Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bernie Sanders: Cut aid to Israel...

RoofGardener

“My solution is to say to Israel: you get $3.8 billion dollars every year, if you want military aid you’re going to have to fundamentally change your relationship to the people of Gaza,” Sanders said. “In fact, I think it is fair to say that some of that should go right now into humanitarian aid in Gaza.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/bernie-sanders-u-s-should-withhold-military-aid-unless-israel-fundamentally-changes-its-relationship-with-people-of-gaza/

It has to be said... does Israel really NEED 3.5 Billion dollars of US military equipment each year ? I guess it has a commitment to continue with its F-35 program, but beyond that, what can the USA supply that Israel can't build for itself ? 

The problem with diverting aid to Gaza is avoiding it being hijacked by HAMAS. 

Edited by RoofGardener

"It was in that moment Bernie knew he would never become President."

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

It has to be said... does Israel really NEED 3.5 Billion dollars of US military equipment each year ? I guess it has a commitment to continue with its F-35 program, but beyond that, what can the USA supply that Israel can't build for itself ? 

Does Israel need an extra 3.5 billion dollars a year, he asks. 

I'm sure Israel can build a lot by itself, but I doubt they can do it for free.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Does Israel need an extra 3.5 billion dollars a year, he asks. 

I'm sure Israel can build a lot by itself, but I doubt they can do it for free.

High-tech border walls are not cheap

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It shouldn't surprise anyone that he's a self-hating Jew.  The Democrat Party seems to be their religion.

• Like 1

Typical shell game.  We give our weapons and aerospace companies $3.5 billion and in return they deliver $1 billion of equipment to Israel.  Everybody's happy and tax payers are too ignorant to know why.

edit: And Bernie is a dumbass.  Just sayin.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, and then said:

self-hating Jew. 

That's what my Jewish friends must be. :yes:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

That's what my Jewish friends must be. :yes:

You'd know better on that score.  Most Jews who vote Democrat probably are or at a minimum, they aren't Jewish in religious terms.  They seem to resemble the same European Jews that never tried to flee or fight back, even as it became deadly clear where things were headed.  A day will come when they'll want to make Aliyah after working against the only Jewish refuge and if there's any justice they'll be denied entry.

3 minutes ago, and then said:

You'd know better on that score.  Most Jews who vote Democrat probably are or at a minimum, they aren't Jewish in religious terms.  They seem to resemble the same European Jews that never tried to flee or fight back, even as it became deadly clear where things were headed.  A day will come when they'll want to make Aliyah after working against the only Jewish refuge and if there's any justice they'll be denied entry.

2 of my anti-Israel Jewish friends are decorated WWII vets. One a sniper that served with my grandpop another a fighter ace who was in my Uncle Henry's unit and my CAP C.O. 

They are both Republicans... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

2 of my anti-Israel Jewish friends are decorated WWII vets. One a sniper that served with my grandpop another a fighter ace who was in my Uncle Henry's unit and my CAP C.O. 

They are both Republicans... 

They sound like good people.  I assume they have their reasons for believing Israel needs to be gone or they simply don't accept that the state ever should have been allowed to form.  That's their right.  If they ever need to escape to Israel because they are hated here for being Jewish, I'd say they have no right to expect that mercy.  Those who actively work against Israel, especially if they understand the goals of Israel's enemies, have no right to expect mercy when the Jew hatred of the 30s comes back in full effect.  And it will.  History proves that it always comes around again.

My support of the Jewish state is based on my faith and also on the inequities I see where Jews are concerned.  I have no illusions about the people of Israel or their government structure being more moral or superior to other people or governments on the planet.  I simply refuse to accept the rhetoric that they are worse, either.  It will be an interesting dynamic to watch unfold when that state loses all its "friends" in the world and its enemies finally feel the time is right to make it and her people disappear.

Maybe those who believe they "have it coming" will finally be satisfied when a few million of them die and the rest suffer unimaginable oppression.  They'd better get their satisfaction early, though.  Things turn rather dramatically back to the favor of Israelis after a few years and her enemies are basically annihilated.  It's a shame that so many who hate Israel and Jews will also suffer horrendously but choices have consequences and by the time Arabs and others are adults they have the choice to break with the indoctrination they had as children.  

BTW, what did your uncle's friend fly?  When I was at the Yorktown memorial in Charleston, I had a chance to see several Navy aircraft from WWII and to explain the role a couple of them played at the battle of Midway.  They had an Avenger with a torpedo slung underneath as well as a Dauntless dive bomber.  My daughter acted like she was looking at dinosaurs :)   

I also had a lesson myself.  I had no idea that some of the old WWII Essex class were retrofitted with steam catapults for launching jet aircraft.  It was quite an experience.  They also offered a night-tour for ghost stories :) 

26 minutes ago, and then said:

BTW, what did your uncle's friend fly?  When I was at the Yorktown memorial in Charleston, I had a chance to see several Navy aircraft from WWII and to explain the role a couple of them played at the battle of Midway.  They had an Avenger with a torpedo slung underneath as well as a Dauntless dive bomber.  My daughter acted like she was looking at dinosaurs :)   

P-51 with a real live Merlin. He also played with the ones that came into our Airfield (Millville) which also hosts a museum. 

He's deceased now. Sid Brody. He's on a few memorial lists. 

