Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Animal cruelty to become a federal felony?

Eldorado

"The U.S. Senate has passed a bill making certain types of animal cruelty a federal felony.

"The Senate unanimously passed the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act, which criminalizes certain acts of animal cruelty.

"The bipartisan bill, which was passed Tuesday afternoon, will now be sent to President Donald Trump's desk for his signature."

Full report at ABC: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/senate-unanimously-passes-bill-making-animal-cruelty-federal/story?id=66788673

The Bill at Congress: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/724/text

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful and encouraging step forward.  I hope we make the same strides where human offspring are concerned, someday.

• Like 7

I certainly hope so.  Here in Dallas we have a real problem with people involved in dog fighting and cockfighting -- there are areas that have become dumping grounds for dead, dying, and severely injured animals.  Right now, the punishment for this is relatively minor.  It needs to be harsher. 

• Like 8

I hope it includes the protection of livestock animals (cows, pigs, sheep, caged chickens etc).  Don't know what conditions are like in America, but in the UK I've seen far too many farmers escape prosecution.  When market prices are too low they kill their own livestock to reduce their numbers and increase prices.  They intentionally let them freeze to death in winter time with inadequate sheltering, and don't secure their fences which results in roadkill for unsuspecting motorists, and we also have the murderous arson attacks to claim the insurance.

e.g.

pigfarm.png

The sound of them squealing must give the fire fighters nightmares.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

I hope it includes the protection of livestock animals (cows, pigs, sheep, caged chickens etc).  Don't know what conditions are like in America, but in the UK I've seen far too many farmers escape prosecution.  When market prices are too low they kill their own livestock to reduce their numbers and increase prices.  They intentionally let them freeze to death in winter time with inadequate sheltering, and don't secure their fences which results in roadkill for unsuspecting motorists, and we also have the murderous arson attacks to claim the insurance.

e.g.

pigfarm.png

The factory farm is nothing but an animal prison, they live in hell because of people's ignorant decisions.

Edited by crookedspiral
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

e.g.

pigfarm.png

We just had a huge fire like this by where I live a little over a month ago. About 4,000 pigs were killed. State Police said criminal involvement is not suspected but the cause of the fire remains undetermined and under investigation. 

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-nws-lynn-township-hog-farm-fire-investigation-20190924-i6fly5ucsngcfgepx7g76oje2e-story.html

• Sad 3

unfortunately the bill is next to worthless. 

The new Act defines the term “animal crushing” as when “one or more living non-human mammals, birds, reptiles, or amphibians is purposely crushed, burned, drowned, suffocated, impaled, or otherwise subjected to serious bodily injury.” There will be several exceptions including normal veterinary/agricultural practices, slaughtering for food, animal sports activities, protection of human life, or medical/scientific research. Penalties for violations will be fines and/or imprisonment, not to exclude 7 years. This Act is currently pending a vote by the House before it can hit the President’s desk.

it wont affect some a hole who tied up his dog in a winter for days, or in hot sun, with no water, or food, again for days or weeks,  cuz it is not intentional  serious bodily injury.  and those who are cruel to their livestock, are exempt from the law.  

Edited by aztek

12 hours ago, crookedspiral said:

The factory farm is nothing but an animal prison, they live in hell because of people's ignorant decisions.

I'm not ignorant. I know full well where my food comes from but I still eat hot dogs. I must have come to terms with it because it doesn't bother me as much as it does when I'm watching PETA videos.

Is there anything in the bill addressing product testing on animals?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

I'm not ignorant. I know full well where my food comes from but I still eat hot dogs. I must have come to terms with it because it doesn't bother me as much as it does when I'm watching PETA videos.

In this age of information, willful ingorance and mental impotence lead to apathy and indifference.

Edited by crookedspiral
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

In this age of information, willful ingorance and mental impotence lead to apathy and indifference.

in this age of information, and anonymous  internet,  virtue signaling spreads like a bad infection as well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

Is there anything in the bill addressing product testing on animals?

nothing really, medical/scientific  research is exempt from this law

20 minutes ago, crookedspiral said:

You call it "willful ignorance", I look at it as "picking your battles". We are in the middle of unraveling an international deep state pedophile ring while people are on the verge of civil war on multiple fronts. If you want to get out there and picket factory farms, by all means have at it.

If I could flip a switch and end all animal suffering forever, I would. But just like I can't lay awake thinking about every starving child in Africa, I can't spend all my time torn up over the ground beef I bought to feed my family. 

Sorry.

• Like 2

Just now, aztek said:

nothing really, medical/scientific  research is exempt from this law

Of course it is...

21 hours ago, and then said:

A wonderful and encouraging step forward.  I hope we make the same strides where human offspring are concerned, someday.

It's already illegal to be cruel to human offspring.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

You call it "willful ignorance", I look at it as "picking your battles". We are in the middle of unraveling an international deep state pedophile ring while people are on the verge of civil war on multiple fronts. If you want to get out there and picket factory farms, by all means have at it.

If I could flip a switch and end all animal suffering forever, I would. But just like I can't lay awake thinking about every starving child in Africa, I can't spend all my time torn up over the ground beef I bought to feed my family. 

Sorry.

How can you expect people to treat human beings the right way if they haven't learn how to treat animals decently? To evolve is the mission, to solve the world's problems human beings gotta stop doing things that cause them. We can't claim that we are intelligent until we find a way to live in harmony with everything upon the planet. 

Edited by crookedspiral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, crookedspiral said:

How can you expect people to treat human beings the right way if they haven't learn how to treat animals decently? To evolve is the mission, to solve the world's problems human beings gotta stop doing things that cause them. We can't claim that we are intelligent until we find a way to live in harmony with everything upon the planet. 

Go tell that to the lions at the Zoo. Also why not teach Animals to stop being cruel to other Animals or stopping Animals from eating other Animals? 

8 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Go tell that to the lions at the Zoo. Also why not teach Animals to stop being cruel to other Animals or stopping Animals from eating other Animals? 

Human beings, unlike other animals, are able to reflect on and make judgments about our own and others' actions, and as a result, we are able to make considered moral choices.

• Like 1