Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What plants would look like on other planets

Eldorado

11 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Short intro at Interesting Engineering dot com: https://www.interestingengineering.com/video/this-is-what-plants-would-look-like-on-other-planets

10 mins video at YouTube: (Sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Total speculation from some ones imagination .

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

Total speculation from some ones imagination .

Plants don't exist on other planets.  They can't. So what's the point in speculating?

• Confused 2

Okay...I watched some of the video...not buying much of it.  It is total speculation.

How could anyone possible know what the color was  of the first life forms?  I got bored and left after 5 minutes

Edited by joc
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, joc said:

Plants don't exist on other planets.  They can't. So what's the point in speculating?

I don't think we can know that for sure. Scientists have identified earth-like planets in our galaxy that appear similar to our own.

Edited by crookedspiral
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, crookedspiral said:

I don't think we can know that for sure. Scientists have identified earth-like planets in our galaxy that appear similar to our own.

No they haven't.

Well...there you go.  Do they have an atmosphere that will support life?

10 minutes ago, joc said:

Well...there you go.  Do they have an atmosphere that will support life?

Who knows?   Life can be very adaptable?  Look at some lifeforms here on earth living in boiling water, and in solid rock, in total darkness under tremendous pressures, and on and on.  Life might exist in atmospheres and conditions Completely unlike those of earth?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, lightly said:

Look at some lifeforms here on earth living in boiling water

uh....which life forms would that be?

15 minutes ago, joc said:

uh....which life forms would that be?

uh.... I suspected you might say that.   I can't spare the data to google it....I learned about it on my television... Do me a favor and google it? 

Edited by lightly
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lightly said:

I suspected you might say that.   I can't spare the data to google it....I learned about it on my television... Do me a favor and google it? 

Boiling kills everything -- giardia, cryptosporidium, other bacteria, and viruses. 185°F (85°C) for a few minutes will do it, and boiling for one minute will do it. ... Some people recommend longer boiling times at higher altitudes because water boils at cooler temperatures there.

Link

2 minutes ago, joc said:

Boiling kills everything -- giardia, cryptosporidium, other bacteria, and viruses. 185°F (85°C) for a few minutes will do it, and boiling for one minute will do it. ... Some people recommend longer boiling times at higher altitudes because water boils at cooler temperatures there.

Link

Ok....I googled Yellowstone life in boiling water.....and immediately found a link about a man who, in1966' discovered life in the boiling springs there, which were also as acidic as the juice in your car battery.   i Knew I'd learned about such things before.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, lightly said:

I suspected you might say that.   I can't spare the data to google it....I learned about it on my television... Do me a favor and google it? 

I think I remember a thread about it on this board a couple of days ago.   @joc

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, lightly said:

Ok....I googled Yellowstone life in boiling water.....and immediately found a link about a man who, in1966' discovered life in the boiling springs there, which were also as acidic as the juice in your car battery.   i Knew I'd learned about such things before.:rolleyes:

If it's on tv it must be true:passifier:

Yeah i swear i saw something swimming in a boiling pool at yellowstone, but they say oonly bacterial life can survive. I think the reference was to the animals that live on undersea volcanic vents. Its not really debatable, some things thrive there. Of course life can adapt to many temperatures and ecosystems and would reflect the environment it lives in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nnicolette said:

Yeah i swear i saw something swimming in a boiling pool at yellowstone, but they say oonly bacterial life can survive. I think the reference was to the animals that live on undersea volcanic vents. Its not really debatable, some things thrive there. Of course life can adapt to many temperatures and ecosystems and would reflect the environment it lives in.

Nothing alive can survive at 212 degrees Fahrenheit / 100 degrees Celsius...nothing!

2 hours ago, joc said:

If it's on tv it must be true:passifier:

...  Oops...it looks like I was wrong...and you were right.   The info on-line was playing fast and loose with the term "BOILING" ..:nw:...which is slightly lower in Yellowstone due to the elevation.... 198f ave.    Anyway, it looks like maybe 180f is the hottest water where life has been found there.  So I was wrong, but not by too many degrees !   

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

As I said, ....  (deepcalmingbreath) .  . When you doubted old lightly's word... I googled "Yellowstone life in boiling water" and got immediate  results supporting my 'claim' about life existing in boiling water.    (Shortercalmingbreath).  

So . . there we have it.    :passifier:.    

All thermophiles require a hot water environment, but some thrive in more than one extreme, such as those with high levels of sulfur or calcium carbonate, acidic water, or alkaline springs. What enables an organism to thrive in habitats where the temperature is sometimes as hot as 140 degrees C (284 degrees F)? Regardless of varying environmental conditions, the ability of thermophiles to thrive in extremely hot environments lies in extremozymes, enzymes geared to work in extremely high temperatures. The amino acids of these extremozymes have special tricks to retain their twisted and folded 3D structures in high heat, where other enzymes would unfold and no longer work.

Link

Hence the old saying, I learn something new everyday!   Kudos on that one! I officially stand corrected :tu:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, joc said:

All thermophiles require a hot water environment, but some thrive in more than one extreme, such as those with high levels of sulfur or calcium carbonate, acidic water, or alkaline springs. What enables an organism to thrive in habitats where the temperature is sometimes as hot as 140 degrees C (284 degrees F)? Regardless of varying environmental conditions, the ability of thermophiles to thrive in extremely hot environments lies in extremozymes, enzymes geared to work in extremely high temperatures. The amino acids of these extremozymes have special tricks to retain their twisted and folded 3D structures in high heat, where other enzymes would unfold and no longer work.

Link

Hence the old saying, I learn something new everyday!   Kudos on that one! I officially stand corrected :tu:

LMAO!   Old lightly was right ?!    an I didn't even know it !  :lol:

Thanks for the good info  up above ...I guess we both learned sumpin.   ;0)

Edited by lightly
  • Thanks 1

LMAO!   Old lightly was right ?!    an I didn't even know it !  :lol:

Thanks for the good info  up above ...I guess we both learned sumpin.   ;0)

Like I have stated before...I am interested in knowing what the Actual Truth is.   I  b e l i e v e d  that no life could exist at the boiling point of water.  I believed something that was not the Actual Truth.  That Thermophiles can live in temps above water's boiling point is a proven fact.

What's more...I did not even think water could get hotter than the boiling point...it can...a lot hotter! :)   Thanks!

• Like 3

On November 9, 2019 at 8:16 PM, joc said:

Are you saying that you think no life can possibly exist on any other planet in the entire universe? Or just plants?

how can we possibly know that?   It may be that this is the only tiny spot in the entire universe which has Life...maybe not?

if the universe is actually as large as we think, I would guess life elsewhere is a certainty.   If the universe is not as it appears to us....all bets are off?   I dunno...I just prefer to keep a very open mind.  

. . oya, and if there are plants elsewhere....they might exist in completely unimaginable forms.  ! ! 

Edited by lightly

• 1 month later...

Many people are convinced that science knows all, so they make definite statements because scientific authorities make statements. In reality science is evolving all the time and scientists should not really make speculative opinions using words like 'likely', 'probably', etc. This is because so many people need to hear it from them to believe in a truth.

As a non-scientist I can make speculative statements or posts on here (the Case for Plant Life on Mars) without any fear of people believing me, even when I show evidence from NASA!

• Like 1