Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Absolute panic" amid Australia bushfires

Eldorado

24 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

It's not all about the fire either. Some helpful info on the effects of bush fire smoke.

link

That means that the actual death toll from the fires will likely never be known. Just like the many, many, heart attacks suffered after the Christchurch earthquake

And the smoke is the worst I have seen. In nearly 30 years, I have only seen it cross the ditch twice, but it looks set to do it again. second wave of smoke set to hit New Zealand

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kismit said:

That means that the actual death toll from the fires will likely never be known. Just like the many, many, heart attacks suffered after the Christchurch earthquake

And the smoke is the worst I have seen. In nearly 30 years, I have only seen it cross the ditch twice, but it looks set to do it again. second wave of smoke set to hit New Zealand

Really? :blink:  Then again, I remember volcano ash from the eruption near Bali years ago reached Darwin so I suppose when there is strong smoke intensity the plumes can travel long distances.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Black Red Devil said:

Really? :blink:  Then again, I remember volcano ash from the eruption near Bali years ago reached Darwin so I suppose when there is strong smoke intensity the plumes can travel long distances.

When there are wildfires in Arizona we often get the smoke in central New Mexico, hundreds of miles away when the fires burn for weeks.  And when Mount St. Helen's blew up in the early 80's (was it 1980?) a week later we all had stuffed noses from the ash and central New Meixco is a long way from Mt. St. Helens.  Anything that gets in the air above a certain altitude is going to travel quite far.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

It's not all about the fire either. Some helpful info on the effects of bush fire smoke.

link

We were on “semi-lock down” yesterday because of the smoke (and dust! We’re set to cop a wave of dust from Big Red this week as well), basically “allow the kids to stay inside if they want, no running around and no oval play”. So much fun to be had in non-air conditioned classrooms with dodgy fans.

• Like 5

Update:

"Major bushfires are still raging in Queensland and NSW, with some residents being forced to leave their homes. But the worst could be yet to come as ferocious conditions are set to hit soon."

At News dot com Australia: https://www.news.com.au/national/horror-bushfire-conditions-set-to-cause-chaos-in-nsw-and-queensland/live-coverage/522e6db3627f7e96ffc4a4d1fc4eacf0

Bushfires an Act of God, opines rugby union hero.

Sydney Morning Herald: https://www.smh.com.au/national/israel-folau-links-bushfire-crisis-to-same-sex-marriage-and-abortion-20191117-p53bf4.html

"Look how rapid, these bushfires, these droughts, all these things have come, in a short period of time.

"You think it's a coincidence or not? God is speaking to you guys, Australia, you need to repent.

"What you see right now in the world is only a little taste of God's judgment that's coming, it's not even a big thing."

On 11/12/2019 at 7:27 AM, Black Red Devil said:

Prediction of 37 degrees today and we're still in Spring with no rain is sight for weeks  I fear this is only the start of a long, burning, torturous summer.

Its not just the lack of rain but very little back burning during the cooler months. 

Sydney blanketed by bushfire smoke amid soaring temperatures and high-risk conditions.

Some thoroughly depressing related news..... (sorry)

"More than half of the 18 people who have been dealt with by police over recent Queensland bushfires are children, police have revealed.

"Since a state of emergency was declared in Queensland on November 9, police said they had taken action against 18 people for deliberately lighting fires.

"Of that, police said, 10 are juveniles who are being dealt with under the Youth Justice Act."

From ABC via MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ten-children-allegedly-started-recent-queensland-bushfires-police-say/ar-BBWXYrV

"In the two years to the end of 2018, 136 children were charged with endangering property in Queensland by lighting fires — just 18 were convicted."

At ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-19/queensland-bushfires-ten-children-allegedly-start-fires/11717444

Nov 19, 2019 Strong winds stoked more than 100 fires across Australia's east coast on Tuesday, blanketing Sydney in hazardous smoke and prompting health warnings for the country's most populous city.

http://www.worldpronews.com/4884/1162/290/5f5971527f42380e925f0e99d7c9dfd57be47abb

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I was chatting to some friends in Ballarat; and, things sound a bit ominous...

Code Red fire warning for Victoria

r0_3_477_271_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Mr Crisp said a Code Red day was determined because a combination of high temperatures overnight, little relief followed up with predicted high temperatures and high wind speeds on Thursday.

... the state had not experienced a Code Red day under the current framework, and it needed to be taken seriously.

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/6503096/first-code-red-fire-warning-issued-since-2010/

Ballarat Forecast

Mostly sunny morning. Slight (20%) chance of a shower or thunderstorm this afternoon and early evening with little or no rainfall and gusty winds. Winds northerly 30 to 45 km/h shifting south to southwesterly 25 to 40 km/h in the early afternoon.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/ballarat.shtml

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 5:48 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Where's @tmcom on this thread? 

I was elsewhere getting punished for slaying the meek.

But yeah, the Greens and labor, that runs NSW, VIC, and Queesland, have built up as much dead tree's and branches as humanly possible, under protecting native wildlife or a computer model that experts say is crap, is what is making this season far worse.

