Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man killed by falling into Hawaii lava tube

Eldorado

"The man had not been seen for several days when he was found in the tube more than 20 feet under the surface. The authorities believe he was clipping bushes in his yard when he fell in."

Full report at the paywalled NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/hawaii-lava-tube.html

"Hawaii Fire Department Rescue personnel rappelled into the lava tube to recover the body of the victim, which was about 22 feet below the surface.

"According to the National Park Service, lava tubes form from lava that flowed for many hours, solidifying on the top and sides of a stream but remaining liquid in the interior for a much longer period of time. After the lava flow stops, a lava tube cave remains, which can be large enough for people to walk through."

Report at CBS (edited by me, a postal worker, to correct the journalist's poor spelling: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elderly-man-dies-after-falling-in-lava-tube-hawaii-2019-11-06/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 6

Oh my!  How sad.

• Like 3

:o

• Like 1

:wacko:        :(

• Like 1

Though it has been decades since I lived in Kaumana where this occurred, I recall Kaumana Caves park as having an entrance that was a collapsed tube and having lava tubes that where thought to travel over twenty miles. The absolute darkest place I've ever been is in a lava tube. I do hope his demise was not protracted.

• Like 2