Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Absolute panic" amid Australia bushfires

Eldorado

On 1/1/2020 at 4:51 AM, Farmer77 said:

Damn I really thought Australia was hotter than that.

Imagine if the whole of the US was over 104 for weeks at a time.  We would have people dying left and right.  I'm actually pretty impressed with the typical Australian's fortitude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Have you read any of his other posts?  If so, you know the answers to your questions.  :lol:

Yes, my questions are rhetorical.  The answers are obviously no, no and no.

Last, Australian, summer (the cricket season). Cricket commentators where talking about a player's (Sean Marsh) batting average.  They kept pointing out that if they removed the player's low scores his average would be higher.  A conversation with tmcon is just as idiotic.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tmcom said:

March 1878, was the hottest month cited by several newspaper articles from half a dozen countries worldwide. NASA shows a chart showing a 3mm ocean level rise yearly since 1880, eventhough no museum image from that century ever shows a rise when compared to a present day image!

:rolleyes:

So because March 1878 was really hot, it negates the fact we’ve broken records set the week before in places, it’s been hot as **** since September and the place as been on fire for as long?

Is it nice and cool under your rock? 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Our news is reporting that half a billion of Australia's animals are believed to have perished in the wildfires. This is just so completely heartbreaking. It makes me cry. All those beautiful animals. It will be decades for them to make a comeback. 

https://www.fox29.com/news/nearly-half-a-billion-animals-feared-dead-in-australia-wildfires-ecologists-say?fbclid=IwAR3cpYFHuS2o6h_yttm9AxWwEh-8ZYMnVmy3l0hbq23Fw21wRwN9SvwuYXY

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Essan said:

How many were in the northern hemisphere?

And are you sure they said it was it was even hotter than any month in the 20th or 21st centuries?  ;) 

I would suggest watching the video and going to the links for the newspaper articles.

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Do you know why people take photos?

Have you heard of tides?

Do you know how to calculate a mean?

Yes, they take photos from the 1800's so they end up in Museums and get digitized so we can find them on Google images, and compare them to present day, so we can then find two images at LOW TIDE and see no ....ing difference!

4 hours ago, Gromdor said:

Imagine if the whole of the US was over 104 for weeks at a time.  We would have people dying left and right.  I'm actually pretty impressed with the typical Australian's fortitude.

From newspaper clippings, people were running about with axes, and dropping like flies after a few weeks of that, with no air con, only naturally cool areas in homesteads, were the only means of escape.

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

Yes, my questions are rhetorical.  The answers are obviously no, no and no.

Last, Australian, summer (the cricket season). Cricket commentators where talking about a player's (Sean Marsh) batting average.  They kept pointing out that if they removed the player's low scores his average would be higher.  A conversation with tmcon is just as idiotic.

Oh yes, to something like you it would seem that way, NASA is right, NOAA is right, National Geog, is right, Justin Beiber is right, Googles, virtually 100% biased towards the faithful is right, and magically somehow an 1859 image and a 2006 one are somehow wrong?

The only thing that is idiotic is the fact that the brainwashed, indoctrinated lefties cannot see what is smack in front of their eyes!

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So because March 1878 was really hot, it negates the fact we’ve broken records set the week before in places, it’s been hot as **** since September and the place as been on fire for as long?

Is it nice and cool under your rock? 

A rock is better than a cave!

And in Vic, Au, our summer has been stalled, or suppressed up to recently, now we are seeing some days that equate to a normal summer here.

B)

Caves are cool, once you get used to the guano abd reslly, you can sell that stuff!

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, tmcom said:

Oh yes, to something like you it would seem that way, NASA is right, NOAA is right, National Geog, is right, Justin Beiber is right, Googles, virtually 100% biased towards the faithful is right, and magically somehow an 1859 image and a 2006 one are somehow wrong?

The only thing that is idiotic is the fact that the brainwashed, indoctrinated lefties cannot see what is smack in front of their eyes!

And some innumerate by the name of tmcom with unsourced pics is supposed to raise the apprehension that there's two sides to the story?

All you have to do is provide the dataset.  Or perhaps show the responses you received after complaining to the conservative ministers.

