Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Media's Assault on Cops?

BrooklynGuy

A couple of well written opposing views on a complicated issue with no easy answers imo. 

How The Perceived 'War On Cops' Plays Into Politics And Policing

The darkest moment for American police this year was July 7 in downtown Dallas, when police officers providing security for a peaceful protest march suddenly found themselves under attack. And those weren't the only cops targeted this year. Deadly ambushes followed in Baton Rouge, Des Moines and Palm Springs. As a result, many police will remember 2016 as a grim chapter in what many call the "war on cops." These ambush-killings of officers created a sense that they were under siege, threatening to poison the post-Ferguson debate over police reform.

Read more: https://www.npr.org/2016/12/29/507249260/how-the-perceived-war-on-cops-plays-into-politics-and-policing

FBI confirms the deadly costs of a ‘War on Cops’

A new FBI report finds that the “War on Cops” is real and has deadly consequences. Undertaken last year after a spate of cop-killings around the nation, the study confirms that areas across the nation have seen “de-policing” in the wake of protests that political leaders seemed to support. “Law enforcement not only felt that their national political leaders [publicly] stood against them, but also that the politicians’ words and actions signified that disrespect to law enforcement was acceptable in the aftermath of the [Michael] Brown shooting,” the study notes. “The Assailant Study — Mindsets and Behaviors” examines the men behind 50 cop-killings last year. Most of the perps were simply looking to avoid arrest, but a full 28 percent actively hated police and desired to “kill law enforcement.”

Read more: https://nypost.com/2017/05/07/fbi-confirms-the-deadly-costs-of-a-war-on-cops/

• Thanks 2

Really highlights how media can potential move people and cost lives, doesn't it?  Stuff like this will fuel both censorship and laws to preserve accuracy of the various forms of media. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Really highlights how media can potential move people and cost lives, doesn't it?  Stuff like this will fuel both censorship and laws to preserve accuracy of the various forms of media. 

Agreed and I hope you are right that something is done to reign in the media with as little impact on free speech as possible. It truly is a complicated issue with no easy answers.

• Like 3

Didn't the POTUS undermined the Chicago finest recently? 

~

• Like 7

A Law Enforcement protest this weekend in Brooklyn has turned ugly.

NYC "Free Transit" Protesters Jump Turnstiles, Hit The Street: "No Cops, No KKK, No Fascist USA!"

Read more: https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/11/02/nyc_free_transit_protesters_jump_turnstiles_hit_the_street_no_cops_no_kkk_no_fascist_usa.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Agreed and I hope you are right that something is done to reign in the media with as little impact on free speech as possible. It truly is a complicated issue with no easy answers.

It is a very complicated issue that folks on both sides of it need to appreciate for its varied nuances.

Im really hoping we dont see a return to the policing issue being used as a divisive tool like we did during and in the run up to the 2016 election.

• Like 3

On a related note - British soap dramas often portray the police force negatively and give them a cartoonish stereotype that they are corrupt, hostile, untrustworthy, and basically the last choice for help and assistance.  This has left such an impression on the public that when criminal acts take place there is an immediate reluctance to contact the police.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

On a related note - British soap dramas often portray the police force negatively and give them a cartoonish stereotype that they are corrupt, hostile, untrustworthy, and basically the last choice for help and assistance.  This has left such an impression on the public that when criminal acts take place there is an immediate reluctance to contact the police.

Interesting. I think I would argue its mostly the opposite over here. There are of course plots with bad police but I think by and large the police are presented as friendly heroes in US Television today.

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

Didn't the POTUS undermined the Chicago finest recently? 

~

He called out a political hack who was trying to save his job after being found slumped unconscious over the wheel of his vehicle...but, nice try...

All he did was to point out the abysmal failure the policing had been under that chief's tenure in Chicago.  Or maybe you think it's acceptable to have nearly 600 citizens murdered within the city limits in a year?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

I've been saying this for months...they have become a 5th column.  They are actively working from within to weaken this nation.  I just hope that if their efforts lead to generalized violence, they find out that 1A isn't bullet proof.  No one deserves it more than those who caused it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, and then said:

No one deserves it more than those who caused it.

