Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chat Room software or option

Not A Rockstar

I miss the ancient days when you could go to yahoo and make a room and chat with your family or friends for a while, then shut it down and be gone. I am wondering if anyone knows a good option to do this yourself? Perhaps there are secure sites known which offer this option? I have snooped around a bit but am left feeling I have not found hat I am looking for. The legit stuff seems to be for business sites and support sorts of things, and I just want a social option. It would be cool to send a link for example and chat with UM folks for a bit, for an example, who opted to come and visit a while. Or be able to send a link and set a time for family or friends.

Somebody has to know some decent options, surely?

Know anything I can look at as an option?

• Like 2

I use Discord.  You can create a channel, invite whoever you like in there, delete it when finished or keep it for another day.  :yes:

edit: I meant to add this sorry - you can use it through your browser or you can download the software.  Both work pretty much the same and it's easy to set up.  It's very customisable too.  

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Thanks 1

Ever heard of Paltalk? 

• Like 1

I want an option that when it is not being modded it can be closed, and discord doesn't seem set up how I am thinking. I am on discord for a few games, including one I am a GM for.

The one time I heard of paltalk was in a review and it sounded like it was for business websites but I will look at it again and see what you are thinking of, Scholar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I want an option that when it is not being modded it can be closed, and discord doesn't seem set up how I am thinking. I am on discord for a few games, including one I am a GM for.

On Discord if you have your family and friends added as friends, you can just add them all to the one conversation.  Just as if you'd have your own chat room like in the old days on yahoo.  After you've finished talking, you just hang up or shut the program down.  Is the hassle with this because all of your family and friends would have to have discord?  I can see how that would be annoying.  

There is skype, but I find it too "heavy" compared to other chat programs nowadays.  

I think what I want is the ability to have a sort of pop up chat. So, like, I could post a link on a forum and say I am on if anyone is bored and wants to chat. They click, join and when whoever all wanted to come along left, it could go away. Like hey on weekends we have chat... that sort of scheme.

I will find one. It has to be doable. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I think what I want is the ability to have a sort of pop up chat. So, like, I could post a link on a forum and say I am on if anyone is bored and wants to chat. They click, join and when whoever all wanted to come along left, it could go away. Like hey on weekends we have chat... that sort of scheme.

I will find one. It has to be doable. 

Ooh ok.  Gosh isn't it crazy to think we don't have a simple chat system like we used to have back in the old days like that.  

I've actually made myself get used to discord - but that was after using teamspeak.  That seems like eons ago now.  Plus skype I was a beta tester on in the beginning as we moved away from MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger.  

They've made chat programs "not so simple"  now haven't they.  :lol:

• Like 1

Yes we used to have chat here, and it was fun to run into other members away from the forums and just talk movies or something. I miss that being here, but totally grasp why it went away (or rather why it maybe did. Not as if I KNOW, but you gotta have it modded and mods got things to do).

• Like 1

What about IRC?  I mean that's an oldie but goodie.  It might be a bit too hard for people who aren't tech savvy though, that's the only problem with that.  I still go on irc to get my ebooks from a channel that I found in 2002, so it's 17 years old.  I still see the same names in there serving since way back when.  IRC is something that hasn't changed, I'll give it that.  :lol:

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1