Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why everything we think we know about ghosts

macqdor

Why Everything We Think We Know About Ghosts Is (Probably!) Wrong

https://jerome23.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/why-everything-we-think-we-know-about-ghosts-is-probably-wrong/?fbclid=IwAR3j_6R4uFDQgPmmDjjKQER5XwAcBXSM4yH_8gAedABd-rb2YuB9ybeTNaE

...."Investigating Ghosts

How do we research the ghost experience? There are several methods. ........"

beings.jpg

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to Why everything we think we know about ghosts

That's not how dimensions work. Besides nature's 4 (3D +time), they are all mathematical constructs only.

A 5D (4D +time) creature could only exist in a 5D universe - if such one is even possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Great way to start out an article:

Why Everything We Think We Know About Ghosts Is (Probably!) Wrong 

"It is easy to be controversial, and makes for a good title. So I must begin with an admission; I have no idea what the reader believes about ghosts, and so can’t tell if you are wrong or not, and secondly I’m probably wrong myself."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

That's not how dimensions work. Besides nature's 4 (3D +time), they are all mathematical constructs only.

A 5D (4D +time) creature could only exist in a 5D universe - if such one is even possible.

If you were a superstring or M string kind of a guy you could boost that up to 10 or 11 dimensions, but that would give us all 10 or 11 dimensions, not just special beings. 

maqdor, we can talk about a 2 dimensional being in our universe, but it is a thought experiment.  There don't seem to be any 2 dimensional beings in our three dimensional universe. Unless, are you sure ghosts are not 2 dimensional beings in a 3 dimensional universe? All they would have to do to disappear or move through walls would be turn sideways. 

• Like 3

@Tatetopa

what strings and the idea of multi-dimensions say about parallel universes. two universe running side by side concurrently.

the universe we live in. Time moves forward in one direction only.

a universe next to ours, experiencing a theoretical Big Crunch! Opposite of Big Bang. Time runs in reverse as does the people in it?

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

If you were a superstring or M string kind of a guy you could boost that up to 10 or 11 dimensions, but that would give us all 10 or 11 dimensions, not just special beings.

Correct, but I consider string theory a failure, because it has failed to produce any predictions, and because it is untestable. It's basically a blunder.

A truly succesful theory that we do have, is quantum field theory, and it has only 3D +time. We likey likey! :tu:

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 4

I think that higher dimensional being explanation in the OP is about the best understanding out there that we can grasp without needing any mind-blowing concepts.

• Thanks 1

Correct, but I consider string theory a failure, because it has failed to produce any predictions, and because it is untestable. It's basically a blunder.

A truly succesful theory that we do have, is quantum field theory, and it has only 3D +time. We likey likey! 

@sci-nerd

where were you a few months ago when i said exactly the same thing.

string theory has been a failure for quite some time.

3 minutes ago, macqdor said:

@sci-nerd

where were you a few months ago when i said exactly the same thing.

string theory has been a failure for quite some time.

Must have missed it, and I don't subscribe to any threads. Too many notifications.

Despite it's shortcomings, however, we can't rule it out. It's just low on the credibility scale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

I think that higher dimensional being explanation in the OP is about the best understanding out there that we can grasp without needing any mind-blowing concepts.

Nonsense.

I'll give you spiritual's one extra undebunkable dimension, you can have in peace though.
Qualia, imagination, thoughts and dreams!
They are barely measurable, but they exist without doubt, and they make up a world of their own inside each person.
Very dimension-ish!

It is in that dimension spirits and ghosts reside.

Edited by sci-nerd

27 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Nonsense.

I'll give you spiritual's one extra undebunkable dimension, you can have in peace though.
They are barely measurable, but they exist without doubt, and they make up a world of their own inside each person.
Very dimension-ish!

I don't see why I would call that a dimension? Those things seem to me more like activity in dimensions.

I'm open to the idea that spirits (geist), ghosts, etc reside in a dimension parallel to our own.  Some of the "geist" activity experienced by many going back centuries points to that being true.

Example:

• Items falling out of thin area feel hot (sometimes) cold to the touch
  • objects move in the air at phenomenal speeds. the area is too small for momentum to build up at some of the speeds witnessed. The average speed a baseball pitcher throws hovers between 50 to 60 mph.  Objects thrown in house by poltergeist appear much faster.
  • Items appearing from nowhere don't fit the time period there in.
  • Noises, sounds - sound dated.
  • raining inside a house, etc

@sci-nerd

Edited by macqdor

2 minutes ago, macqdor said:

I'm open to the idea that spirits (geist), ghosts, etc reside in a dimension parallel to our own.  Some of the "geist" activity experienced by many going back centuries points to that being true.

Example:

• Items falling out of thin area feel hot (sometimes) cold to the touch
  • objects move in the air at phenomenal speeds. the area is too small for momentum to build up at some of the speeds witnessed. The average speed a baseball pitcher throws hovers between 50 to 60 mph.  Objects thrown in house by poltergeist appear much faster.
  • Items appearing from nowhere don't fit the time period there in.
  • Noises, sounds - sound dated.
  • raining inside a house, etc

@sci-nerd

• Evidence required or it's just hearsay
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Nonsense.

Very dimension-ish!

Ghost being a figment of the imagination is the only reality. People believe and sometimes that belief is strong enough to create a visual hallucination, phantom sensation and sounds. No one seems willing to give their own brains credit.

• Like 2

Some hearsays are more truthful than evidence.

7 billion people cant all be in the same house when phenomena (above) breaks out.

U want to experience it? Witness it 1st hand? I suggest u become an investigator.  

U got a 1%

Not bad percentage considering. 

42 minutes ago, macqdor said:

U want to experience it? Witness it 1st hand? I suggest u become an investigator.  

U got a 1%

Not bad percentage considering. 

Try evocation in cemeteries, abandoned locations. Try conjuring gods, angels and demons using a scrying mirror. Maybe spread a memetic suggestion of a ghost and see the effect of that suggestion. Sit down comfortably in your chair with eyes closed. Imagine someone placing their hands on your shoulders. Visualize it, think about the pressure, are the hands warm or cold. Repeat those thoughts over and over, eventually you'll feel those imaginary hands. If that doesn't make you think ghost are a psychological phenomena I do not know what will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty clueless OP. It sounds like a bad version of the book Flatland. 

The problem is that the universe as far as can be detected is a 4D universe. There are ideas about determining if there are other dimensions to our universe. I don't mean the "other place" sort of use that the woo crowd uses, but actual dimensions as in the use of the word by science. There are predictions as to how to detect these even at the scale of string theory.

https://phys.org/news/2018-09-gravitational-dose-reality-extra-dimensions.html

One theory is that over long distances, gravity would "leak" into the additional dimensions. This would cause gravity to appear weaker, and could account for the inconsistencies.

University of Chicago astronomers found no evidence for extra spatial dimensions to the universe based on the gravitational wave data.

This is science and not incoherent ramblings of wacky people. If there are extra dimensions to the universe then they must be very small indeed.

The odd mention of "angles" in the OP is good reason to see that their ideas are not well understood. A 2D creature living in a restricted 2D universe could only see the projections of higher dimensional objects. But there appear to be no higher dimensions in our universe. There appear to be no objects restricted to a realm less than the 4D of our universe.

For those unfamiliar with the concept of a projection here is one.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Projection.html

If there were a 5D object in our universe we'd see its 4D projection in our universe. It would NOT be hidden. The problem with the 2D analog in the OP is that the 3D observer has no projection in the 2D world. It's not about angles. It is all about projection. The OP truly needs to read Flatworld to understand what they are trying to state.

Edited by stereologist
  • Like 1