Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Constable Alan Godfrey, Todmorden 1980

Jon101

When I was younger, (and I'm not ancient), my family owed a fair bit of land lying athwart the Lancashire/Yorkshire border.  A few Tenants farmed around the Todmorden area, and as my father managed the estates I heard a fair few opinions regarding this case and the others that were alleged to have occurred.

Incidentally, these kinds of farms generated very little rent - they were marginal at best, while large agricultural practices took large subsidies the fells and moors had begun to die off as headland, killed by cheap New Zealand lamb.

My family had held the rights to this Land for a long time, but this was in condition of payment. If we didn't pay they reverted, (I think back to the Lancaster, Derbyshire and Gloucester families), which they eventually did in the nineties.

My history aside, (I was only eighteen in 1990), here are two links to the basic story PC Alan Godfrey gave: http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/mmg222.html

https://www.ufocasebook.com/godfreyabduction.html

There's another link on that page regarding a separate story - 'The Adamski incident', which apart from the pleasing serendipity of the deceaseds name, is more likely a tale of botched forensics and misinformation. It's interesting nonetheless.

Local opinion wasn't kind, and a few of the details of the story don't really add up, but I'd be really interested to hear peoples opinions and I'm quite willing to say more regarding the opinions of local farmers I heard via my Father - I've got to stress that those are pure hearsay though.

One detail I've always found odd is Godfrey relating that 'his Police issue footwear was split on the sole, as if he had been dragged along the floor' - the idea that a sturdy piece of footwear would fail in these circumstances is quite boggling.

Ultimately, I think that Mr. Godfrey was quite a fragile person, but perhaps he did see something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon101 said:

I've got to stress that those are pure hearsay though.

yep, no facts as usual

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jon101 said:

One detail I've always found odd is Godfrey relating that 'his Police issue footwear was split on the sole, as if he had been dragged along the floor' - the idea that a sturdy piece of footwear would fail in these circumstances is quite boggling

Really?!

Ive had several good quality shoes have the sole detach,  didnt boggle my mind.

9 hours ago, Jon101 said:

When I was younger, (and I'm not ancient), my family owed a fair bit of land lying athwart the Lancashire/Yorkshire border.  A few Tenants farmed around the Todmorden area, and as my father managed the estates I heard a fair few opinions regarding this case and the others that were alleged to have occurred.

Incidentally, these kinds of farms generated very little rent - they were marginal at best, while large agricultural practices took large subsidies the fells and moors had begun to die off as headland, killed by cheap New Zealand lamb.

My family had held the rights to this Land for a long time, but this was in condition of payment. If we didn't pay they reverted, (I think back to the Lancaster, Derbyshire and Gloucester families), which they eventually did in the nineties.

My history aside, (I was only eighteen in 1990), here are two links to the basic story PC Alan Godfrey gave: http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/mmg222.html

https://www.ufocasebook.com/godfreyabduction.html

There's another link on that page regarding a separate story - 'The Adamski incident', which apart from the pleasing serendipity of the deceaseds name, is more likely a tale of botched forensics and misinformation. It's interesting nonetheless.

Local opinion wasn't kind, and a few of the details of the story don't really add up, but I'd be really interested to hear peoples opinions and I'm quite willing to say more regarding the opinions of local farmers I heard via my Father - I've got to stress that those are pure hearsay though.

One detail I've always found odd is Godfrey relating that 'his Police issue footwear was split on the sole, as if he had been dragged along the floor' - the idea that a sturdy piece of footwear would fail in these circumstances is quite boggling.

Ultimately, I think that Mr. Godfrey was quite a fragile person, but perhaps he did see something.

I recently did a feature on this pulling together chief witnesses

• Haha 1

In reply to the above - yes, no facts at all,including Mr. Godfrey testimony.

'

Re: The shoes, I too have had a sole detach, once at a party in Gstaad the evening after buying a lovely pair of loafers.

I honestly don't think we are talking about flimsy stuff though.

I'm told, by a former police officer that the standard issue footwear was 'Dr Martens 'airwear' - a more unlikely casualty of dragging, I can't imagine.

My wife has a pair of forty year old DMs with an airwear sole.

I could murder her and drag her an eighth of a mile to the churchyard, I guess

Over her dead body apparently.

I doubt the shoes would take significant damage.

Edited by Jon101
It was in Chamonix

2 hours ago, Jon101 said:

In reply to the above - yes, no facts at all,including Mr. Godfrey testimony.

'

Re: The shoes, I too have had a sole detach, once at a party in Gstaad the evening after buying a lovely pair of loafers.

I honestly don't think we are talking about flimsy stuff though.

I'm told, by a former police officer that the standard issue footwear was 'Dr Martens 'airwear' - a more unlikely casualty of dragging, I can't imagine.

My wife has a pair of forty year old DMs with an airwear sole.

I could murder her and drag her an eighth of a mile to the churchyard, I guess

Over her dead body apparently.

I doubt the shoes would take significant damage.

Boots and braces?

No, the shoes i had de-sole were not flimsy, I won't press it but if you know docs think what it would take to drag a person wearing them until they de-sole, I would bet a Coke that they would grind down where they are dragging before de-soling, my point is his account his shoes fell apart but he wasnt hurt from it is total b******s as far as im concerned. ( or jis shoes were flimsy, either way a moot point.

I looked at the Adamski link and it is the funniest non sequitur I've seen in a while.

There is lots of chatter about prosaic inconclusive testing of the body followed by this:

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/mma120.html

The incident was linked to UFOs and orange fireballs which had been seen in the area during the week that Adamski disappeared

Nothing before that concluding line mentions anything about UFOs and then claims it is linked.

Typical nonsensical UFO claptrap. At least EVD tries to make some sort of paltry effort to connect things, but not that loony site.