B)B)

Edited by Golden Duck

1 hour ago, tmcom said:

Yes, they take photos from the 1800's so they end up in Museums and get digitized so we can find them on Google images, and compare them to present day, so we can then find two images at LOW TIDE and see no ....ing difference!

Got proof of that?

• Haha 1

Disturbing reports emerging that people are being refused insurance renewal in fire-affected areas, despite being long time policy holders of decades standing. That stinks. I can well understand people being refused new insurance policies, but not this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Disturbing reports emerging that people are being refused insurance renewal in fire-affected areas, despite being long time policy holders of decades standing. That stinks. I can well understand people being refused new insurance policies, but not this.

Of course they are, insurance industry is full of Ferengi. Bet you any amount of money ScuMo will be asked if there’ll be a Royal Commssion and he’ll vassalate and then change the subject (probably to blaming Labor). 

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Of course they are, insurance industry is full of Ferengi. Bet you any amount of money ScuMo will be asked if there’ll be a Royal Commssion and he’ll vassalate and then change the subject (probably to blaming Labor). 

Didn't they just have one?

3 hours ago, Habitat said:

Bound to happen, but thankfully the military are getting involved and evacuating a few thousand from Vic, coastline.

Vic stands at about 382,000ha, burnt which is short of Black Saturdays, 450,000ha, but thankfully Scomo, is taking, action on fuel loads in our natural parks, and other dimwitted ideas.

One women l read today, actually said after her house burnt down, (Greta and Atenborough on standby) that climate change was responsible. I guess she proved us wrong!

B)

For the record, here in England, March 1878 was 1.3c colder than March 1874.  March 1868, 71, 72 were also much warmer.    It was also 0.2c colder than February 1878 ....

And it was 2.4c colder than March 2019.

So, no.  It was the not warmest month ever :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Essan said:

For the record, here in England, March 1878 was 1.3c colder than March 1874.  March 1868, 71, 72 were also much warmer.    It was also 0.2c colder than February 1878 ....

And it was 2.4c colder than March 2019.

So, no.  It was the not warmest month ever :P 

irYbz15.jpg

evefDAE.jpg

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=england+1878+march+heatwave+newspspera&sxsrf=ACYBGNS51YSJJD5Fg_-u8Wr_QAqywSTxUw:1578065465067&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=42jZm2LPhsff-M%3A%2CNdLYnIswnCX7WM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQq8qydld3z3RzdrKcfmaOANur1Yw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiC4Oj73-fmAhVu7XMBHbZBD5AQ9QEwC3oECAcQBg#imgrc=n0x4xgwkT2GlzM:&vet=1

Ok! ^_^

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, susieice said:

Our news is reporting that half a billion of Australia's animals are believed to have perished in the wildfires. This is just so completely heartbreaking. It makes me cry. All those beautiful animals. It will be decades for them to make a comeback. 

https://www.fox29.com/news/nearly-half-a-billion-animals-feared-dead-in-australia-wildfires-ecologists-say?fbclid=IwAR3cpYFHuS2o6h_yttm9AxWwEh-8ZYMnVmy3l0hbq23Fw21wRwN9SvwuYXY

I've caught some on the news of this as well. All those animals dead, along with humans dead and burnt out... these fires are indeed a terrible tragedy.

• Like 2

I keep a really close eye on the CFA Victoria incident map, which keeps up a live feed of where and how bad the fires are. 
They are everywhere, I have never seen anything like this before.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kismit said:

I keep a really close eye on the CFA Victoria incident map, which keeps up a live feed of where and how bad the fires are. 
They are everywhere, I have never seen anything like this before.

I didn't know such a thing existed till I read that.. then I felt kind of foolish, because of course there would be mapping like that. Honestly a bit nicer and easier of a map than what I pick up when checking in on some wildfire action in the U.S. sometimes. And makes it much more stark how much fire is going on.