Then these very same morons, blame Climate Change, or worse, blame our prime minister, for creating the fires, since they are burning coal, (l know f...ing insane).

An activist walking our streets in protest of burning coal, while holding a smart phone, is a hypocrite or just plain dumb?

Maybe both.

:gun:

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:45 AM, tmcom said:

I was elsewhere getting punished for slaying the meek.

But yeah, the Greens and labor, that runs NSW, VIC, and Queesland, have built up as much dead tree's and branches as humanly possible, under protecting native wildlife or a computer model that experts say is crap, is what is making this season far worse.

Then these very same morons, blame Climate Change, or worse, blame our prime minister, for creating the fires, since they are burning coal, (l know f...ing insane).

An activist walking our streets in protest of burning coal, while holding a smart phone, is a hypocrite or just plain dumb?

Maybe both.

:gun:

thankfully we still have controlled burns here.. though unfortuantely the weather has been slightly weird.. a lot of small showers through spring.. which promoted the under growth.. then a lot of a nice hot weather.. that has dried it out again.. so we know it will be a bad fire season here 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Update....

"Australia bushfires north of Sydney 'too big to put out'"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50690633

Yes, my point, the greens don't think they allow dead logs to build up, fine farmers who try to clear it away, and when a fire starts, then the so called protected species in the logs goes up in flames, then they start preaching the usual instead of accepting responsibility, and nothing changes. About the only thing VIC, has going for it is a virtually non - existent summer.

2 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

thankfully we still have controlled burns here.. though unfortuantely the weather has been slightly weird.. a lot of small showers through spring.. which promoted the under growth.. then a lot of a nice hot weather.. that has dried it out again.. so we know it will be a bad fire season here 

You must live in SA, then? Vic,s dimwit is relying on computer models that experts in fire management laugh at, so we are all set for another horrific Black Saturday again. Then our ...head, will probably blame the climate, the faithful will kiss his feet, and the rest will shake our heads that we keep voting this in.

:unsure2:

3 minutes ago, tmcom said:

You must live in SA, then? Vic,s dimwit is relying on computer models that experts in fire management laugh at, so we are all set for another horrific Black Saturday again. Then our ...head, will probably blame the climate, the faithful will kiss his feet, and the rest will shake our heads that we keep voting this in.

:unsure2:

Nah west coast mate :)

dfas is currently prepping big time over here for our fire season to start.. they were even doing late season controlled burns around the vulnerable areas.. after Waroona and Yarloop got hit in 2016 they started taking controlled burns very seriously.. 

• Like 1

I see everyone from Beetroot Barnaby down blaming the Greens. Really though? What influence does the Greens have? I mean, I’m a freaking Greens voter and we have all the influence of Wesley Crusher. 

I’d blame whichever party cuts services such as those responsible for fire reduction.

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:35 AM, Eldorado said:

Some thoroughly depressing related news..... (sorry)

"More than half of the 18 people who have been dealt with by police over recent Queensland bushfires are children, police have revealed.

"Since a state of emergency was declared in Queensland on November 9, police said they had taken action against 18 people for deliberately lighting fires.

"Of that, police said, 10 are juveniles who are being dealt with under the Youth Justice Act."

From ABC via MSN: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ten-children-allegedly-started-recent-queensland-bushfires-police-say/ar-BBWXYrV

"In the two years to the end of 2018, 136 children were charged with endangering property in Queensland by lighting fires — just 18 were convicted."

At ABC: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-19/queensland-bushfires-ten-children-allegedly-start-fires/11717444

Yes, read yesterday that our dimwit has lifted his stupid rating some more, and apart from Melbourne council being the first in the world to disclare a climate emergency, they are also pushing for Eco Warriors, (their words) to teach climate emergency in childcare centres.

Image that, a room of 3 year olds, and someone with a green T - shirt walks in, with an attractive 15 year old, sidekick, and they show a film about the impending disaster, (well an animation with polar bears, but still).

Maybe they should also show nuclear war, make a good double feature?

:rolleyes:

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Yes, read yesterday that our dimwit has lifted his stupid rating some more, and apart from Melbourne council being the first in the world to disclare a climate emergency, they are also pushing for Eco Warriors, (their words) to teach climate emergency in childcare centres.

Image that, a room of 3 year olds, and someone with a green T - shirt walks in, with an attractive 15 year old, sidekick, and they show a film about the impending disaster, (well an animation with polar bears, but still).

Maybe they should also show nuclear war, make a good double feature?

:rolleyes:

I worked five years in Australian child care centres and it was hard enough trying to teach them that the sandpit was not an appropriate place to drop one's dacks and drop a log.

• Haha 2

Update:

"Smoke alarms are going off in Sydney office buildings and train stations as the air quality reaches record hazardous levels. 

"The city and surrounding suburbs are shrouded in the thick smoke haze from dozens of bushfires burning across NSW. 

"That's pushed air quality ratings beyond 2200 in Sydney's east and north-west - 11 times the hazardous level. "

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sydney-workers-evacuated-as-smoke-triggers-alarms-at-offices-train-stations