Like this guy?

694940094001_6099625854001_6099621531001

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Like this guy?

694940094001_6099625854001_6099621531001

Nice try.  Hannity is a clown show but yeah, even him if it leads to violence.  What about people like Maddow, Lemon, Acosta, Williams... but, of course, you see nothing wrong with what they do.  I hope a day comes when those scum can't leave a studio without armed security.  They deserve it if their actions create violence in America.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, and then said:

He called out a political hack who was trying to save his job after being found slumped unconscious over the wheel of his vehicle...but, nice try...

All he did was to point out the abysmal failure the policing had been under that chief's tenure in Chicago.  Or maybe you think it's acceptable to have nearly 600 citizens murdered within the city limits in a year?

Didn't get the memo or it's wrong but not illegal to lie? 

2 days ago · The Chicago Police Department is reporting new progress in reducing serious crime as the president attacks the city’s top cop once again. ... Shootings were also down 10 percent, and for the month of October, the department saw the lowest number of burglaries, car thefts and robberies ...

~

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, and then said:

found slumped unconscious over the wheel of his vehicle

nearly 600 citizens murdered within the city limits in a year?

I think the Chief of Chicago's Police Department admitted he was driving drunk and passed out at the wheel and there is an internal investigation underway though I don't expect much to come from it. It's really a shame the amount of violence that takes place in Chicago everyday, I didn't know that many people were being killed every year. I recently read that the city of Chicago is unrivaled in the amount of corruption in their government and associated agency's. 

• Like 5

Just now, and then said:

Nice try.  Hannity is a clown show but yeah, even him if it leads to violence.  What about people like Maddow, Lemon, Acosta, Williams... but, of course, you see nothing wrong with what they do.  I hope a day comes when those scum can't leave a studio without armed security.  They deserve it if their actions create violence in America.

I was just trashing MSNBC on here the other day actually. I recently regained the ability to watch them and foxnews and man theyre both absurdly biased.  They've become activists while Fox has become state TV. Never thought I would be saying this but I would argue that currently CNN is the most balanced of the major networks , inviting Kellyanne to spew her garbage this AM being a good example, that is a fluid thing for sure however.

I do have to say that your inclusion of Acosta in here is insane IMO .

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

I think the Chief of Chicago's Police Department admitted he was driving drunk and passed out at the wheel and there is an internal investigation underway though I don't expect much to come from it. It's really a shame the amount of violence that takes place in Chicago everyday, I didn't know that many people were being killed every year. I recently read that the city of Chicago is unrivaled in the amount of corruption in their government and associated agency's. 

Yes... that was my point.  The extra-eyed among us just has a need to be contrarian even when it makes him look MORE the fool.  Whatevs...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Thanks for the link third_eye, I can only imagine how difficult it is to be a Police Superintendent or Police Officer in our country today.  As you pointed out the President and a select few in the media are making an already extremely difficult and dangerous job just that much more difficult for the brave men and woman who protect us everyday.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I was just trashing MSNBC on here the other day actually. I recently regained the ability to watch them and foxnews and man theyre both absurdly biased.  They've become activists while Fox has become state TV. Never thought I would be saying this but I would argue that currently CNN is the most balanced of the major networks , inviting Kellyanne to spew her garbage this AM being a good example, that is a fluid thing for sure however.

I do have to say that your inclusion of Acosta in here is insane IMO .

That's good to hear and I agree that all 3 are mainly just 24 hour commercials for their professed ideology. I did notice an increase in all 3 being more fair and balanced over the last couple of months but it probably has more to do with their FCC mandate to give all candidates for elected office equal time than a change in ideology or a move toward respectability. 

• Like 1

Just now, BrooklynGuy said:

That's good to hear and I agree that all 3 are mainly just 24 hour commercials for their professed ideology. I did notice an increase in all 3 being more fair and balanced over the last couple of months but it probably has more to do with their FCC mandate to give all candidates for elected office equal time than a change in ideology or a move toward respectability. 

IDK CNN is constantly going over the list of republicans they invited on but refused. In fact they just hired former Republican Rep Sean Duffy......and immediately had to apologize for him lying on air :lol:

CNN defends new contributor Sean Duffy while anchors decry his ‘anti-immigrant bigotry’

“It is hard to find people who will come on and support the president’s point of view,” CNN chief Jeff Zucker said at the network’s “Citizen” conference last Thursday. “We need these voices.”

While few Republican Senators have been willing to appear on television to defend Trump pressuring Ukraine’s president to investigate the Bidens, Duffy has become a go-to supporter and lightning rod for controversy.

On Tuesday’s “New Day,” Duffy suggested Lt. Colonel Alexander Vindman, a National Security Council official and decorated U.S. military veteran who testified that he believed Trump had undermined national security on the infamous Ukraine call, might be loyal to the Ukraine, a country he left with his family at age three.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

Thanks for the link third_eye, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be a Police Superintendent or Police Officer in our country today and the piling on by a select few in the media is probably not helping an already difficult situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More on the escalating protest in Brooklyn 

‘Dangerous rhetoric’ and ‘anarchy’: Officials react to anti-police messages at Brooklyn protest

Two elected officials expressed concern Saturday morning in response to anti-police slogans -- some encouraging violent challenges to cops -- that were among the messages carried by hundreds of protestors who marched in Brooklyn on Friday.“Anti-police rhetoric and pro-crime policies have created anarchy in our city,” Assemblywoman Nicole Mallliotakis (R-East Shore/Brooklyn) tweeted. “Politicians pandering to the left are jeopardizing public safety and need to fix it. Wake up @NYCMayor. Don’t make me bring you another case of Red Bull.” Congressman Max Rose (D-Staten Island/Brooklyn) called on the community to oppose the anti-police messages. “Right now across then [sic] city, officers are leaving home and their families are praying they come home safe,” Rose wrote in his tweet. “This kind of rhetoric is offensive and it is dangerous—and there should be no one in New York who is silent in the face of this ugliness.”

Read more: https://www.silive.com/news/2019/11/dangerous-rhetoric-and-anarchy-officials-react-to-brooklyn-police-protest.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

As you pointed out the President and a select few in the media 

Hold on there, hoss.  Care to stipulate exactly how the president is making the cop's lives or jobs more difficult?  The media is, for sure, but how is Trump causing "the cops" or law enforcement in general, a harder road?  In the instance noted, the MSM dumped on Trump because he had the nerve to question a superintendent of police in Chicago for an abysmal record.  That top cop"s record IS abysmal.  What other evidence do you have that Trump is causing the lives of cops to be more difficult?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

All of these things cause the degradation of respect for the rule of law.  Without law there is anarchy and the same who try to tear down the police will be screaming when they find themselves in a world without rule of law.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

Didn't get the memo or it's wrong but not illegal to lie? 

~

According to preliminary police numbers, in Chicago, the third largest city in the U.S., there were 561 homicides between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2018. That’s a decline of about 100 murders compared to 2017.

https://heyjackass.com/

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2018/12/30/18314619/chicago-s-2018-murder-total-falls-for-second-straight-year-but-still-tops-530

Trump called the fraud out for doing a lousy job.  The fact that the rate is improving may or may not have squat to do with his efforts but even if he is personally responsible, I'd say Trump was accurate to call him out for his city being the worst in America.  Democrat government for decades with the strictest gun laws in the nation.  How's THAT for a failed social experiment?

34 minutes ago, and then said:

How's THAT for a failed social experiment?

You mean like "it's against the constitution and illegal but it's not wrong because Trump says the constitution is phony?"

Or "I can shoot some one on the street right now and still get elected " is illegal but not wrong? 

What would Jesus say if Jesus was on Fox News? 

~