Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Jesus pray, “Father, forgive them”?

ellapenella

I have so many thoughts about this...If these were not the last words spoken on earth by Jesus who added them and why?

The double brackets enclose all of Jesus’ prayer and indicate that the prayer is a later addition to the text that is not from the pen of Luke. The editors of the UBS text give the omission a grade of “A”—which means that they think that it is absolutely certain that these words did not come from Luke. Some other scribe added them later. Here’s how the evidence shakes out in the apparatus:

https://www.dennyburk.com/did-jesus-pray-“father-forgive-them”/

[[But Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.]]

https://wheatandtares.org/2019/01/08/father-forgive-them-not-in-original-bible/

• Like 1

At least Jesus wants to forgive them. whether in text or not.

He is true savior 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Great Old Man said:

At least Jesus wants to forgive them. whether in text or not.

Well...that statement about Jesus wanting to forgive them may not be completely accurate  ... do you think Jesus wants to forgive the unforgivable? 

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+37%3A1-4&version=KJV

He is true savior 

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/being_saved

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+7%3A21&version=NRSV

What do you suppose that means? the will of my Father in Heaven?

Edited by Ellapennella
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Well...that statement about Jesus wanting to forgive them may not be completely accurate  ... do you think Jesus wants to forgive the unforgivable? 

I don't know Jesus true will because I'm mortally human, but I believe at least Jesus wants to give one more chance to those hopeless people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Great Old Man said:

I don't know Jesus true will because I'm mortally human, but I believe at least Jesus wants to give one more chance to those hopeless people.

Do you remember when Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane asking The Father to take away this cup from him . I think the cup  was symbolic of  God's wrath that he was about to receive...In Christ's moment of passion  an angel was sent to him... He was strengthened, encourage and more than able  to concur death hell and the grave ...he then prayed Father let not my will be done... but let thy will be done...

I often forget that an Angel was sent to him that night in that time ....I think that The will of God is  to bring glory to God  in all that we do here on earth...If people don't see God glorified by our actions and in our lives I think that we're not doing the will of God and therefore are not in The will of God... I don't really think that I  bring glory to God ..I want to but I think the ego  is not focused on all of the time in the moments it should be... I think I understand why you mentioned Buddhist and Christianity before...

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 12:39 PM, ellapenella said:

Do you remember when Jesus prayed in the garden of Gethsemane asking The Father to take away this cup from him .

Do YOU remember this? Were you there? Or do you mean "Do you remember reading that this is what Jesus supposedly said?"

IIRC, Jesus was pished because all his disciples fell asleep while he was praying. Sooooooo, who wrote this down if everyone else was asleep?

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Sooooooo, who wrote this down if everyone else was asleep?

The Spirit of Truth. Who else?

Spoiler

Don't tell me you haven't met him. :tu:

Edited by Will Due

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

The Spirit of Truth. Who else.

And he had paper and ink, I suppose?

• Like 3

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

And he had paper and ink, I suppose?

Everything. He's got everything true. :clap:

How comforting blind faith must be.

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How comforting blind faith must be.

No. Blindness is definitely not comforting. 

But faith in seeing what's true is sublime.

How's it going Jodie? I'm glad no one from the other day has stopped you. :)

16 minutes ago, Will Due said:

How's it going Jodie? I'm glad no one from the other day has stopped you. :)

It goes, thanks. A little bit wiser from the encounter. And a lot more wary.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does God really need coaching by anyone, including JC ?

8 minutes ago, Habitat said:

JC is God.

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

JC is God.

I doubt he would have agreed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Habitat said:

If God can do anything, he can certainly be coached.

16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Right. OK :huh:

• Haha 1

Or at least the Jesus in the Gospel According to Luke did.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Aside your thoughts, right now, God is coaching you

15 hours ago, Will Due said:

JC is God.

A ridiculous, utterly blasphemous notion.

Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

A lot of things may be stated about the Adversary, but being so dim as to offer the world to Almighty G*d, if only He would worship (!!) him (Satan), is certainly not one of them.

You are a follower of 21st century Paulinism, which is decidedly not thesame as the teachings of Christ; Messiah of G*d.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, ellapenella said:

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+37%3A1-4&version=KJV

There is no eternal suffering, sooner or later everyone will gain divine consciousness.
  It’s just that time flows differently in hell, therefore they don’t feel the way of time like us, therefore it seems to them that they are doomed to eternal torment but this is all a figurative description. In the next cycle of the new humanity, the worlds of hell will be transformed into light levels and the worlds of hell will cease to exist.

• Haha 1

nevermind....I forgot I'm not really commenting anymore in this section.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2019 at 4:20 AM, Will Due said:

JC is God.

So JC is responsible for the mass murder of millions of people? Wow what a saviour.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:09 AM, ellapenella said:

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing

He's repeating Isaiah 6:9 but in a much more passionate way.

Isaiah 6:9 (NIV2011)
He said, Go and tell this people: Be ever hearing, but never understanding; be ever seeing, but never perceiving.

Humans can't even tell that why a God has to be assumed to begin with.

We humans can't possibly tell a future. Even science won't help (from ancient time till now and foreseeable future) in answering what could possibly lying beyond our physical death. The only way for humans to possibly reach such a future is by means of a God who knows. If such a God exists then the only way left for humans to possibly know a future is through this God. That's why a God has to be assumed, or else you have to assume (I say it's just another convenient assumption) that life doesn't continue, which you can't tell for sure, thus you can give up preparing for such a future (when preparing for future is a human nature).

A God needs to be assumed, if you don't want to assume that you won't have a future. A God needs to be assumed unless you want to cut off all the possibilities of reaching a future concerning your own life.

Only after this it goes to the point that whether such a God exists, or which is the true God. Humans have a reason to assume a God then seek for Him, rather than getting themselves unprepared by another more convenient assumption.

That's the basic notion of what Christ said on the cross as He knows the truth while He knows that humans somehow are prone to choose the more convenient assumption. Of course, this is just the tip of an iceberg of the many similar assumptions made by humans. In a nutshell, they don't know what they are doing!

Edited by Hawkins
  • Confused 1