Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

19th Century anti-witchcraft potion found

Still Waters

A Victorian bottle thought to have been used to ward off evil spells has been found at the birthplace of a "witch".

Angeline Tubbs, known as the Witch of Saratoga, was born at the former Star and Garter Inn, in Watford village, Northamptonshire, in about 1761.

She is still the subject of ghost tours at Saratoga Springs in New York, where she moved, aged 15, and told fortunes.

The 19th Century bottle was found during roof repairs and contains fish hooks, human teeth, glass and a liquid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50186758

• Like 5

So people tried to ward off witchcraft...by using witchcraft. All right then.

The Hamilton is a bit late for a witches bottle but i suppose in the countryside suspicions were still strong, 15th,16th, century Bellarmine jugs and 17th,18th, century onion bottles were used often found buried under a doorway.

Supposedly (wiki) she lived in hut with group of cats and died at age 104.

Edited by Bed of chaos

Does this potion work?

On 10/31/2019 at 11:07 PM, Still Waters said:

A Victorian bottle thought to have been used to ward off evil spells has been found at the birthplace of a "witch".

Angeline Tubbs, known as the Witch of Saratoga, was born at the former Star and Garter Inn, in Watford village, Northamptonshire, in about 1761.

She is still the subject of ghost tours at Saratoga Springs in New York, where she moved, aged 15, and told fortunes.

The 19th Century bottle was found during roof repairs and contains fish hooks, human teeth, glass and a liquid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50186758

That an interesting find, I wonder why they didn't test the liquid to see what it is. I suppose it could just be condensation from siting all those years. anyway it's interesting.

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

That an interesting find, I wonder why they didn't test the liquid to see what it is. I suppose it could just be condensation from siting all those years. anyway it's interesting.

The liquids usually urine.