Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A 2500-year-old cat mummy scanned

Still Waters

A 2,500-year-old mummified Egyptian cat has been digitally dissected for the first time - and researchers were shocked to discover what was inside.

CT scans of the mummy, which resides in the Museum of Fine Arts in Rennes, France, reveal that the ancient wrappings contain three tails and five hind legs.

There is a ball of textile in place of a head, according to the researchers from the French National Institute for Preventitive Archaeological Research (INRAP).

The Frankenstein-like creature is also missing vertebrae and ribs, suggesting that rather than a single cat, this is actually a mixture of several different felines. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7650839/Ancient-Egyptian-cat-mummy-preserved-French-museum-three-tails-five-hind-legs.html

https://www.inrap.fr/voyage-dans-une-cybermomie-de-chat-au-musee-des-beaux-arts-de-rennes-14630?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Suppose it saves on i individual wrappings.

arinsa_-_1_1.jpg?itok=PW9Ij-E1

Looks like a devils head.

What category of feline has three tails and five hind legs?!  It sounds as if the clowder of cats that went into that one mummy must have been in some kind of catastrophe. If the burials with only one cat bone, or none at all, had been revealed to the people who arranged for a whole cat to be buried, would they have had a catfit? 

21 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Suppose it saves on i individual wrappings.

arinsa_-_1_1.jpg?itok=PW9Ij-E1

Looks like a devils head.

I don't see anything other than bones, lots of bones

How can one tell how many hind legs there are in this image, or  them bones belong to different cats.

1 hour ago, MissJatti said:

I don't see anything other than bones, lots of bones

How can one tell how many hind legs there are in this image, or  them bones belong to different cats.

They do something called volume reconstruction to count the numbers and determine what they are and they are the experts so can identify what is in there. 

Looks like a bundle of bones to me too,   what they are able to do is pretty amazing. 

Cats are fast. Maybe tails and back legs are all this priest could catch? :lol: