Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Afterlife, digital copies or clones

jmccr8

10 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Sherapy 

I was just amending my post when you posted this, some minds huh.:innocent::whistle:

Personally I would have a hard time with it maybe harder that I care to think about. If I am in a relationship it isn't just physical appeal but the whole package, smart, funny, confident and knows that they are the most desirable part of my life although sometimes I don't express it properly.

One time I phoned my wife at quitting time and told her I was famished and she should slide down the bannister and warm up supper, that didn't go over so well as I got a hardy serving of cold shoulder and hot tongue for supper that night.:huh:

jmccr8

My ex was real uptight too, he had a lot of insecurities that got in the way of celebrating our sexual essence. 

Like you I have to be with a person who is open and adaptable sexually. For ex: hypothetically if we had issues that got in the way I would want a partner who had imagination and flexibility.  Abstinence is out of the question, I think not to be desired or wanted would play havoc on ones self esteem. I know a lot of couples no one in real life martyrs themselves when it comes to intimacy,.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Also cloning for evolutionary advantage some basics matter, brawn, brains, sex appeal and probably reproductive advantage.

My sister is engaged to this guy 7 years now and the relationship is not intimate and I asked her how does this work, why would you consider marrying the guy  (they are in there 50s ) she said and I quote “you have to find someone attractive to even want to be intimate with them”  I personally, could not accept being in a sexless situation and therefore would not be a good match.

Jay, what are your thoughts on this? 

Someone's putting bromide in their tea !

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Someone's putting bromide in their tea !

Hi Habitat

Is that what they do in the soap operas?:unsure:

jmccr8

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

What?

the old story was that the army would slip a libido-dampening substance into the diet of the troops, during the war.

Question

My male partner, who spent six years in the Navy, has said that bromide was regularly used to suppress the men’s sexual feelings.

Is this correct?

How would it work and what are the implications for his health now having been 'subjected' to bromide?

Answer

Yes, the drug called 'bromide' (potassium bromide) was indeed used by doctors many years ago - and it is said that this may have been more common in the services.

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Hi Habitat

Is that what they do in the soap operas?:unsure:

jmccr8

You'd have to ask Ridge Forrester

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

the old story was that the army would slip a libido-dampening substance into the diet of the troops, during the war.

Question

My male partner, who spent six years in the Navy, has said that bromide was regularly used to suppress the men’s sexual feelings.

Is this correct?

How would it work and what are the implications for his health now having been 'subjected' to bromide?

Answer

Yes, the drug called 'bromide' (potassium bromide) was indeed used by doctors many years ago - and it is said that this may have been more common in the services.

In keeping with my sisters reasons it is she doesn’t find her partner attractive, of course she doesn’t say this to him, but she does to me. 

My point is in cloning things basic attraction matters too. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 2

Just now, Sherapy said:

In keeping with my sisters reasons it is she doesn’t find her partner attractive, of course she doesn’t say this to him, but she does to me. 

He sounds a bit unusual, to accept that situation, to say the least. I was watching a show about some young women who were staunch Catholics, one was 32 and single, a ripping sort really, very articulate, but was non-negotiable on "chaste until married". She was finding it difficult  find anyone who would accept that. It would certainly reduce the field of possible husbands

4 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Question

Is this correct?

Answer

Hi Habitat

They used to tell us that they used saltpeter in the instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk at the army bases here but I never noticed any problem getting up at revelle.:D

jmccr8

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Habitat said:

He sounds a bit unusual, to accept that situation, to say the least. I was watching a show about some young women who were staunch Catholics, one was 32 and single, a ripping sort really, very articulate, but was non-negotiable on "chaste until married". She was finding it difficult  find anyone who would accept that. It would certainly reduce the field of possible husbands

The boyfriend is crippled in insecurities. Poor guy goes on these rants how great he is all the time to compensate. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

Hi Habitat

Chaste after marriage is the current issue being discussed, there are some that have stayed married and been sexless for much longer than Sherapy's sister's relationship.

jmccr8

• Like 2

Is your sister married to him, sherapy ? I thought not ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

So what you're saying here is that you want to marry a clone of someone instead of the original someone... 

