Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Art of Compromise

Doug1029

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I think there are places in every state that are rural enough for city folk to be uncomfortable. 

Considering the amount of area the Appalachians encompass, including parts of Canada, I found that a particularly humorous comment.

• Like 1

I think we should do away with automatic weapons in civil use except for licensed users who need them in their work.

I think we need to do away with magazines holding large numbers of rounds.

I think all weapons should be test-fired so their ballistic signatures can be identified and recorded.

I think all explosives should be labeled with plastic microchips identifying the manufacturer and lot so that the source can be quickly determined.

There are other measures that should also be considered - like confiscation and destruction of any weapon owned by someone arrested for a criminal act.

On the subject of that drive-by shooting near my place night before last:  the police came back out and looked over the house and grounds.  They found bullet holes in the eves and shell casings on the road.  They said firing pin marks were the same as some they had obtained in another case, but didn't say which one.  So in the meantime, I should duck.  What police can do is severely limited, even if you have good, competent police.

Doug

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Considering the amount of area the Appalachians encompass, including parts of Canada, I found that a particularly humorous comment.

A few years ago a timber cruiser discovered an airplane in eastern Tennessee that had been missing 34 years.  Lots of places to hide.

Doug

7 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

I think we should do away with automatic weapons in civil use except for licensed users who need them in their work.

I think we need to do away with magazines holding large numbers of rounds.

I think all weapons should be test-fired so their ballistic signatures can be identified and recorded.

I think all explosives should be labeled with plastic microchips identifying the manufacturer and lot so that the source can be quickly determined.

There are other measures that should also be considered - like confiscation and destruction of any weapon owned by someone arrested for a criminal act.

On the subject of that drive-by shooting near my place night before last:  the police came back out and looked over the house and grounds.  They found bullet holes in the eves and shell casings on the road.  They said firing pin marks were the same as some they had obtained in another case, but didn't say which one.  So in the meantime, I should duck.  What police can do is severely limited, even if you have good, competent police.

Doug

Doug, you'd probably find 9 out of 10 cartels or criminals whom would agree with you. Their response would probably be - YES! Do it! Cha-Ching! - the black market loves it when somebody makes restrictive laws to fill their coffers.

Seriously though, even if we did all that, what's to stop some lunatic from pulling a Josey Wales maneuver, where they have 4 of 5 six shooters on them and they pull each one out and just start shooting in sets of six shots after another?

• Like 1

not to mention some of those measures already on books, and others were tried and failed,   how do you find a compromise with someone who mixes his imaginary world with reality?  i personally wont even bother to hear their imaginary solutions. 

5 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

We're a "Sh*thole country," too.

There is a huge difference between thousands and thousands of acres of pristine National Park property and that.

15 hours ago, Michelle said:

There is a huge difference between thousands and thousands of acres of pristine National Park property and that.

Of course there is.  And many of those countries I listed have thousands of acres of pristine wilderness, too.

I cruised timber in eastern Kentucky around Manchester.  I know a little about that area.  My memories include a lot of strip mines in the middle of that "pristine wilderness."  But I also remember a lot of beautiful country.

Doug

15 hours ago, aztek said:

not to mention some of those measures already on books, and others were tried and failed,   how do you find a compromise with someone who mixes his imaginary world with reality?  i personally wont even bother to hear their imaginary solutions. 

One of the first things we need to do is remove the prohibition on CDC studies of gun violence.  Gun violence meets the definition of an epidemic and should fall within their purview.  That way we could get expert input into this discussion.

Doug

3 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

Of course there is.  And many of those countries I listed have thousands of acres of pristine wilderness, too.

I cruised timber in eastern Kentucky around Manchester.  I know a little about that area.  My memories include a lot of strip mines in the middle of that "pristine wilderness."  But I also remember a lot of beautiful country.