• Like 3

Yeah!  The P-51 without the Merlin wasn't much but after they put a Rolls Royce under the hood it became, arguably the best fighter of that war.  My fav was always the Corsair, though.

10 hours ago, and then said:

It shouldn't surprise anyone that he's a self-hating Jew.  The Democrat Party seems to be their religion.

But Sanders is not against the state of Israel. There’s no inconsistency between supporting Israel as a strategic partner important to the Jewish community in the U.S. (which is overwhelmingly Democratic) and around the world and criticizing some of its policies and hard-line politicians, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/2/2019 at 2:53 AM, and then said:

i had a hunch you'd post in this particular thread. 

• Haha 2

On 11/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, and then said:

Wait I thought you were all about stopping aid to nations with corruption problems?

Israel PM Netanyahu faces final hearings in corruption cases

Guess that only matters if a democrat is involved huh?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Wait I thought you were all about stopping aid to nations with corruption problems?

Israel PM Netanyahu faces final hearings in corruption cases

Guess that only matters if a democrat is involved huh?

ROFL.... good point :D 

Mind you... there will be layoffs in the US defence industry if the US does indeed stop all "aid" to Israel. 

Personally, I think it is about time that Israel stood on its own two feet when it comes to defence expenditure. It does it no favours to keep getting these multi-billion 'gifts'. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, and then said:

Criticism of Israel is not hatred of Jews. 

But you know that perfectly well by now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Setton said:

Criticism of Israel is not hatred of Jews. 

But you know that perfectly well by now. 

whilst that is true, it is ALSO true that most jew-haters criticise Israel :)

17 hours ago, acidhead said:

Well, in the context of cutting military aid to Israel, let us not forget that the aircraft in this picture are American F-15's :P 

Edited by RoofGardener

$3.8 Billion a year is a wise investment for the US, due to the amount of knowledge that flows from Israel back to the US and around the world. For a country with a population of only 8.6 million people, their influence on technology and medical research is phenomenal. 

If we (and other nations) stop providing military support to Israel, Israel’s enemies will see that as a green light to attack and destroy Israel. The oft-repeated threat to “drive the Jews into the sea” would force Israel to divert R&D funds into military defense. That would be a loss for the entire world. 

From the link below:

....“Israel has the most mature tech ecosystem by far. After the United States and China, Israel has the most public companies listed on the tech-heavy NASDAQ exchange.

The Israeli Tech sector is an unprecedented success story, enjoying a period of consistent growth over multiple decades. Israel is first in the world in R&D investment and in venture capital investments as a percentage of GDP.

An average of 600 new startups are established every year in Israel and there are 307 multinational R&D centers there, including ones for Intel, Google, IBM, and Apple (NoCamels).

The World Economic Forum reported that Israel has about 4,000 active startups, and raises venture capital per capita at two-and-a-half times the rate of the US and 30 times that of Europe.”....

https://medium.com/@Amitch5903/top-10-israeli-startups-to-watch-in-2019-d225b7d2716

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simplybill said:

$3.8 Billion a year is a wise investment for the US,........

Indeed. Apart from anything else, the "Military Aide" is a direct taxpayer subsidy to US weapons manufacturers, as Israel HAS to spend that money within the USA :)

If that was cut, there would be MANY redundancies, and some companies might even go out of business. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed. Apart from anything else, the "Military Aide" is a direct taxpayer subsidy to US weapons manufacturers, as Israel HAS to spend that money within the USA :)

If that was cut, there would be MANY redundancies, and some companies might even go out of business. 

It’s an investment with a continual feedback loop. We invest in Israel, and their R&D  in Medical research, technology and agriculture rotates back to us and the entire world. It’s a win-win for everyone.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:13 AM, RoofGardener said:

if you want military aid you’re going to have to fundamentally change your relationship to the people of Gaza,” Sanders said. “In fact, I think it is fair to say that some of that should go right now into humanitarian aid in Gaza.

(Bernie Sanders)

That quote demonstrates how out of touch Mr. Sanders is with the rest of the world. Israel’s manufacturing sector has employed non-Jewish working people for decades, but Mr. Sanders wants to send “humanitarian aid” instead. Here’s one example of happens when misinformed do-gooders back the wrong horse:

“Until 2015 its principal manufacturing facility was located in the Mishor Adumimindustrial park in the West Bank, creating controversy and a boycott campaign. In October 2015, under pressure from BDS activists, SodaStream closed its factory in Ma'ale Adumim, and moved to a new facility in Lehavim, and was therefore forced to lay off more than 500 Palestinian workers. This is now known as the Island of Peace and has both Jewish and Muslim workers, working side by side.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SodaStream

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 12:53 PM, and then said:

Really? Or is he just a selfrespecting human?

May I remind you that American Jews stood up against the serbian athrocities in Bosnia while Israel was feeding them weapons and encouraged the serbs to commit the genocide.

Are you sure you are not an anti- semit?

On 11/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, RoofGardener said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/bernie-sanders-u-s-should-withhold-military-aid-unless-israel-fundamentally-changes-its-relationship-with-people-of-gaza/

The problem with diverting aid to Gaza is avoiding it being hijacked by HAMAS. 

I agree with you. Hamas will take the money.

There must be another way to get Aid to Gaza bypassing Hamas.

• Like 1