Same difference... 

~

Not surprising...

~

You could always try telling the truth but meh... 

~

No And again you must have a problem with language to ifer thet

No Having a healthy ego means i would prefer someone difernt to myself to complement my own skills and  make uo for my weakness.

I dont require a clone of myself to validate myself. 

I always tell the truth. If you dont believe me, prove me wrong. 

Anyways, what arrangements exist between people is entirely their own business, in voluntary circumstances. But sexless marriages are not uncommon, after being together for years.

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Anyways, what arrangements exist between people is entirely their own business, in voluntary circumstances. But sexless marriages are not uncommon, after being together for years.

Hi Habitat

Of course that is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexless_marriage

Causes[edit]

Sexless marriages can develop over time from a range of possible causes. According to psychotherapist Tina Tessina, "The most common causes of sexless marriages (are that) one partner had their feelings hurt or got turned down too many times; one got too busy or neglectful; or one or both partners has a communication problem of some sort."[1] Clinical sexologist Judith Steinhart notes that "Problems in a marriage (like) lack of trust, anxiety, misunderstandings, pressure from children, all can affect a couple's sexual patterns."[1]

Some couples may have sexless marriages because they have different work schedules or busy lives. For couples with children, especially young children, the demands of childbearing and child rearing can lead to stress and exhaustion. Fatigue or exhaustion can also arise from other causes, such as chronic fatigue syndrome.

Adultery can lead to a sexless marriage in two ways: it can cause the partner having the affair to have reduced sexual interest in their spouse, and if the affair is discovered, the "innocent" spouse may cease to want to be intimate with the cheating spouse.

Sexual aversion or "a low level of sexual desire" includes a lack of sexual vitality due to age, past trauma, partners' incompatible sexual orientation or, simply, one of the spouses losing sexual interest in the regular companion.

Sexual dysfunction or difficulty during any stage of the sexual act includes but is not limited to severe vaginismus or erectile dysfunction, and lack of sensations, desire or ability to achieve orgasm resulting as side effects from medication or illegal drugs. Some antidepressant drugs such as SSRIs can cause difficulty with achieving an erection or an orgasm. Sexless marriages can be caused by post-pregnancy issues and hormonal imbalances, which can be temporary or permanent in nature, or by illness of one or both partners that affect physical or psychological sexuality (e.g., clinical depression of one or both partners).

A marriage may also be sexless if one or both partners are asexual or if the couple mutually agrees to abstain from sex due to religious principles, avoidance of sexually transmitted diseases, a platonic basis for the relationship or the goal of avoiding conception. Other reasons for sexless marriages are resentment in the relationship due to an imbalance of duties, responsibilities (moral, spiritual and religious); incompatible ideal, spiritual, moral and behavioral aspects.

Some chronic marital conflict can generate a state of permanent hostility that prevents or blocks sexual expression. It's usually the partner who behaves in a passive aggressive way the one who blocks sexual intercourse as punishment for some imaginary or real slight received from the other. Partners then feel resentment because of the perceived rejection by the partner who lost interest in sexual communication. Loneliness, anger and self-esteem lowering are normal reactions by a person feeling their sexual human needs frustrated by the voluntary rejection from partner.[3]

Some couples may be married solely for legal purposes or tax benefits, i.e. what is colloquially called a marriage of convenience. For example, in the US a spouse is entitled to Green Card if married to an American citizen or permanent resident. Another reason for a "marriage of convenience" is the lavender marriage, which conceals the homosexual or bisexual orientation of one or both spouses.

