Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

Millions of scavenging seabirds survive on fish discarded by North Sea fishing vessels, new research shows.

"Commercial fishing has a variety of effects on marine life, but the impact of discards is one of the least studied and least understood," said lead author Dr. Richard Sherley, of the Environment and Sustainability Institute on Exeter's Penryn Campus in Cornwall.

"Our study highlights the sheer number of scavenging birds potentially supported by discards and thus the importance of understanding the wider ecological consequences of dumping fisheries waste.

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-millions-seabirds-discarded-fish.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

:o       :(       :cry:       :no:

Sounds like they don't search for food anymore. They know where to find a lot of it without any effort on their part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, susieice said:

Sounds like they don't search for food anymore. They know where to find a lot of it without any effort on their part.

Since we're draining the oceans of fishstocks, we might need to look at eating seabirds next.  :P   I am of course, kidding. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Since we're draining the oceans of fishstocks, we might need to look at eating seabirds next.  :P   I am of course, kidding. 

Dangit, I was so looking forward to some Long John silvers deep fried pelicans.... 

~

• Haha 1

The fish catch has been in decline for twenty years, despite fishing effort increasing. Tells the story.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

My dad and all his brothers  ate a heron once when they all lived at home in the 1930s he said it was the textue of liver smelt like roast chicken  and tasted like mackerel.....mmmm 

Edited by Matt221
c*** up
  • Haha 2