Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will cloud gaming kill the games console?

Eldorado

"It connects directly via wifi to the game you're playing, rather than being plugged into a device in your home that then sends the controller data over the internet.

"But the key element with all these services is that fundamental shift away from running games on hardware in your home, to running them on a beefed-up server somewhere else instead.

"By offering this flexible, play-anywhere option, some think it could mean the death of the home video games console."

Full article at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50166248

At Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_gaming

• Like 3

Yeah they've been planning this for decades.  the xbox one was going to be cloud based but people don't like the idea of not owning a game they just bought for $50.  When it's all cloud based I'm done.

• Like 2

Game consoles will never die out. If I want to play a game I just want to turn on my t.v and console and play, not log onto something which means having to have a special account and stuff.

Nope..I just wanna play whenever I want to..

• Like 3

I feel like this is like the concept of when every felt 3D TV's would be the future. We got the tech but it turns out people just don't like it in their homes lol.

I see the same with games. Xbox and PlayStation both have been trying to get streaming games to catch on, each with their own service for it.

It hasn't really caught on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I feel like this is like the concept of when every felt 3D TV's would be the future. We got the tech but it turns out people just don't like it in their homes lol.

I see the same with games. Xbox and PlayStation both have been trying to get streaming games to catch on, each with their own service for it.

The only thing I use apart from my ps4, xbox, nintendo switch is my gaming pc and I run Steam on there.  I don't usually buy games physically.  I'm not interested in having more plastic game covers with pictures on them around.  I'd rather just buy online and have the code.  I'm really in two minds about this as I think about it more. Hmm. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

It's only not caught on because the tech hasn't quite caught up to the idea yet. PS Now is a actually a really great service, but, unless it's a PS4 game that you can download to the PS4 hard-drive, it's only 720p quality. I think by the time the PS6 is ready to go, most people will be familiar with streaming. If Google, which is ready to stream 4k games this month, is successful then we might even see PS4 and MS invest more heavily during this coming cycle.

I'll definitely be trying Stadia, for sure. 

I prefer to own something physical.  It gives the experience more privacy.  I don't want my saved game progress to be floating around the internet with any number of hacks and data breaches taking place, not to mention downed networks, online lag, and limited online storage, plus the additional online costs that will undoubtedly be added to secure my own online progress.  The only thing that would remain private would be the hand controller.  Part of the joy in gaming is knowing that I can trade in my games for store credit, share them with friends, or buy them cheap on ebay and second-hand game stores.  I have purchased several games on the Playstation Network and on Steam, but the experience of just downloading a game and not physically owning any of it just doesn't feel satisfying, especially as many of us were brought up during the Windows 95 era (big cardboard boxes with huge manuals and 6+ discs).  Those were the days when you got your money's worth, and the physical presentation of the game was just as important as the game itself.  They really took pride in their work back then.

Edited by Aaron2016

I mean physical PC gaming is dead, since Steam pretty much dominates the market there. The last time I bought a PC game at a store, all I got out of it was a DVD case, A DVD...and a Steam code so I could download my game there...makes me really wonder what the DVD was for in that case...
So pretty much all the games on my comp[uter run either over Steam or are from GoG. So the non-physical medium is already the norm there. The danger now is the idea some punlishers and platforms l play with of creating a subscription based model like TV/Movie streaming services. Meaning you'd pay a subscription so that you can play your offline, single player games. That would suck balls the size of Jupiter. I'm not paying some silly subscription that includes a ton of racing games and ego-shooters I have no interest in, just so I can play the thing I'm interested in...

31 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

especially as many of us were brought up during the Windows 95 era (big cardboard boxes with huge manuals and 6+ discs).  Those were the days when you got your money's worth, and the physical presentation of the game was just as important as the game itself.  They really took pride in their work back then.

I got into Abandonware gaming a few years back and I learned some examples from the early years of gaming (like late 80s/early 90s) where some companies packaged the games with posters and additional background material. And I can still remember older game manuals being partly written in-universe, with mini-comics and stories and stuff like that. That was cool.
But consider that many games on Steam have something similar with providing art books or even novellas set in the game's universe as additional content.  

Edited by Orphalesion