Habituation can be an important factor as well.[4] Frequency of intercourse tends to diminish over time, especially after 1–2 years of marriage. Sex takes place with the same person all the time in the same way. Novelty and interest can be lost, and routine may dominate.[citation needed]

See also[edit]

jmccr8

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Is your sister married to him, sherapy ? I thought not ?

No, but he wants to marry her, 

Obviously he is not of sound mind and neither is she. 

Edited by Sherapy

Just now, Sherapy said:

No, but he wants to marry her, 

Obviously he is not of sound mind, 

I take it you aren't that fond of your sister ! Anyway, they can sort it out.

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Fears,..:huh: huh about what talking? I had hoped that I made it clear that I was not speaking down to you just trying to show certain differences that might be required in selection and that not all people would be candidates.

Walker, I was not talking down to you, yes you may have had some periods of time alone but you have shown a desire to be accepted by others and a couple of months is nothing in terms some people's lives nothing to get upset about. I have been single for 35-6 yrs worked alone so there are going to be obvious differences in our tolerances that's all.

Ask a guy who wins the lottery if people around them change, as an android you may be subject to social isolation because people fear the tech or hate it and you have never dealt with racism and I grew up with it not saying it's a detriment just saying that it might be a more difficult challenge then it seems at firdt glance.

Ultimately your community would not see THE YOU in the same way and see you as a something other.

I never have I go where ever I want and don't care what people think because I am a fair man.

All I am saying is that there will be certain criteria that will need to be met in order to ensure a successful transition and there will be a limited number of people that will satisfy the criteria.:D

jmccr8

Well the comments didn't apply to me so I had to assume the y were constructs built on your own understandings and experiences 

Never considered you ere talking down to me but i do think you've misinterpreted my character.  I like company but i dont need it to validate myslef I have adequate resources in my own mind to keep me busy all the rest of my life, if i had to live alone.

You are right I would not choose to live alone for years because, to me, it is part of being human; to love, share, and live with others.  but i could do and be happy if I had to I dont care about others Yes its easy being white male handsome and intelligent without any gender issues or disabilities. But its how I was raised Id be the same if i was black without limbs and transgender 

It is how i treat others. i don't see race gender or physical appearance. I see a mind and a behaviour, and i pick my company(  individual and community) based on how a person behaves and what sort of values and ethics the y have    I dont know nor am i worried about how my community might see me.

The y tend to be like me and treat peole as individuals based not on colour etc but on their values and behaviours.

But anyway I dont see it as an issue given that all my neighbours might have had the same treatment.   It would be like swapping tales about our implanted pacemakers and defibrillators and artificial  valves etc   Eg "How does your GE positronic brain feel?  I am really happy with my Sanyo one, especially since i had the latest upgrade  " :) 

Its interesting In the beginning you might be right about limited numbers but if it follows the example of other medical advances it might be available after a decade or two,  to any Australian resident free  as a part of the medical sysem Jus t like pacemakers,  mechanical  heart  valves, bionic limbs,  and other artificial aids are, today. 

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

so you could be in the body of a Brad Pitt look a like in his 20's, or an ant- but still type the same stuff... hmmm, ok then . oh joy

I did say the host would have to have a brain capacity capable of uploading  and using my consciousness.

I am not sure tha t either an ant or Brad Pitt would qualify .  :)  But seriously, our identity is not constructed by our body, but by our mind.

So I could be me in any human body or any advanced artificial brain and body. Indeed it might be fun, especially if it was not permanent 

yep even if i looked as bad as Brad Pitt,  I would still have the same thoughts beliefs values etc. 

3 hours ago, Dejarma said:

we?? who is this<we> you refer to?

Humans( based on psychology 303 ) 

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I take it you aren't that fond of your sister ! Anyway, they can sort it out.

I care very much about my sister, I am working with her to get her therapy and help her see that she can do better. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Walker

Curious thought, if people were making multiple copies of themselves would you have to propose to the original donor or just buy one?:lol:

jmccr8

in my world the y would be fully human. with full  human rights, not blade runners. So no, the y couldn't be bought and sold.

