Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nightmares from the Sea

Commander CMG

From the safety of land, it’s easy to romanticize the ocean. Its shades of blues and greens evoke paradise, while its surface rises and falls hypnotically. But these mesmerizing qualities belie the ocean’s perilous nature.

Read More

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

From the safety of land, it’s easy to romanticize the ocean. Its shades of blues and greens evoke paradise, while its surface rises and falls hypnotically. But these mesmerizing qualities belie the ocean’s perilous nature.

Read More

"The stormwatch brews a concert of kings as the white sea snaps at the heels of a soft prayer...whispered..."

From Jethro Tull's, DUN RINGILL

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I do enjoy tales from the deep!! 

I find it rather curious if there is any "monsters" undiscovered in the vast oceans. And yes I'm well aware the kraken is based on the giant squid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

I do enjoy tales from the deep!! 

I find it rather curious if there is any "monsters" undiscovered in the vast oceans. And yes I'm well aware the kraken is based on the giant squid.

“Hidden beneath the waves, there are creatures beyond our imagination.” Yet while the programme reveals the wonders of many of these species, an incredible number more have never been encountered by humans at all.

Numerous new marine species are discovered every year 

http://theconversation.com/how-many-undiscovered-creatures-are-there-in-the-ocean-86705

Not sure about monsters. Most discovered are not monster size. They are quite strange creatures,  but as yet when it comes to monsters,  I believe man falls into that category when we see the devastation he has caused. 

What has been discovered so far deep.beneath the ocean are pretty incredible looking creatures. 

As it is from the article in the op, the dangers do not mainly come from the sealife in the oceans,  but mainly the treacherous weathers of nature.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Not sure about monsters. Most discovered are not monster size. They are quite strange creatures,  but as yet when it comes to monsters,  I believe man falls into that category when we see the devastation he has caused. 

What has been discovered so far deep.beneath the ocean are pretty incredible looking creatures. 

As it is from the article in the op, the dangers do not mainly come from the sealife in the oceans,  but mainly the treacherous weathers of nature.

To be fair I did put quotation marks around monsters. :tsu:

But anyway I find it fascinating nevertheless. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The ocean terrifies me. Just like the you can't know everything that roams the universe because of the vastness, I believe that of the ocean. Plus there are so many things with so many teeth and legs that we are aware of *shivers*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ocean is so vast and the further down you go the darker it becomes. There is no telling what kinds of creatures are down there that are yet to be discovered. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

The Ocean is so vast and the further down you go the darker it becomes. There is no telling what kinds of creatures are down there that are yet to be discovered. 

I assume it's mostly hats and sunglasses.

• Haha 4

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming....."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming....."

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die”

2 hours ago, Katzenking said:

“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die”

"Never is it to be thought that Man is either oldest or last of the masters of the Earth, nor that the greater part of life and substance walks alone. The Old Ones were, The Old Ones are, The Old Ones shall be. Not in spaces known to us, but between them, they walk calm and primal, of  no dimension and to us unseen."

• Like 1

Any deep water scares me, sharks are my biggest fear. I am probably one of the very few that have no desire to ever holiday on a cruise ship.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tia said:

Any deep water scares me, sharks are my biggest fear. I am probably one of the very few that have no desire to ever holiday on a cruise ship.

My dream is to live alone on a ship in the middle of the ocean. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

My dream is to live alone on a ship in the middle of the ocean. 

Makes my dream look out of reach. I dream of world peace and all world governments combing technologies so we can properly **** off into space.

Ugh I watch too much Star Trek.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Makes my dream look out of reach. I dream of world peace and all world governments combing technologies so we can properly **** off into space.

Ugh I watch too much Star Trek.

Yeah. Yours is incomprehensible. We will only have world peace once we have all destroyed each other.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

Yeah. Yours is incomprehensible. We will only have world peace once we have all destroyed each other.

Deep but true.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Something appearing out of the dark mysterious to set a heart pounding.   Diving in 20 feet of murky water with a friend off the Oregon Coast pulling up the biggest clams ever out of the sandy bottom.  A huge shape appeared out of the gloom.  I stopped breathing, stayed on the bottom thinking a break for the surface would be a bad idea.  A diving knife is only a lethal weapon in the movies. The VW-sized Great White  resolved into a curious harbor seal.  Amazing transformation. May not have had my limit on clams, but I figured I had plenty.  

I came away believing that the truest sea monster encounters  seldom leave anyone to tell the tale.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:39 AM, ThereWeAreThen said:

Deep but true.

Maybe not.  Maybe not a path without pitfalls and setbacks either, but a worthy destiny.

• 1 month later...

I hope nobody will mind if I resurrect this topic?

From a zoological point of view the ocean is less explored than any other environment by leaps and bounds. A colleague of mine is now working on marine invertebrates in Australia and told me that every sample they analyse has a new species. In the last twenty five years especially, we have learnt a great deal more about the creatures we already "knew" existed, such as the true sizes that squid (giant and colossal) can attain.

Abyssal gigantism has been proven time and time again. I think it is highly likely we will find more surprises soon enough. As for the tall tales of fisherman, they may be so but every tale has a truth somewhere. I wonder if early sailors in small rowboats encountered very large squid which may have got agitated and latched onto their boats. This could account for the later exaggerated claims of 100ft squid taking down large ships...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, butterflygirl1 said:

I hope nobody will mind if I resurrect this topic?

From a zoological point of view the ocean is less explored than any other environment by leaps and bounds. A colleague of mine is now working on marine invertebrates in Australia and told me that every sample they analyse has a new species. In the last twenty five years especially, we have learnt a great deal more about the creatures we already "knew" existed, such as the true sizes that squid (giant and colossal) can attain.

Abyssal gigantism has been proven time and time again. I think it is highly likely we will find more surprises soon enough. As for the tall tales of fisherman, they may be so but every tale has a truth somewhere. I wonder if early sailors in small rowboats encountered very large squid which may have got agitated and latched onto their boats. This could account for the later exaggerated claims of 100ft squid taking down large ships...

Giant and colossal squids aren't the only intriguing cephalopods hiding out in the depths. Take for example the mysterious long-armed squid, which has only ever been captured on video a few times. It might be the adult form of the bigfin squid Magnapinna, which is only known from larval specimens, but even this isn't known for certain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Carnoferox said:

Giant and colossal squids aren't the only intriguing cephalopods hiding out in the depths. Take for example the mysterious long-armed squid, which has only ever been captured on video a few times. It might be the adult form of the bigfin squid Magnapinna, which is only known from larval specimens, but even this isn't known for certain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfin_squid

Thanks, I had heard briefly of these creatures but had no idea the only known type specimens were larvae!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:28 AM, Robotic Jew said:

I assume it's mostly hats and sunglasses.

You called?

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am most definitely a Thalassophile (which is a slightly dodgy, fancy term for being a lover of the sea). I have been drawn to the sea for as long as I can remember. Fishing, going out in boats, jumping into the sea, swimming in the sea. I live right by the sea in small coastal village in Scotland and watching the sea on stormy day is a real treat.  It is most definitely my happy place. Monsters or not.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AbrahamVanHelsing said:

I am most definitely a Thalassophile (which is a slightly dodgy, fancy term for being a lover of the sea). I have been drawn to the sea for as long as I can remember. Fishing, going out in boats, jumping into the sea, swimming in the sea. I live right by the sea in small coastal village in Scotland and watching the sea on stormy day is a real treat.  It is most definitely my happy place. Monsters or not.

Treat the Sea with respect and be cautious as it can turn nasty very quickly , regards .