• Like 1

My friend in Adelaide posted a lot of pictures today on Facebook. She's starting to talk about the fires now that are close to some of her family. Especially Kangaroo Island. The fire there was considered mostly uncontrollable but I just Googled and the news is that it's cooled there and rained today. There is a lot of loss of property but no injuries as people were evacuated to the only two areas deemed safe. Authorities are waiting until light to go access the damage but they think the fires are not intensifying as it was previously thought they would. Any news like this is good news.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-04/change-brings-relief-to-fire-ravaged-kangaroo-island/11840422

"Once we saw those conditions ease around midnight–1am we saw the southerly impact start to slow down and with that the relative humidity came up to around 85 per cent across the island so that did significantly help with the decreasing the fire behaviour," he said.

He said the rain had "greatly assisted" in dampening the fire's ferocity.

"Crews are able to get a bit closer and deal with the active fire edges rather than having to go into asset protection mode so hopefully that moderation in fire behaviour allows them to get some good work done today," he said.

He said 350 personnel were fighting the fires overnight, including those from the State Emergency Service, the Metropolitan Fire Service and the Department for Environment and Water.

This will increase to 500 during the day today, with many coming from the mainland.

The Environment Protection Authority has rated western Adelaide's air quality as poor and fair in eastern, southern and northern Adelaide, as smoke drifts from Kangaroo Island across the city and areas to the north.

• Like 2

The Kangaroo Island fire is obviously being treated as a priority matter, I noticed the 737 water-bomber with the red fire retardant in action yesterday, given that there would be any number of other likely places closer to its base, with a need for it, for some reason it was being diverted to the island fire.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Habitat said:

The Kangaroo Island fire is obviously being treated as a priority matter, I noticed the 737 water-bomber with the red fire retardant in action yesterday, given that there would be any number of other likely places closer to its base, with a need for it, for some reason it was being diverted to the island fire.

Yes. The article I linked mentioned the water-bombers going in. I'm thinking because of the weather change, they may have thought there was a chance of stopping the spread of the flames.

She mentioned that it was nighttime for her and that she had opened her house doors to let the cooler air blow through, but within an hour, her house was filling with smoke. 

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Yes. The article I linked mentioned the water-bombers going in. I'm thinking because of the weather change, they may have thought there was a chance of stopping the spread of the flames.

She mentioned that it was nighttime for her and that she had opened her house doors to let the cooler air blow through, but within an hour, her house was filling with smoke. 

If the estimate of 50% of these fires being deliberately lit is anywhere near accurate, it is a sobering reminder that there are many not fit to walk among us. There is just no way of keeping ahead of these outbreaks with such people on the loose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, rashore said:

I didn't know such a thing existed till I read that.. then I felt kind of foolish, because of course there would be mapping like that. Honestly a bit nicer and easier of a map than what I pick up when checking in on some wildfire action in the U.S. sometimes. And makes it much more stark how much fire is going on.

In a Country designed to burn like Australia is, especially the Gippsland and Peninsula regions of Victoria, the people need up to date fire reports. There is a safety app most people have downloaded to their mobile device too. 
you should introduce something similar to your work, I think it would be super handy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

If the estimate of 50% of these fires being deliberately lit is anywhere near accurate, it is a sobering reminder that there are many not fit to walk among us. There is just no way of keeping ahead of these outbreaks with such people on the loose.

It's just horrifying to think there are people that would do such things in the world. There is something seriously wrong with the way those people are wired. Who would purposely put other humans into such dangerous conditions and through such losses and heartbreak? Not to mention the wildlife who's lives and habitats are being devastated. It's happened here in the US southwest too. There is true evil that walks among us. :cry:

Prime Minister Morrison has received a hostile reception from people living in fire-ravaged areas, my feeling is that people want the cheque book to come up, not sympathetic words. Some would be in a dire situation, if they lost all their belongings. It kinda put me in mind of that Hurricane Katrina mess in New Orleans, with hordes of people seemingly not getting prompt emergency relief. You'd think the politicians would have learnt from that, where Bush was harshly criticized for inaction.

• Like 2

Just now, susieice said:

It's just horrifying to think there are people that would do such things in the world. There is something seriously wrong with the way those people are wired. Who would purposely put other humans into such dangerous conditions and through such losses and heartbreak? Not to mention the wildlife who's lives and habitats are being devastated. It's happened here in the US southwest too. There is true evil that walks among us. :cry:

One might speculate whether that tiny minority of completely anti-social people is not so tiny as it once was. It doesn't take many to create havoc.

• Like 1