Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Vietnam vet covered in ants at VA facility

Eldorado

"An Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam and was living his final days at a US Department of Veterans Affairs assisted-living facility was twice found covered in ants and photos show scores of bites on his body, his daughter said Thursday.

"Laquana Ross said her father, Joel Marrable, died Saturday at the Eagles' