Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Influence on English, in regard to semitic

VastLand

Recently, in another thread, and although off topic, there seemed to have been some quarrel, concerning the roots and influence, of the English language. It appears, some feel informed to believe that Semitic has no influence on English, aside from more recent loan words, that being, names from "Hebrew", which were adopted into England. Others, feel informed, believing a more alternative approach to the history of the English language, believing that English has some of her roots in the Semitic language.

What is true? That is the question for anyone looking to know. I have my opinion, and I will likely express it, so let us discuss. There may even be some discoveries, or facts to help validate the claims we may have. 

27 minutes ago, VastLand said:

Recently, in another thread, and although off topic, there seemed to have been some quarrel, concerning the roots and influence, of the English language. It appears, some feel informed to believe that Semitic has no influence on English, aside from more recent loan words, that being, names from "Hebrew", which were adopted into England. Others, feel informed, believing a more alternative approach to the history of the English language, believing that English has some of her roots in the Semitic language.

What is true? That is the question for anyone looking to know. I have my opinion, and I will likely express it, so let us discuss. There may even be some discoveries, or facts to help validate the claims we may have. 

So, what is your opinion and have you found any facts that back it up?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I can share that since you ask, but, I want for others to share theirs as well. It does not need to be all about me.

1 minute ago, Piney said:

The only group that pushes the theory that English has Semitic roots is.

http://www.hope-of-israel.org/

and this group

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Israelism

Both non-scholarly White Supremacists with a agenda.

You never cease to label anyone who disagrees with you as Mormon, it gets old.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, VastLand said:

Yeah, I can share that since you ask, but, I want for others to share theirs as well. It does not need to be all about me.

I need to look up what "semitic" means as a language.  I never thought of it that way.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Who said anything about Mormons?

Neither of those links are Mormon. Read them instead of making asinine statements. 

says the man who told me "Hope for Israel" were mormons.

Edited by VastLand

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I need to look up what "semitic" means as a language.  I never thought of it that way.

Semitic languages are part of the Afroasiatic language family.  Arabic and Hebrew are two examples of Semitic languages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Semitic languages are part of the Afroasiatic language family.  Arabic and Hebrew are two examples of Semitic languages.

Well, then.  Along with a lot of others of course english has those influences along with greek and roman and some ancient languages.  Also, some native languages from around the world, depending on where the english is spoken.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, VastLand said:

says the man who told me "Hope for Israel" were mormons.

I said no such thing. 

If I said it. Quote it, because your reading comprehension skills suck. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, VastLand said:

Recently, in another thread, and although off topic, there seemed to have been some quarrel, concerning the roots and influence, of the English language. It appears, some feel informed to believe that Semitic has no influence on English, aside from more recent loan words, that being, names from "Hebrew", which were adopted into England. Others, feel informed, believing a more alternative approach to the history of the English language, believing that English has some roots in the Semitic language is far-fetched with no evidence to support it. 

English is a West Germanic language. It is part of the Indo-European language family with evidence that its ancestor language was spoken in the southern Scandinavian and northern Germany regions. English has also borrowed heavily from the Romance languages (but those are more 'recent' influences). The notion that it has some roots in Semitic languages is far-fetched with no evidence to support it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Why is this even a question? Lots of languages have influenced English, depending on where it's been spoken, but at its core it is of Western Germanic origin.

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Why is this even a question? Lots of languages have influenced English, depending on where it's been spoken, but at its core it is of Western Germanic origin.

cormac

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse *****. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” James Nicoll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse *****. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.” James Nicoll.

yes exactly, I am not defending any purity to West germanic or to Indo-european languages, English is obviously a melding pot, and I would like to post on the matter, but I am busy with another thread.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:31 PM, VastLand said:

yes exactly, I am not defending any purity to West germanic or to Indo-european languages, English is obviously a melding pot, and I would like to post on the matter, but I am busy with another thread.

You started this thread. You can not make excuses that you are  busy with another thread to avoid questions and not put your take on this. 

The influences on the English language have changes a lot over the years. 

Most of the words from the ancient Greek writings are believed today to have come from a Semitic source. But it does not make them Semitic.

we use the name Jesus,  the source is semitic,  but it is from the Greeks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

You started this threat. You can not make excuses that you are  busy with another thread to avoid questions and not put your take on this. 

Because he pulls "theories" out of his hind end without reading anything.

I want a source for the idea that the Scythians are Semites and the ancestors to the Germanic People.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

You started this threat. You can not make excuses that you are  busy with another thread to avoid questions and not put your take on this. 

Well I am, deal with it.

2 hours ago, VastLand said:

there you go again, spreading false information. Giving a man, a bad name, who has nothing to do with it. The theory of Scythian migration into Europe, and Semitic languages melding into the pot have nothing to do with Jeff Benner.

Piney has told me in the past that "Hope for Israel" was Mormon, and now he does not share the same opinion, apparently?

He is also using Benner to label me as fringe, when benner does not deal with these matters.

Seems like Piney, you have a personal problem, maybe hidden resentments?

I was going to comment on this and quickly changed my mind since I don't argue without getting payed. it's  2000 $  for 30 min payment can be made to my PayPal account.  

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, VastLand said:

Well I am, deal with it.

Proof that Scythians are Semites and Proto-Germans please? 

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Proof that Scythians are Semites and Proto-Germans please? 

You know perfectly well he cannot present evidence that does not and has not ever existed!

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

You know perfectly well he cannot present evidence that does not and has not ever existed!

—Jaylemurph 

2 links I already posted spouted that garbage. I want to know where he got it from.  Because it can only be found among those links. 

Of course he doesn't want to admit that. 

1 hour ago, VastLand said:

Well I am, deal with it.

I will leave you to it,  I do not want to be responsible for over loading you brain cell as  it appears to be struggling already. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, VastLand said:

Well, reel it off, you seem like someone who says they have a secret, but when asked what it is, nothing to say !

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked