Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Twitter to ban all political advertising

ExpandMyMind

Twitter is to ban all political advertising worldwide, saying that the reach of such messages "should be earned, not bought".

"While internet advertising is incredibly powerful and very effective for commercial advertisers, that power brings significant risks to politics," company CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted.

Social media rival Facebook recently ruled out a ban on political ads.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50243306

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

But but but trump lives to twit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, the13bats said:

He can still post. It's political advertising that's banned from Twitter, not the politicians themselves.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

After seeing Facebook screw the pooch so bad last week I think its the smart play.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

He can still post. It's political advertising that's banned from Twitter, not the politicians themselves.

Well, what's the real difference between advertising and self promotion?

I heard somewhere trump likes to sit on the can at 4am and twit, perhaps a TP company would sponsor his twits,

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Trumps tweets are his advertisement but I bet they don't ban him.

• Like 4

Are television stations held accountable for the content in advertising they are paid to show?  I'm not really for this although I really don't care as I don't twit or FB. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Trumps tweets are his advertisement but I bet they don't ban him.

Trump will be an interesting test case for them.  But "better soon than later"; there will be others trying this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Are television stations held accountable for the content in advertising they are paid to show?  I'm not really for this although I really don't care as I don't twit or FB. 

Yes. That's the main problem with social media political advertising. It's not properly fact-checked (or regulated in general), so anyone can take out an ad saying anything they want. Both Dems and Republicans have demonstrated that Facebook will allow you to post things along the lines of 'Gowdy voted for the Green Deal' or 'Sanders voted for the Glass Steagall Act' and people, especially older voting people, will often just believe it. I don't see how anyone could see that as anything but dangerous to a democracy and free society, no matter your political affiliation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Yes. That's the main problem with social media political advertising. It's not properly fact-checked (or regulated in general), so anyone can take out an ad saying anything they want. Both Dems and Republicans have demonstrated that Facebook will allow you to post things along the lines of 'Gowdy voted for the Green Deal' or 'Sanders voted for the Glass Steagall Act' and people, especially older voting people, will often just believe it. I don't see how anyone could see that as anything but dangerous to a democracy and free society, no matter your political affiliation.

I don't believe it's any different on the TV or radio.  I don't believe that NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN Fox, etc. are required to fact check their advertisers.  There are certain requirements about equal access that is the network or channels responsibility but not content.

edit:

And they should be allowed to lie if they so choose, and then when they are caught out it will give us a much better idea of who we are dealing with.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I FB but haven't seen ads. Memes from people on my timeline but not political ads. I'd just block them anyway. This is a good idea if they all do it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Trump will be an interesting test case for them. 

It's gonna be a sticky wicket, the anti trumpets will hunt for any little twit that could be construed as promotion perhaps something as simple as him boasting how great he is could do it.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out,

As far as promotion goes my wife gets a letter from his campaign people wanting her to donate, we are spider web skinny right now and a guy who boasts of multi billions wants us to support him, ( we dont support any of them ) I know someone will tell me how im wrong but it sure sits poorly with me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

That's a great stand to take, but the ban also has to do with fake advertising, and fake political ads. It's a shame others aren't following in this matter, but I suppose the almighty Dollar rules the day for many.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Like 2

Does that include all twitters from politicians? Oh dear .. :( 

53 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Does that include all twitters from politicians? Oh dear .. :( 

I dont know but most cant twit without self aggrandizing which is a form of promotion, advertisement when an election is coming.

13 hours ago, OverSword said:

And they should be allowed to lie if they so choose, and then when they are caught out it will give us a much better idea of who we are dealing with.

Thats nuts in our current paradigm where we have lost even the most basic ability to have commonly agreed upon facts.

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Thats nuts in our current paradigm where we have lost even the most basic ability to have commonly agreed upon facts.

In that case the truth is subjective and there are no lies :P