Doug

It seems your experience is limited to the southern states. It reminds me of visiting my cousins in Chicago growing up. Their friends would ask us if we have running water and electricity, which I would expect from kids. :lol: Yes, there are some very rural areas, but the Appalachian Mountains go through Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. That is 18 states, not to mention Canada.

Calling almost the entire east coast a sh**hole sounds extremely uneducated. So much so, I was wondering if you were kidding.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It seems your experience is limited to the southern states. It reminds me of visiting my cousins in Chicago growing up. Their friends would ask us if we have running water and electricity, which I would expect from kids. :lol: Yes, there are some very rural areas, but the Appalachian Mountains go through Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. That is 18 states, not to mention Canada.

Calling almost the entire east coast a sh**hole sounds extremely uneducated. So much so, I was wondering if you were kidding.

coming from a guy with 4 degrees no less, lmao

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Most of my experience is in the west - Idaho and Colorado.

Where I grew up (Ohio) my aunt did not have electricity or running water at her place.  Oil lamps, a hand-pump in the kitchen and two huge stone fireplaces.

I was not calling the whole east cost a bad word.  Just selected places, like downtown Baltimore and some coal-mining areas in eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.  The point was that we are no different from the rest of the world.  Some of our people live in poverty comparable to Third World countries.  That is a disgrace in a country as rich as we are.

should probably have included orphan mine spoils in that list, but I didn't.  And you certainly have a broad definition of Appalachia.  Is that Appa-latch-ya or Apple-lay-cha?

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

I don't have a broad definition...it's the definition.

I've never known anyone that didn't have running water or electricity. Some still had outhouses they used occasionally. People raise their own chickens, pigs and cows, while having large gardens. They are fine coming to town once a month picking up other supplies.

It's Appa-lay-shuh.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

I've never known anyone that didn't have running water or electricity. Some still had outhouses they used occasionally. 

It's Appa-lay-shuh.

When I was a kid my grandma did not have running water.  She did have electricity and eventually my uncles hooked up water to the kitchen sink from the cistern.  She lived in Colorado on a ranch.  In 1974 my uncles finally built her a bathroom and got running water so she could have a bath in a bath tub and use a toilet instead of the out house. 

Also we moved into a house that did not have running water.  My dad took half the back porch and turned it into a bathroom and got running water in the kitchen.  Until he got that done we used an outhouse.  We had a butane heater in the living room and no heat or fireplace in the rest of the house.  There was a gas cook stove that was so old that you had to have the match ready when you turned it on because if you turned the gas on first then lit the match it would explode and burn your eyebrows off when you tried to light the pilot.

And, I am not as ancient as you might think.

• Haha 1

My grandfather didn't have running water, but he had a fresh water spring on the property near the house. He was a widower, so he just didn't bother and he passed away before I was born. The house went to ruin, because no one in the family was interested in living way out there.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michelle said:

My grandfather didn't have running water, but he had a fresh water spring on the property near the house. He was a widower, so he just didn't bother and he passed away before I was born. The house went to ruin, because no one in the family was interested in living way out there.

My grandmother filled her cistern from a fresh water spring too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michelle said:

I don't have a broad definition...it's the definition.

I've never known anyone that didn't have running water or electricity. Some still had outhouses they used occasionally. People raise their own chickens, pigs and cows, while having large gardens. They are fine coming to town once a month picking up other supplies.

It's Appa-lay-shuh.

Appa-lay-shuh.  So you're from up north.

We call the southeast part of Ohio the Appalachian Plateau.  Only difference between that and the interior is that the glaciers ground away the mountains.  The underlying bedrock is the same.

In Ward, Colorado there are still outhouses.  Ground is solid rock so there's no place to dig a hole.  People use a large sewer pipe, stand it on end and build an outhouse on top - with a ladder or stairs to get up to it.  Sounds weird, but you'd have to know Ward.  It's a unique place with a unique way of life.  Only place I've ever seen a Town Marshall with a foot-long beard.