There will be non- fully slef aware androids programmed as sex toys, if you want that sort of thing :)  But no slef aware being can be treated as property,. whether it is organic or mechanical   

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

I care very much about my sister, I am working with her to get her therapy and help her see that she can do better. 

She doesn't have a taste for dirty old men, does she?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

She doesn't have a taste for dirty old men, does she?

By all reports, NO

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Habitat

Of course that is true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexless_marriage

Causes[edit]

Sexless marriages can develop over time from a range of possible causes. According to psychotherapist Tina Tessina, "The most common causes of sexless marriages (are that) one partner had their feelings hurt or got turned down too many times; one got too busy or neglectful; or one or both partners has a communication problem of some sort."[1] Clinical sexologist Judith Steinhart notes that "Problems in a marriage (like) lack of trust, anxiety, misunderstandings, pressure from children, all can affect a couple's sexual patterns."[1]

Some couples may have sexless marriages because they have different work schedules or busy lives. For couples with children, especially young children, the demands of childbearing and child rearing can lead to stress and exhaustion. Fatigue or exhaustion can also arise from other causes, such as chronic fatigue syndrome.

Adultery can lead to a sexless marriage in two ways: it can cause the partner having the affair to have reduced sexual interest in their spouse, and if the affair is discovered, the "innocent" spouse may cease to want to be intimate with the cheating spouse.

Sexual aversion or "a low level of sexual desire" includes a lack of sexual vitality due to age, past trauma, partners' incompatible sexual orientation or, simply, one of the spouses losing sexual interest in the regular companion.

Sexual dysfunction or difficulty during any stage of the sexual act includes but is not limited to severe vaginismus or erectile dysfunction, and lack of sensations, desire or ability to achieve orgasm resulting as side effects from medication or illegal drugs. Some antidepressant drugs such as SSRIs can cause difficulty with achieving an erection or an orgasm. Sexless marriages can be caused by post-pregnancy issues and hormonal imbalances, which can be temporary or permanent in nature, or by illness of one or both partners that affect physical or psychological sexuality (e.g., clinical depression of one or both partners).

A marriage may also be sexless if one or both partners are asexual or if the couple mutually agrees to abstain from sex due to religious principles, avoidance of sexually transmitted diseases, a platonic basis for the relationship or the goal of avoiding conception. Other reasons for sexless marriages are resentment in the relationship due to an imbalance of duties, responsibilities (moral, spiritual and religious); incompatible ideal, spiritual, moral and behavioral aspects.

Some chronic marital conflict can generate a state of permanent hostility that prevents or blocks sexual expression. It's usually the partner who behaves in a passive aggressive way the one who blocks sexual intercourse as punishment for some imaginary or real slight received from the other. Partners then feel resentment because of the perceived rejection by the partner who lost interest in sexual communication. Loneliness, anger and self-esteem lowering are normal reactions by a person feeling their sexual human needs frustrated by the voluntary rejection from partner.[3]

Some couples may be married solely for legal purposes or tax benefits, i.e. what is colloquially called a marriage of convenience. For example, in the US a spouse is entitled to Green Card if married to an American citizen or permanent resident. Another reason for a "marriage of convenience" is the lavender marriage, which conceals the homosexual or bisexual orientation of one or both spouses.

Habituation can be an important factor as well.[4] Frequency of intercourse tends to diminish over time, especially after 1–2 years of marriage. Sex takes place with the same person all the time in the same way. Novelty and interest can be lost, and routine may dominate.[citation needed]

See also[edit]

jmccr8

Thank you, sexless marriages generally have some issue, it is not the normal to be okay with a sexless marriage. 
My Dad’s new gf is 80 and she has opened my Dad up in an intimate sense. He is a new person. 

Older folks do enjoy sex and are having it. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked