Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Haunted Childhood

SharD

My family spent a good portion of my life being tormented by spirits. I have a lot of unanswered questions and suppressed terror. When I was 10 yrs old, my mother and I bought 5 acres of wooded land and built a house in Andover, MN. We lived off the end of a densely populated road but we were so tucked in, it was a good 3-5 min walk to the nearest neighbor’s house. The first year in the house was busy and loud. My mother was freshly divorced and my teenage uncle lived near bye and they would often throw parties at our house. There was always someone coming or going at all hours. We didn’t notice anything strange until I was about age 12. It started out small and subtle. Little things like the chandelier constantly swaying, things being moved around the house. Then it got a bit louder. My mom would hear voices at nite and yell at me for leaving the tv on until one nite she got up to find me sleeping and the tv off. After a few weeks she went to see someone cuz she thought she was going crazy. She then started ignoring them, and for whatever reason, would just yell, “Shar’s not home.” At this point all our friends and family had experienced something at the house and stopped coming over. My mom, now desperate, called our pastor to come and bless the house. I remember feeling happy and relieved that it would all be over. It wasn’t. We started hearing loud crashes but never found anything broken until one day a crash came from the kitchen. We found the cookie jar was picked up off the fridge, dropped on the counter, and smashed on the floor. There was a bare spot on top of the fridge with nothing around it moved (so we knew it wasn’t pushed) and it was dropped so hard, it took a chip out of the counter top. That was when I got scared. I now knew they were capable of physically touch. Things just got worse from there. My cousin and I spent nearly all our time together back then and she was with me for most of the encounters. There was one experience in particular that has remained a mystery to both of us to this day. We were having a sleepover and went to bed around 2am in the basement. We turned the lights off and were laying there visiting in the pitch black when all of a sudden the entire basement lit up so bright we were completely blinded. It was as if my house was surrounded by cars and they turned their high beams on all at once. We couldn’t see anything. We flew up the stairs and the light was immediately gone. We woke my mom up but she just blew us off. A few weeks later my cousin and I were having another sleepover and around 2am, just before we went to bed, there was a knock at the door. This would be the first time in my life that for some reason, I didn’t just open the door. Like I said, people would come and go at all hours, it could’ve been anyone and normally, I just opened the door. This time I didn’t. This time when I heard the knock, I felt sick. My stomach dropped and I was terrified. So instead, I asked who it was through the door. A teenage boy came to the porch window. He was average looking. Pale, sandy blond hair, gray hoodie, and jeans. I couldn’t see his face cuz it was completely dark out and we were talking through a screen in my kitchen window. He said he was on his way to his girlfriend’s house and he got lost. He needed to come in and use our phone. Something in me said DO NOT LET HIM IN. I told him no and that he passed multiple houses on the road to get all the way to the end of the street to my house, he could ask one of them. He said they were all sleeping and I said WE’RE SLEEPING. He then proceeded to badger me into letting him come in to use the phone. After arguing with him, he then asked if he could come in for a glass of water. At this point I realized he just wanted in my house and I got scared. I went upstairs and woke up my mom who then called the police. When the police arrived they checked the area and said there were no marks of any kind in our dirt driveway. No tires, no feet, nothing. He just disappeared. Shortly after that my mom met a man in Wisconsin and I wouldn’t see her for weeks on end. She left me alone, fully knowing our house was haunted, for weeks at a time at 12 yrs of age. Do u have any idea what it feels like to be alone, as a child, and not feel safe in ur own home? One nite I was laying in bed, I opened my eyes, and a teenage girl was sitting cross legged on the floor next to my bed. She was very pale, had long straight brown hair and an upside down triangle on her forehead. She just sat  there staring at me. I was so scared I was frozen. I just remember thinking I’m trapped. She was sitting between me and the door and I was afraid if I tried to go around her, she would grab me. I blacked out after that. I must’ve just closed my eyes cuz i don’t remember anything after seeing her. After that I would lay awake every nite until the sun came up cuz I was too scared to close my eyes. So every morning, I was getting about 2-3 hrs of sleep for school. I was living alone with ghosts and fending for myself for my 7th and 8th grade yrs of school. Once I entered high school, we sold the house and moved in with the man she met in Wisconsin. I was always curious if any of it really happened or if we were truly just crazy so when I was 28 I got the white pages and I called the house. A woman answered the phone and I was super nervous she was gonna think I was a crazy person. I said, “Hi, u don’t know me but my mom built the house ur living in and I was just wondering...does it seem haunted to u?” She said, “Shar?” And I freaked the f*@k out. She proceeded to say YES IT IS and invited me over. There was no amount of curiosity that was gonna get me back in that house, but my daughter’s convinced me and came with for support and I found myself going back to the most traumatic place of my life. It took everything I had to push past my PTSD to enter the house. I first came into the kitchen where I saw the chipped countertop just as it was 15 years ago. We walked past the closet where the woman said something had once locked her in it. She took me up to her bedroom (which was my mom’s room) where she said she‘s frequently woken up by screams or her blankets being pulled off her. Down the hall was her son’s room (my room) where she said he has nite terrors, sometimes about a girl with a triangle on her forehead. The woman then told me an old man wanders the yard day and nite and periodically a boy will come to the house looking for me. She’s been living there for 15 yrs and the boy keeps coming back, asking for Shar, completely un-aged. I was scared and overwhelmed at this point and needed to leave. I was scared for a while after that. I was constantly worried something followed me home.

the questions I have are:

1. What was the blinding light?

2. What does the upside down triangle mean?

3. How did the house become haunted?

4. Could the spirits be looking for me cuz they can’t cross bodies of water and I moved across the Mississippi River?

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by SharD

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SharD

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days