Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The universe may be a big loop, study claims

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

Maybe it is a sphere, as patterns seem to be repeated on various scales.

Even more bizarre is if we go from the smallest to ever increasingly larger scales we might end up where we started too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

Even more bizarre is if we go from the smallest to ever increasingly larger scales we might end up where we started too.

I've pondered that for a while. it does seem to be a possibility. 

Also, what if 'parallel universes' are actually just whole universes at a scale much smaller (or larger) than ours. ie: Our universe, and infinite others, are within subatomic particles within another universe, and/or vice versa. 

It's all fun stuff to think about, at least.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Seti42 said:

It's all fun stuff to think about, at least.

Not for me. It makes my brain hurt trying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A spherical universe seems less likely than a flat universe and the same data has been used to confirm the view that the universe is flat, or as close to flat as can currently be measured. 

The universe we live in is a Mobius strip. No end, no beginning, no inside and no outside

Edited by Wreck7
  • Like 1

i actually posited this idea all by myself without any knowledge of previous ideas back in my 20's after thinking hard about how gravity is a spherical curvature of space and then i scaled it up. but wouldnt this mean that if you look far enough away youd actually see where you started from....if you could see that far/ or the universe was old enough. mostly i wondered what would be beyond the universe? endless void? or was it a bubble that you could never exit from because there is quite literally nothing outside the realm of the universe. and by nothing i mean no reality. therefore reality exists in this universe, and we get to experience something we see as reality. so there very fact idea that reality can exist or not is interesting. GOD exists!

They have it all wrong the universe is shaped like a TORUS

If scientists have stated the universe is flat, how thick is it? I always pictured it as a pulsating blob amongst bigger and smaller blobs, gently bouncing off each other. When ever they touch weird stuff happens.

/why yes, I am stoned. Why do you ask? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

Maybe it is a sphere, as patterns seem to be repeated on various scales.

Good point, Nature does tend to repeat herself.

52 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'll keep saying the universe is a type of tesseract regardless of the shape they decide. 

how about a torus tesseract :tsu:

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I'll keep saying the universe is a type of tesseract regardless of the shape they decide. 

It can't be, cuz I can't find that word in my dictionary. :P

Gravity is a kind of buoyancy, not a curvature. Tesla was right, Einstein was wrong. Space does have a fluid nature and alters in density. Things moving into those areas of less spacial density is what we call gravity.

An example to prove the fluid nature. Looking down from the north pole the Earth rotates counter clockwise and orbits the sun counter clockwise. This means the midnight side of the Earth is being rotated into the direction of travel and the noon side opposite the direction of travel. People on the midnight side of the Earth are moving through space faster than people on the noon side. Yet there is no measurable Time Dilation difference between the noon and midnight sides of the Earth. Therefore, either a kind of "ether dragging" effect does exist, or the Earth is not moving at all and is in fact the center of the universe. Thus proving that either space has a fluid nature or the entirety of astrophysics is a lie.

Edited by Trihalo42
copy paste limitations
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Trihalo42 said:

Gravity is a kind of buoyancy, not a curvature. Tesla was right, Einstein was wrong. Space does have a fluid nature and alters in density. Things moving into those areas of less spacial density is what we call gravity.

An example to prove the fluid nature. Looking down from the north pole the Earth rotates counter clockwise and orbits the sun counter clockwise. This means the midnight side of the Earth is being rotated into the direction of travel and the noon side opposite the direction of travel. People on the midnight side of the Earth are moving through space faster than people on the noon side. Yet there is no measurable Time Dilation difference between the noon and midnight sides of the Earth. Therefore, either a kind of "ether dragging" effect does exist, or the Earth is not moving at all and is in fact the center of the universe. Thus proving that either space has a fluid nature or the entirety of astrophysics is a lie.

If your example disproves Einstein you need to be sharing it on more specific sites than this!  I would suggest you contact  https://journals.aps.org/rmp/, https://www.newscientist.com/section/news/, https://www.nature.com/nphys/, https://iopscience.iop.org/ or https://www.journals.elsevier.com/computer-methods-in-applied-mechanics-and-engineering

These are the fora your astounding insight deserves.  There you'll meet like-minded intellectuals who can help you develop your proposition to the point of acceptability.  After all you have to overcome a hundred years of entrenched, established wisdom, during which time no-one has ever devised an experiment that has proven Einstein's theories are wrong.  And believe me - many have tried!  

If I understand your example correctly then there should be a measurable time-dilation at each point on the Earth's surface.  As we approach dawn our orbital speed and our rotational speed combine to produce a higher velocity, then immediately after dawn we need to subtract our rotational speed from our orbital speed since they're now in different directions.  The measurable difference will be greatest at midday and midnight.  

If my understanding is correct this is the equation to use:

Image result for time dilation equations"

If my maths is right this equation ought to give a measurable time difference of one part in 1013.  Does any reader have an insight into:

• is any of this correct,
  • is the calculated time-dilation measurable,
  • does this show Tesla was right and Einstein was wrong?

If so you will be contributing to science and Trihalo42's Nobel Prize for Physics!

• Like 1

In years to come will we be lumping the Flat Universers with the Flat Earthers me wonders.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The universe is:

On 11/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, L.A.T.1961 said:

A spherical universe seems less likely than a flat universe and the same data has been used to confirm the view that the universe is flat, or as close to flat as can currently be measured. 

Let me try to explain why they both make sense to me and the data might be right. See when i try to conceive of travelling continuously and arriving where i started it sounds like a flat earther's idea of earth. It is not magical it is a circle we know we just came all the way aroundø like an ant on a baseball would. 

Now if we cant manuever in all dimensions, only 3 or 4, then maybe spherical is just our perception of our limits. Just as with a flat plane. If we are unwittingly on a sort of surface, not noticing the extra dimensions, then really it would be flat, and spherical, and still infinite if other directions could be utilized. I see black holes as holes where the density has torn through our flat sheet and pours through to another layer. Sorry thats just what i always visualized.

Personally I don't believe in the big bang, but I have always wondeted why if an explosion was moving outwards than why doesnt it look like such? An actual explosion from one singular source in a vacuum would be spherical wouldnt it?

Edited by Nnicolette

15 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

Personally I don't believe in the big bang, but I have always wondeted why if an explosion was moving outwards than why doesnt it look like such? An actual explosion from one singular source in a vacuum would be spherical wouldnt it?

As I understand it the idea of curved space is not the same as a universe that has a spherical volume. In a universe that is like a big balloon you could set off in one direction and keep going, if space is not curved. If it is curved you would eventually come back to the starting point. The concept is also mind curving. :) 

if  the universe is a curved one and i believe it is, it would of course mean that it is not infinite....which of course it cannot be. but whats beyond the edge of the universe? there is no edge in a curved universe. right?