Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Iilaa'mpuul'xem

Nightmares from the Sea

26 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Iilaa'mpuul'xem

From the safety of land, it’s easy to romanticize the ocean. Its shades of blues and greens evoke paradise, while its surface rises and falls hypnotically. But these mesmerizing qualities belie the ocean’s perilous nature.

Read More

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

From the safety of land, it’s easy to romanticize the ocean. Its shades of blues and greens evoke paradise, while its surface rises and falls hypnotically. But these mesmerizing qualities belie the ocean’s perilous nature.

Read More

"The stormwatch brews a concert of kings as the white sea snaps at the heels of a soft prayer...whispered..."

From Jethro Tull's, DUN RINGILL

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen

I do enjoy tales from the deep!! 

I find it rather curious if there is any "monsters" undiscovered in the vast oceans. And yes I'm well aware the kraken is based on the giant squid.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I do enjoy tales from the deep!! 

I find it rather curious if there is any "monsters" undiscovered in the vast oceans. And yes I'm well aware the kraken is based on the giant squid.

.

Quote

“Hidden beneath the waves, there are creatures beyond our imagination.” Yet while the programme reveals the wonders of many of these species, an incredible number more have never been encountered by humans at all.

Numerous new marine species are discovered every year 

http://theconversation.com/how-many-undiscovered-creatures-are-there-in-the-ocean-86705

Not sure about monsters. Most discovered are not monster size. They are quite strange creatures,  but as yet when it comes to monsters,  I believe man falls into that category when we see the devastation he has caused. 

What has been discovered so far deep.beneath the ocean are pretty incredible looking creatures. 

As it is from the article in the op, the dangers do not mainly come from the sealife in the oceans,  but mainly the treacherous weathers of nature.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen
5 hours ago, freetoroam said:

.

Not sure about monsters. Most discovered are not monster size. They are quite strange creatures,  but as yet when it comes to monsters,  I believe man falls into that category when we see the devastation he has caused. 

What has been discovered so far deep.beneath the ocean are pretty incredible looking creatures. 

As it is from the article in the op, the dangers do not mainly come from the sealife in the oceans,  but mainly the treacherous weathers of nature.

To be fair I did put quotation marks around monsters. :tsu:

But anyway I find it fascinating nevertheless. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rascha

The ocean terrifies me. Just like the you can't know everything that roams the universe because of the vastness, I believe that of the ocean. Plus there are so many things with so many teeth and legs that we are aware of *shivers*

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scholar4Truth

The Ocean is so vast and the further down you go the darker it becomes. There is no telling what kinds of creatures are down there that are yet to be discovered. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robotic Jew
8 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The Ocean is so vast and the further down you go the darker it becomes. There is no telling what kinds of creatures are down there that are yet to be discovered. 

I assume it's mostly hats and sunglasses.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming....."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katzenking
3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming....."

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hammerclaw
2 hours ago, Katzenking said:

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die”

"Never is it to be thought that Man is either oldest or last of the masters of the Earth, nor that the greater part of life and substance walks alone. The Old Ones were, The Old Ones are, The Old Ones shall be. Not in spaces known to us, but between them, they walk calm and primal, of  no dimension and to us unseen."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tia

Any deep water scares me, sharks are my biggest fear. I am probably one of the very few that have no desire to ever holiday on a cruise ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robotic Jew
On 11/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tia said:

Any deep water scares me, sharks are my biggest fear. I am probably one of the very few that have no desire to ever holiday on a cruise ship.

My dream is to live alone on a ship in the middle of the ocean. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen
5 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

My dream is to live alone on a ship in the middle of the ocean. 

Makes my dream look out of reach. I dream of world peace and all world governments combing technologies so we can properly **** off into space.

Ugh I watch too much Star Trek.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Robotic Jew
2 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Makes my dream look out of reach. I dream of world peace and all world governments combing technologies so we can properly **** off into space.

Ugh I watch too much Star Trek.

Yeah. Yours is incomprehensible. We will only have world peace once we have all destroyed each other.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThereWeAreThen
6 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Yeah. Yours is incomprehensible. We will only have world peace once we have all destroyed each other.

Deep but true.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ultimatium

We still dont know much about the ocean, as the vast majority of it is yet to be discovered, so theres room for a few mysteries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

Something appearing out of the dark mysterious to set a heart pounding.   Diving in 20 feet of murky water with a friend off the Oregon Coast pulling up the biggest clams ever out of the sandy bottom.  A huge shape appeared out of the gloom.  I stopped breathing, stayed on the bottom thinking a break for the surface would be a bad idea.  A diving knife is only a lethal weapon in the movies. The VW-sized Great White  resolved into a curious harbor seal.  Amazing transformation. May not have had my limit on clams, but I figured I had plenty.  

I came away believing that the truest sea monster encounters  seldom leave anyone to tell the tale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa
On 11/12/2019 at 7:39 AM, ThereWeAreThen said:

Deep but true.

Maybe not.  Maybe not a path without pitfalls and setbacks either, but a worthy destiny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflygirl1

I hope nobody will mind if I resurrect this topic?

From a zoological point of view the ocean is less explored than any other environment by leaps and bounds. A colleague of mine is now working on marine invertebrates in Australia and told me that every sample they analyse has a new species. In the last twenty five years especially, we have learnt a great deal more about the creatures we already "knew" existed, such as the true sizes that squid (giant and colossal) can attain.

Abyssal gigantism has been proven time and time again. I think it is highly likely we will find more surprises soon enough. As for the tall tales of fisherman, they may be so but every tale has a truth somewhere. I wonder if early sailors in small rowboats encountered very large squid which may have got agitated and latched onto their boats. This could account for the later exaggerated claims of 100ft squid taking down large ships...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox
28 minutes ago, butterflygirl1 said:

I hope nobody will mind if I resurrect this topic?

From a zoological point of view the ocean is less explored than any other environment by leaps and bounds. A colleague of mine is now working on marine invertebrates in Australia and told me that every sample they analyse has a new species. In the last twenty five years especially, we have learnt a great deal more about the creatures we already "knew" existed, such as the true sizes that squid (giant and colossal) can attain.

Abyssal gigantism has been proven time and time again. I think it is highly likely we will find more surprises soon enough. As for the tall tales of fisherman, they may be so but every tale has a truth somewhere. I wonder if early sailors in small rowboats encountered very large squid which may have got agitated and latched onto their boats. This could account for the later exaggerated claims of 100ft squid taking down large ships...

Giant and colossal squids aren't the only intriguing cephalopods hiding out in the depths. Take for example the mysterious long-armed squid, which has only ever been captured on video a few times. It might be the adult form of the bigfin squid Magnapinna, which is only known from larval specimens, but even this isn't known for certain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

 

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
butterflygirl1
1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

Giant and colossal squids aren't the only intriguing cephalopods hiding out in the depths. Take for example the mysterious long-armed squid, which has only ever been captured on video a few times. It might be the adult form of the bigfin squid Magnapinna, which is only known from larval specimens, but even this isn't known for certain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

 

Thanks, I had heard briefly of these creatures but had no idea the only known type specimens were larvae!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sir Wearer of Hats
On 11/7/2019 at 4:28 AM, Robotic Jew said:

I assume it's mostly hats and sunglasses.

You called?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AbrahamVanHelsing

I am most definitely a Thalassophile (which is a slightly dodgy, fancy term for being a lover of the sea). I have been drawn to the sea for as long as I can remember. Fishing, going out in boats, jumping into the sea, swimming in the sea. I live right by the sea in small coastal village in Scotland and watching the sea on stormy day is a real treat.  It is most definitely my happy place. Monsters or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spud the mackem
10 hours ago, AbrahamVanHelsing said:

I am most definitely a Thalassophile (which is a slightly dodgy, fancy term for being a lover of the sea). I have been drawn to the sea for as long as I can remember. Fishing, going out in boats, jumping into the sea, swimming in the sea. I live right by the sea in small coastal village in Scotland and watching the sea on stormy day is a real treat.  It is most definitely my happy place. Monsters or not.

Treat the Sea with respect and be cautious as it can turn nasty very quickly , regards .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.