Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret Aztec tunnel found under Mexico street

Still Waters

It seems amazing that it survived all the earthquakes over that time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Archaeologists have unearthed a secret Aztec tunnel that has been hiding under the bustling streets outside of Mexico City for more than 600 years.

Adorned with carvings and paintings, the passageway that dates back to the 15th century was  built by Emperor Montezuma I and linked to the god of water and fertility – Tlaloc.

The ancient discovery is part of 15 year-long conservation project around la Calzada de San Cristobal, which is home to a massive structure built by indigenous people hundreds of years ago.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7631485/Archaeologists-discover-15th-century-tunnel-Mexico-built-Emperor-Montezuma-I.html

Like another person who posted said it's amazing that it's still intact. No telling what they will find inside once they excavate it.

• Like 2

First round arch I've ever seen in in pre-Columbian architecture in the Americas.  The Corbelled Arch is the only one I've ever heard of. There's more to this "Aztec" tunnel than meets the eye.

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

First round arch I've ever seen in in pre-Columbian architecture in the Americas.  The Corbelled Arch is the only one I've ever heard of. There's more to this "Aztec" tunnel than meets the eye.

That's what I was thinking. Looks more like Spanish architecture, complete with recycled objects from other structures.