Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Influence on English, in regard to semitic

VastLand

40 minutes ago, VastLand said:

English, as they say comes from West Germanic, in her expansion west.

>>No, /you/ say that, as someone ignorant of basic linguistics. East Germanic and Western Germanic — insofar as these had independent existence and are not matters of historic convenience — arose simultaneously from different factors causing development from a proto-Germanic. 

and the people of pre-germany, were of course the Goths.

Except the Goths were never a single ethnic group. They were a confederacy of changing peoples like the Gepidi, Theuringi and Greuthungi, occasionally with Huns, Allans, Suebi and other ethnic groups. 

Even if they were, it’s a fallacy to make a one-to-one connection between ethnicity and language; people can speak different languages from their parents and community. 

Even if they were, there’s no record of the Goths as such til the fourth century, near the Black Sea. Not Germanic territory. Even their own legends (as reported in the Origo Gothica) say they came from Sweden. Not Germany.

Previous to the Goths however, were the Danim, the nation of Dan, who migrated into Europe, some speculate they were migrating within the Scythian Stock, who migrated into the West from the Near East (Northern Near East), into the very same region that these Goths moved into, but about One-Thousand Years before the goths ever moved south. Others speculate they moved into Europe via Ships, through the Grecian regions.

Evidence, please. Not even Wikipedia has an entry for “Danim” and nothing in the historical record of early Europe mentions them. And believe me, I know this material far better than you.

What you’re doing is mindlessly parroting a racist group of British people who wanted to be thought of as Jewish so they could feel good about colonizing and oppressing people around the world. This Dan business is them recycling the idea of the tribe of Dan from the Torah and rolling it up with ideas about history that were exploded decades previously (and this was already more than a hundred years ago).

Piney has already called you out on this bull****.

The rest of your post is further ignorant bull**** you’re too lazy to research properly. Quite why you’re flying the flag of century-old racist theory is another question, but for god’s sake, get some dignity and/or education and stop spouting this garbage.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VastLand said:

This is the first part of two posts that I will do. I need to go soon, from the library, and so, the second half will feature the Lanuages.

Save yourself the time and effort. You are clearly /profoundly/ ignorant about the subjects you’re talking about but lack the intelligence and/or self-awareness to recognize that. 

No one here wants to hear you parrot out-of-date racist self-justification and it’s growing tedious to identify all the mistakes you’re peddling. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orphalesion said:

Wasn't there also some attempt at some point to re-imagine the British as descendants of the survivors of Troy?

That’s a lot older — from the Middle Ages and early Renaissance. This British Israel garbage is from the last quarter of the 19th Century. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

England state  is of the only English languages of the tribes of England

Edited by docyabut2

27 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

England state  is of the only English languages of the tribes of England

This makes no sense. 

But it’s not that damned picture of Gades, which is something. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Wasn't there also some attempt at some point to re-imagine the British as descendants of the survivors of Troy?

That was a "carry over" of the Roman claim of such. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

This is a White Supremacy British Israelite website. 

Can Messianic Judaism be far behind? Oh, horrors!:o 

12 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Can Messianic Judaism be far behind? Oh, horrors!:o 

I don't think they preach IE folks are both Hebrews and the "Master Race?". :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Piney said:

The weird thing is, the only reason the Aeneid came into assistance was because the Romans were fanboys of Greek mythology and liked to write fanfiction for it....but once the Troian descend of Rome became 'canon" they started hating the Greeks for destroying their "ancestral home city". Even centuries later Dante shoved pretty much all the Archean/Greek actors of the Iliad into Hell because of that. 
It's downright bizarre.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

The Scots were supposed to be descended from an exiled Egyptian Princess called Scotia.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Scots were supposed to be descended from an exiled Egyptian Princess called Scotia.

Good one!

The Merovingians — the first royal house of France (sort of) — said they were descended from a sea monster called the Quinotaur.

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Although there are those who argue Troy was actually in Cambridgeshire ......

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/08/10/there-is-a-theory-that-the-city-of-troy-was-located-in-england-and-the-trojan-war-was-fought-between-groups-of-celts/

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Essan said:

Still better than docy’s 38,172th posting of that stupid map if Gades. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Still better than docy’s 38,172th posting of that stupid map if Gades. 

—Jaylemurph 

Do not tempt fate.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Do not tempt fate.

You say that like she might not ever post it again. She will. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

Just now, jaylemurph said:

You say that like she might not ever post it again. She will. 

—Jaylemurph 

I just want one damn thread where it’s not posted. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:39 PM, Piney said:

It's from Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain (which has the first mention of King Arthur and is the topic of a lecture I'm giving this week... and that's how I happen to know THAT)

He and his earlier sources crafted a history of "nobility" on their rulers by making them the descendants of noble "Brutus of Troy"

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

It's from Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain (which has the first mention of King Arthur and is the topic of a lecture I'm giving this week... and that's how I happen to know THAT)

He and his earlier sources crafted a history of "nobility" on their rulers by making them the descendants of noble "Brutus of Troy"

Much as how a cretin “De Piffle” can trace his ancestry back to God.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I posted it earlier. You have to stop skipping comments mum!  :lol:

On 11/6/2019 at 9:45 PM, Piney said:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Piney said:

I posted it earlier. You have to stop skipping comments mum!  :lol:

Yer a good kidlet, takin' care o' yer ol' mum an' settin' 'er on th' right path.  :D

• Haha 2

On 11/4/2019 at 8:05 PM, Jodie.Lynne said:

OK, your writing style is a little confusing, but can you give some examples of Semitic words than have been incorporated into English, other than names.

Algebra.

Harte

• Like 3