

• Like 1

Probably a drone that someone used to prank you.

I would agree with you but it was on the ground and shined up on a tree. It almost started to look like someone was standing over the light too.

You are working a haunted house and want to denounce a hoax or something worldly and call it paranormal?

When i was young i saw an odd green orb very eerie light floating over my neighbors rooftops, it would randomly flash on and off, as if intelligent,

I was sure it was some epic ghost, alien i didnt know what it was but it couldn't be of this world.

It was a firefly.

5 hours ago, the13bats said:

You are working a haunted house and want to denounce a hoax or something worldly and call it paranormal?

When i was young i saw an odd green orb very eerie light floating over my neighbors rooftops, it would randomly flash on and off, as if intelligent,

I was sure it was some epic ghost, alien i didnt know what it was but it couldn't be of this world.

It was a firefly.

You sure it wasnt a ghost of a firefly?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

You sure it wasnt a ghost of a firefly?

You know I um, well, let me see if my buddy PG will let me borrow his meter, oh, yeah, it's 78% likely the ghost of a firefly.

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You know I um, well, let me see if my buddy PG will let me borrow his meter, oh, yeah, it's 78% likely the ghost of a firefly.

Hey, it's a completely reliable scientific method!!

8 hours ago, Morgan165 said:

I saw a blue flash about 7 feet from the fence on the cliff side.

Sounds like a camera flash.

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

It was a firefly.

Well I wouldn't make stuff up. It is very impossible that I'm imagining things too. 10+ of us saw it. I find it insulting you think I'm stupid enough to mistake a Firefly for something else. All I want to know if there is something scientific or if it's logically unexplainable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Sounds like a camera flash.

That sort of makes sense, but it was bright blue and flashed for different lengths of time. I also don't think it's very easy to get up on that ledge. But it's still a possibility. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, Morgan165 said:

That sort of makes sense, but it was bright blue and flashed for different lengths of time. I also don't think it's very easy to get up on that ledge. But it's still a possibility. Thank you.

That maybe due to exposure length, but at this point in time, meh, no idea. If nothing malicious has occurred, then it's probably just random weirdness. 

Maybe it was lightening after all.

3 hours ago, MissJatti said:

Maybe it was lightening after all.

I'm sorry to shoot your idea down but it was blue and came up from the ground.

23 minutes ago, Morgan165 said:

Wait. You said it came from a ledge? Now the ground?

1 hour ago, Morgan165 said:

That's what lightning do, they go up from ground to sky... Read this link if you don't believe me.

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/580/why-does-lightning-strike-from-the-ground-up

Way before Sir Arthur Conan Doyle became associated with Sherlock Holmes, he wrote a short story -- The Mystery of Sasassa Valley. Therein could lie a most interesting answer to your observation.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, XenoFish said:

Wait. You said it came from a ledge? Now the ground?

The whole area on the other side of the fence is a cliff. There's about 50 feet between the fence and the cliff. The light was about 15 feet from the fence.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:15 AM, MissJatti said:

That's what lightning do, they go up from ground to sky... Read this link if you don't believe me.

https://earthscience.stackexchange.com/questions/580/why-does-lightning-strike-from-the-ground-up

Thank you for letting me know about this. I will look into it more but lightning doesnt seem very likely due to the manner of the light. But I will continue to look.

12 minutes ago, Morgan165 said:

The whole area on the other side of the fence is a cliff. There's about 50 feet between the fence and the cliff. The light was about 15 feet from the fence.

Is this area near a body of water? A lake perhaps? 

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Is this area near a body of water? A lake perhaps? 

No. It's just a wooded ravine with houses on the other side.

12 minutes ago, Morgan165 said:

No. It's just a wooded ravine with houses on the other side.

Could the light have originated from those houses? 

Just now, XenoFish said:

Could the light have originated from those houses? 

I don't think so. That's what my manager said but it came from the ground and went straight up.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:45 PM, Morgan165 said:

I don't think so. That's what my manager said but it came from the ground and went straight up.

Lasted about half a second, came from the ground and blue. Lightning.