Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Mormon family 'massacred' in Mexico attack

53 posts in this topic

OverSword
9 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Well skliss did give me what for over that one.  I do tend to get a little snarky sometimes.  Still it might be passed time for a third party to do a little house claening.

The guillotine party? (He asks hope in his voice)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

skliss
8 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Thank you for the reply and your excellent points that highlight this very complicated issue that is plaguing America and the need for some new strategies to better manage it. Like all folks my views on subjects are shaped by my personal life experiences and that is why I have a soft spot for these lost souls battling their addictions and their families who are suffering as well. To give you a little insight on what shapes my thinking here let me give you a little family history. My oldest sister died from a accidental heroin overdose at the age of 44 leaving behind 2 children and 6 grandchildren. As we would later find out the heroin she used that day was laced with fentanyl. I'm sure my sister had no idea that after a car accident 4 years earlier and being given pain medication for the first time in her life she would one day die this way. My sister was brain dead but kept alive by a ventilator for four days for the sole purpose of allowing my niece and nephew to get used to the idea that their, Mother who was successful in all other areas of her life except this one, had tragically died at the age of 44.  Also my Father who liked his beer way too much probably died 15 years before his time but thankfully there was treatment available for his alcoholism and after spending a 6 weeks in a hospital for treatment he never touched another drop. I can't tell you how happy we all were to have our Father and Grandfather back and how grateful were to the people at that hospital that literally saved his life. Let me say that I believe that addiction is an illness of sorts that should be treated from a medical perspective and not stigmatized nor should these sick folks be ridiculed or ostracize for having it. I completely understand why some folks might dislike people who struggle with substance abuse as the behavior associated with it could easily make the most loving Mother disown their son or daughter. Let me make a comparison. Let's look at the disease of Type 2 Diabetes that effects millions of people around the world that often leads to limb amputations, blindness and premature deaths. I don't know anyone personally that ridicules these folks but one could argue that this illness is self inflicted based on a poor diet and a lack of exercise. I can't recall any instance where the media belittles these folks for their poor choices in life but I can give you thousands of examples where they have done just that to people who struggle with Substance abuse and here is an example from two days ago below. The same argument could be made for the individual who has heart disease and eats a lot of fast foods and doesn't follow the diet given to him by his Physician and winds up having a heart attack or stroke and leaves behind another grieving family because he couldn't muster up the will to stop eating french fries or cake even though he knew full well that one day that behavior might kill him. Shaming any or all of these obviously medically ill folks does not motivate them to change or to seek treatment, it only serves to drive them further underground, picture nice lady sneaking a piece of cake when no one is looking, and away from treatment and their families to deal with the already enormous amount of guilt and shame they feel everyday over their own poor choices and an illness that appears to have few solutions other than the treatment they so desperately need but are often to embarrassed to seek. 

The AMA view on Addiction, and in my Sister's case they couldn't have been more accurate.

The Definition of Alcoholism

Therefore, the committee agreed to define alcoholism as a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial. Each of these symptoms may be continuous or periodic.

Read more: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/399449

How Matthew Perry went from ‘90s heartthrob to shambling wreck

For a decade, he was the handsome, quirky boy next door on the hit sitcom, “Friends.” But now Matthew Perry is making fans wonder what’s become of the lovable 90s heartthrob, as photos have emerged of the troubled actor wandering around Los Angeles looking like a slovenly, slack-jawed hobo. The alarming new images show the 50-year-old staggering out of a restaurant Sunday in a state of disarray and sucking on a cigarette with a mystery woman. They immediately raised questions about whether Perry, who has been candid about his years of substance abuse issues, had again fallen off the wagon.

Read more: https://pagesix.com/2019/11/05/matthew-perrys-addiction-struggles-inside-his-long-road-of-recovery-and-relapse/

So....Im not sure why you addressed all that to me? Or what in fact it had to do with anything I said? I'm sorry for what you've gone thru but you are far and away not the only one here who has been affected by a friend or loved one with an addiction problem. I bet many here have been including myself. 

What I was saying is that legalization wont help this problem and imo would exacerbate it. Someone was discussing the system they have for controlling and limiting drugs. That's great but does anyone think that an addict is going to say "Gee, I guess I'll wait until next week when my prescription will be ready to get my drugs"? No, they will go straight back to their neighborhood dealer. And legalization brings the argument of legitimacy with it that will allow people to convince themselves it's a-okay because the govt says so. For some people the fear of getting caught and the illegality keeps them to a recreational use in their own homes, I predict a lot more people drugged in public or behind the wheel with legalization. It's already dangerous enough out there. 

As to it being a sickness...yes and no, I think most addictions start on a psychological level before it becomes physically addictive. Both need be addressed but it is a sickness that can be overcome purely through determination and desire. I also think there is a genetic component as it seems to run in some families but that could be habitual or learned behaviour as well. It's a complicated subject.

• Like 1

BrooklynGuy

More news on this very sad story:

Funerals held for Mormon family massacred by Mexican drug cartel

They were laid to rest the same way they died — together. One of the mothers murdered by drug cartel gunmen in Mexico was buried in a large grave beside her two sons in the first of three funerals Thursday. Residents of the tiny hamlet of La Mora in Sonora state built pine coffins by hand to hold the remains of Dawna Ray Langford and her kids, Trevor, 11, and Rogan, 2. As many as 1,000 mourners, some from as far away as Utah, flooded the area for the funerals on Thursday and Friday under the watchful eye of Mexican army troops.

Read more: https://nypost.com/2019/11/07/funerals-held-for-mormon-family-massacred-by-mexican-drug-cartel/

• Like 1