Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cellphone users hit by wave of mystery texts

UM-Bot

Hmmm, I have At&T.  Did not have this issue.  I wonder if it was all the T-Mobile & Sprint users?  I don't think any Verizon users in my area got this either.

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Hmmm, I have At&T.  Did not have this issue.  I wonder if it was all the T-Mobile & Sprint users?  I don't think any Verizon users in my area got this either.

But only affected androids not iPhones.

• Like 2

Just now, OverSword said:

But only affected androids not iPhones.

Oh, ok.  I have an iPhone as do most people in my family. 

8 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I have T Mobile and an android. I didn't get any texts.

So it must have been network specific, not phone specific.  I can't see any company (At&T, TMobile, Sprint, Veriozon) having the androids on a different network than any other phone.  Maybe the tracking software network system built in to the androids malfunctioned.   :P

I use AT&T along with Android and didn't get any strange texts.

• Like 1

The texts appear to have been originally sent sometime around Valentine's Day 2019. They crossed both iphone and androids and most major carriers. A company has taken responsibility for the delay. A server failed and wasn't brought back online until November 7th. When that happened, all the trapped texts were sent.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/7/20953422/text-messages-delayed-received-overnight-valentines-day-delay

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

I have T Mobile and an android. I didn't get any texts.

My friends wife got one from my friend.  In the morning she looked at her phone and said why were you texting me at midnight?  He said what are you talking about I was in bed sleeping right next to you.  :D

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, OverSword said:

My friends wife got one from my friend.  In the morning she looked at her phone and said why were you texting me at midnight?  He said what are you talking about I was in bed sleeping right next to you.  :D

I read this wrong somehow...it sounded really bad because I read the first sentence as "My wife got one from my friend..." and the rest just the same as printed lol

• Haha 1

I have Sprint but didnt see anything. :(

I can imagine though getting a text months out of context and it causing a good bit of confusion.

Interesting that the texts were saved by the network services for that long.

• Like 1

No one quite realizes how easily they're manipulated by big tech; especially those that are desperate for recognition but too sheepish to be known.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I have Sprint but didnt see anything. :(

I can imagine though getting a text months out of context and it causing a good bit of confusion.

Interesting that the texts were saved by the network services for that long.

I don't understand why it took so many months to replace the server.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This was due to a proxy service they were using, the servers had a backlog of failed texts and eventually let them all go. It was fixed.