Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inmate claims life sentence overrun by 4 yrs

Still Waters

A man convicted of murder was rushed from the Iowa State Penitentiary to a hospital in 2015 where his heart was restarted five times.

He claims his life sentence was fulfilled by his short-lived death, and he has overstayed his prison time by four years. 

Benjamin Schreiber, found guilty of first-degree murder in 1997 and sentenced to life behind bars without the possibility of parole, was hospitalized in March 2015 after large kidney stones caused him to develop septic poisoning, according to court records.

By the time he arrived at the hospital, he was unconscious, records show. 

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/07/iowan-murderer-says-life-sentence-fulfilled-his-short-lived-death/2520213001/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nice try, but if he truly died he would be dead. Since he is still alive, prison it is. I agree with the judge's ruling. I don't, however, agree that they had the right to violate his wish not to be resuscitated, yet at the same time, I understand why doctors do their utmost to keep a person alive.

• Like 5

I"died" twice during a heart op of course I didn't really die I am here ..... or am I ? Lol

• Like 5

Next thing you know, people with life insurances will start doing funny stuff to induce clinical death with someone ready to resuscitate them, then claim the life insurance. Wonder how many times a day some people would be happy to do this if it paid.

Imagine how excited this guy was when he first had this epiphany lol

Good intent and good deeds contribute to good karma and happier rebirths, while bad intent and bad deeds contribute to bad karma and bad rebirths. That we don't forget, the karma does indeed come around.

Edited by highdesert50

In a way his claim makes sense.  The interpretation of the law often hinges on the most arcane definitions of words.  "It depends on what the definition of is is".  It's the law's fault if they did not anticipate this type of situation occurring.  Does the benefit of the doubt end at the conclusion of the original trial? I believe in the days of hangings if a man survived the hanging the sentence was deemed to have been carried out.  It's different than the life insurance scam proposed above since the man had no intention to defraud.  

Edited by Big Jim
to say it better.