Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Think of a Viking warrior and you probably imagine a fearsome, muscular, bearded man. Well, think again. Using cutting-edge facial recognition technology, British scientists have brought to life the battle-hardened face of a fighter who lived more than 1,000 years ago. And she’s a woman.

The life-like reconstruction, which challenges long-held assumptions that Viking warrior heroes such as Erik the Red left their women at home, is based on a skeleton found in a Viking graveyard in Solør, Norway, and now preserved in Oslo’s Museum of Cultural History. The remains had already been identified as female, but her burial site had not been considered a warrior grave “simply because the occupant was a woman”, according to archaelogist Ella Al-Shamahi.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/02/viking-woman-warrior-face-reconstruction-national-geographic-documentary

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

MissJatti

Actually I dont want to meet Erica, if she is in a foul mood

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

acute

She would look better with a beard.

• Haha 1

quiXilver

I've traced my Father's family lines back to the mid 1400's on His Father's line hail mainly from Trondelag and the far Northern Sami people's and His Mother's side from Sor-Trondelag and Hedmark regions.

With that gravesite she might be a distant grandmother...

Women could own property, lead raids, hold positions of authority.  They were granted divorce and could raise issues and seek justice at the All-Thing.  In a region this inhospitable, I sense there wasn't the option of downplaying and debasing women.  It took all hands to survive then and women were the only ones capable of doing farmwork, while building another viking in their womb while they did it.

I've long contended the reason the men could all leave for the summer's raids and not worry too much, was because, they'd left behind, the most fearless of their warriors to guard the farms and children. 

Can you imagine rolling up on a viking village to see all the Valkyrie Women staring at you with bearded axes and spears?

Yea... come on shore... we dare you.

• Like 3