Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Robert Taylor UFO incident, 40yrs on

Eldorado

"A mystery that would have had even Mulder and Scully scratching their heads will celebrate its 40th anniversary next month.

"In 1979, in a wooded area popular with joggers and dog-walkers, a West Lothian man claimed to have come face-to-face with alien life in an encounter that has become celebrated by UFO enthusiasts from around the world.

"November marks 40 years since Robert Taylor said he was confronted by a UFO at Dechmont Law woods in Livingston."

Full monty at Scotland's Daily Record: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/40-year-old-ufo-mystery-20749253

Robert Taylor Incident at Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident

• Like 2

"Campbell suggested Taylor's attack may have been stimulated by a mirage of Venus"

bwahahahaha…..that theory is more unlikely than the aliens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Certainly, one would attempt to rule out the more likely, such as medical conditions--medications, epilepsy, psychogenic seizure, even low blood pressure or sugar that might bring about a blackout and the subsequent difficulty he had attempting to drive home. Yet, the dog was potential evidence too.

A bit odd to me such a weak case is held so high with some believers.

The guy had health issues that effect the brain so that all has to be considered, and let's face it no craft that travels outside the atmosphere as in space would have any use for propellers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

One thing for sure, there is zero evidence that, if he did encounter something in the woods, it came from another planet  ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

One thing for sure, there is zero evidence that, if he did encounter something in the woods, it came from another planet  ;) 

Ive wondered many times about a few cases like the guy with dots burnt on his stomach,

Some experimental craft private or military and these people describe it in a way that they can with ehat they know,

Years back a guy sees my DJ set up, top end over a decade ago, lap top, mixing boards midi etc etc in a case, big, bulky flashy, he says, damn are you are the helm of the enterprise...many things we see are anout context and interpretation,

Last night a small boy tricker treating asked is that real fire, I asked why, does it look pretend? He says, no but it if its real it will set your house on fire, to me that's a bright lad, he used context to wonder is this not as it appears, he questioned something that in his mind didnt add up.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I'll bet that the secret story is he got anally probed too. Nobody wants to talk about it but I haven't ever heard of a UFO encounter where someone wasn't probed  and probed hard. The truth is out there.

Edited by tortugabob
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, tortugabob said:

I'll bet that the secret story is he got anally probed too. Nobody wants to talk about it but I haven't ever heard of a UFO encounter where someone wasn't probed  and probed hard. The truth is out there.

Tales of gang alien probing are frightening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tortugabob said:

What goes on in the spacecraft... stays in the spacecraft wink1.gif

• Haha 4

On 10/31/2019 at 10:18 PM, Eldorado said:

"A mystery that would have had even Mulder and Scully scratching their heads will celebrate its 40th anniversary next month.

"In 1979, in a wooded area popular with joggers and dog-walkers, a West Lothian man claimed to have come face-to-face with alien life in an encounter that has become celebrated by UFO enthusiasts from around the world.

"November marks 40 years since Robert Taylor said he was confronted by a UFO at Dechmont Law woods in Livingston."

Full monty at Scotland's Daily Record: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/40-year-old-ufo-mystery-20749253

Robert Taylor Incident at Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Taylor_incident

Yes it has to be one of my favourite cases.  Trace evidence, man sustains injuries, torn clothing, police take it seriously.

The only lacking element is witnesses. Not surprising due to its location though.

The man was a down to earth forestry worker and was respected in his local community.  Must have taken a great deal of guts to come forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Essan said:

Maybe it didn't.  There are a multitude of options, none of which involve the work of human beings.  Whom I might add possessed nothing like this back then and still don't to this day.

You might of course agree with one skeptic who maintains it was nothing other than the planet Venus :wub:

Each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A weather balloon fell on him. Or maybe swamp gas exploded and blew him into the brush.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This has to be one of t he grand non-events along with the case of another woodsman named Travis Walton.

There is nothing in this that isn't prosaic. Ripped trousers, a story, and some marks on the ground.

Here is one person that thinks Taylor told a confused story.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ufo-investigator-claims-answer-one-2837456

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, stereologist said:

This has to be one of t he grand non-events along with the case of another woodsman named Travis Walton.

There is nothing in this that isn't prosaic. Ripped trousers, a story, and some marks on the ground.

Here is one person that thinks Taylor told a confused story.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ufo-investigator-claims-answer-one-2837456

Yes he was the one who claimed Venus if I recall.  As I said each to their own.

A disappearing water tower is original though.

Edited by Vaz
  • Haha 1

This is one of my all time favourite close encounter cases, If you you search Robert Taylor UFO on YouTube there is a little segment on the case including an interview with him.
Alien Abduction Discord

Edited by jessicaisparanoid
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

A very interesting case. Explanation isn't very convincing to me. How to explain torn clothing and ripped trousers  for example. Or different marks. Did he have a history of epileptic attacs? A mirage of Venus? This reminds me of Virginha incident, a bunch of shady arguments. On the other hand, it is also hard to believe that UFO landed...but who knows. Also, it seems to me that police came to conclusion that fellow was attacked.

Edited by TrumanB
  • Thanks 1

Here are people who think that marks were not made by pipes:

• Thanks 1

Certainly an interesting case. 

1. What would have been his potential motivation for producing such a hoax? Did he profit from this or use it to support an existing view? Not as far as I can see. 

2. I have plenty of experience of epilepsy and seizures through a family member, I myself have had low glucose insulin induced fits which have rendered me unconscious. I have never heard of my cousin experienced any other kind of hallucinations during a seizure beyond sparkling white dots across his vision just before an episode occurs. I have never hallucinated during a fit either. Now to imagine having a full on hallucination of a UFO, with accompanying orbs, sensations of being held and dragged, smells and sounds seemingly relevant to the situation and all whilst having a fit doesn't fit as an explanation in my eyes. I could not find another example, with a quick search, which would support this hypothesis. 

3. Venus? ****H 

4. I would like to know the other 9 potential explanations that will be presented in the talk mentioned in the OP's link. 

5. Certainly he and his story seemed credible enough at the time to warrant an investigation and conclusion of an assault having taken place. Does this mean aliens? Nope but it's strange nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Just to mention that sceptics didn't call this a hoax, only hallucination by this man.

• Like 2