Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Democrats flip Virginia State Senate

ExpandMyMind

Democrats have won control of all of Richmond.

In a major victory for the party, Democrats in Virginia on Tuesday flipped both the state Senate and the House of Delegates, giving them control of both the governor’s office and the legislature for the first time in more than two decades, The Associated Press projected.

"We did it," tweeted former Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe. "We got them both. Hard work pays off. VA is ALL BLUE!"

Ahead of Tuesday’s vote, Republicans had a slim majority in both the state House and Senate, but Virginia has been trending blue for years thanks to growth in more diverse, liberal suburbs and cities, and population declines in more rural, conservative areas.

Gov. Ralph Northam, a Democrat, was not up for reelection Tuesday but actively campaigned for Democrats in his state, after surviving the blackface scandal earlier this year.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/virginia-democrats-state-house-senate

I found this part quite funny:

Also in Virginia on Tuesday, Juli Briskman, the female cyclist who flipped off President Trump’s motorcade last year, defeated a Republican incumbent for a seat on the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors.

Dems also had a smaller victory in Kentucky's Governor race, although I believe the Republican has refused to concede. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Dems also had a smaller victory in Kentucky's Governor race, although I believe the Republican has refused to concede. 

Matt Bevin said he wasn't conceding. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Piney said:

Matt Bevin said he wasn't conceding. 

I don't think it'll matter in the long run. There were Republicans (one, that I remember) in the Primaries who did the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump is going to sign some executive order to have all those elected "taken care of "

:lol:

~

Virginia is an agricultural state who's main source of money is tobacco.  Somehow I don't see being solely run by the party of taxes and regulations a good fit.  But good for them :)

Looking forward to seeing how the Dem's manage the State.