Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal detectorist finds Iron Age horse coin

Still Waters

A first-time treasure hunter was stunned to hit the discovery of a life-time with his metal detector within the first few hours of using it - an Iron Age coin baring a intricately stamped horse.

Ron Silvester, 69, from Buckinghamshire unearthed 2,000-year-old coin just three hours into his first ever attempt at metal detecting after agreeing to go along with a friend.  

It has been identified as a 'Tasciovnos Ver' coin dating back to the Iron Age -  thought be worth around £380.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7634659/Metal-detectorist-finds-Iron-Age-coin-depicting-noble-horse-worth-380-hours-search.html

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Metal detectorist finds Iron Age horse coin

I love the stupidity of reporters, it doesn't mater how many people are detecting you have to be the one walking over it with your detector.

• Like 1

I had to tell some prat this morning to get off my field with his metal detector, the brain dead moron thinks he could just go on anyones land. He even tried to justify his stupidity and ignorance until he saw my dogs.  

• Like 4

What are the rules regarding a citizen's rights if they find treasure on their own land?  Are they compensated in any way or must it be turned over to government because of antiquity laws or summat?

10 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I had to tell some prat this morning to get off my field with his metal detector, the brain dead moron thinks he could just go on anyones land. He even tried to justify his stupidity and ignorance until he saw my dogs.  

You should have phoned the police.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, and then said:

What are the rules regarding a citizen's rights if they find treasure on their own land?  Are they compensated in any way or must it be turned over to government because of antiquity laws or summat?

If they're lucky enough for it to be classed as treasure trove and the museum wants to add it to their collection and has the money to purchase it they get full market value.

Hmmm... it might also depend on who's land the object was found on ? 

8 hours ago, and then said:

It depends on where you live. In Sweden you have to report your find and it automatically belongs to the government this is done to prevent it from leaving the country,  you will be compensated for your find. 

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm... it might also depend on who's land the object was found on ? 

He said if it's found on your own land as he asked it's as i said, if it's found on land you have permission to detect on the general consensus is it's shared 50/50 unless you have a contract stating otherwise, there are some grey areas as some people pay to detect, many argue this entitles you keep anything that's found, if you detect on land you don't have permission on and find treasure trove and declare it the landowner gets the money, as they declared it, they might get off with a warning.

Edited by hetrodoxly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 'Walt' E. Kurtz said:

It depends on where you live. In Sweden you have to report your find and it automatically belongs to the government this is done to prevent it from leaving the country,  you will be compensated for your find. 

The law is very tight in Sweden making it very difficult to detect you also have to buy a licence and get permission not just off the land owner but off the government as well, a lot of Swedish come over here detecting as do coach loads of Americans.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

The law is very tight in Sweden making it very difficult to detect you also have to buy a licence and get permission not just off the land owner but off the government as well, a lot of Swedish come over here detecting as do coach loads of Americans.

Intriguing. It must be somewhat hard getting a metal detector through the airport metal detectors ? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Intriguing. It must be somewhat hard getting a metal detector through the airport metal detectors ? 

You can book a metal detecting holiday, which includes accommodation and food, you're picked up in a mini bus everyday by a guide and taken to fields to detect.

42 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I think he's the grandfather of Caratacus, the first freedom fighter.

I think your right.

Caratacus (Caradog) was also the legendary ancestor of the Powell and Llewellyn families and one of Arthur's knights in later legends. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think your right.

Caratacus (Caradog) was also the legendary ancestor of the Powell and Llewellyn families and one of Arthur's knights in later legends. 

That's interesting, i've heard Caratacus himself being the leader Arthur was based on.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

That's interesting, i've heard Caratacus himself being the leader Arthur was based on.

One of them. Arthur was based on about 4 or 5 different people from what I understand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hetrodoxly said:

You can book a metal detecting holiday, which includes accommodation and food, you're picked up in a mini bus everyday by a guide and taken to fields to detect.

Taken to the fields and shot ;-) 

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2019 at 4:46 AM, hetrodoxly said:

Good Lord. What you British will do for “entertainment.”

—Jaylemurph 

3 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

Good Lord. What you British will do for “entertainment.”

—Jaylemurph 

It's  American's taking these holidays, they come over in large groups and many are repeate offenders.