Ward used to have the all-time record for a 24-hour snowfall - over six feet.  Then someplace in Virginia took the title away from them.

Anyway, I grew up in a house with a cistern that we filled with water from the roof.  We used gutters to collect it and piped the water into the cistern.

So I guess a lot of us are a little bit Third World.

Doug

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

Appa-lay-shuh.  So you're from up north.

Nope, born and raised in Georgia and taught how to speak correctly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug1029 said:

In Ward, Colorado there are still outhouses.  Ground is solid rock so there's no place to dig a hole.  People use a large sewer pipe, stand it on end and build an outhouse on top - with a ladder or stairs to get up to it.  Sounds weird, but you'd have to know Ward.

I can't even begin to figure out how that might work. Or how many pregnant women, tipsy people or the elderly must have hurt themselves on something like that. :huh: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Doug1029 said:

Most of my experience is in the west - Idaho and Colorado.

Where I grew up (Ohio) my aunt did not have electricity or running water at her place.  Oil lamps, a hand-pump in the kitchen and two huge stone fireplaces.

I was not calling the whole east cost a bad word.  Just selected places, like downtown Baltimore and some coal-mining areas in eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.  The point was that we are no different from the rest of the world.  Some of our people live in poverty comparable to Third World countries.  That is a disgrace in a country as rich as we are.

should probably have included orphan mine spoils in that list, but I didn't.  And you certainly have a broad definition of Appalachia.  Is that Appa-latch-ya or Apple-lay-cha?

Doug

To be fair, you grew up 70 years ago :lol: lol.

I say that with no ill intent. I just imagine it's changed alot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2019 at 1:27 PM, aztek said:

he dumbest thing i've heard in a while,  thanks

Well now, we don't want to restrict gun use, that would be against 2A.

What is that other great conservative talking point that a lot of the rest of us agree on?  Personal Responsibility.  Adults are responsible for the behavior of their children.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/parental-responsibility-laws-personal-injury.html

Many people don't realize that parents can be held legally liable for the acts of their minor children. Though the specifics vary, almost every state has enacted some version of this kind of law, and it usually applies to intentional acts committed by the child. In some states, parents may even be liable for accidents caused by their children.

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

From W. Pa....hate when people say "App-a-latch-a"

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2019 at 4:38 PM, Michelle said:

The App-a-latch-cha pronunciation is from eastern Kentucky where it, matters on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you grew up.  I used to work with a descendant of the Hatfields, so I had to be pretty careful.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:44 PM, skliss said:

From W. Pa....hate when people say "App-a-latch-a"

I really didn't mean to start a war over pronunciation.  Fortunately, on UM, I don't have to.  Say/read it however you want and I'll do the same.

Doug

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2019 at 5:39 PM, spartan max2 said:

To be fair, you grew up 70 years ago :lol: lol.

I say that with no ill intent. I just imagine it's changed alot.

My aunt's old farmhouse finally got electricity, running water, etc.  in the 1970s.  So, yes, it has changed a lot.  I was disappointed when the new owner took out those two huge stone fireplaces.  Those were what that house was really all about.

Doug

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Doug1029 said:

The App-a-latch-cha pronunciation is from eastern Kentucky where it, matters on which side of the Mason-Dixon line you grew up.  I used to work with a descendant of the Hatfields, so I had to be pretty careful.

How odd. A lady friend of ours, who recently passed away, was a descendant of the Hatfields. She lived in Monticello, Kentucky. I don't recall the subject of the Appalachians ever coming up.

10 minutes ago, Michelle said:

How odd. A lady friend of ours, who recently passed away, was a descendant of the Hatfields. She lived in Monticello, Kentucky. I don't recall the subject of the Appalachians ever coming up.

I worked on the Red Bird Inventory in 1977 - in Monticello, Kentucky.  Small world.

I wonder if the guy I knew would have known your friend?

Doug

• Like 1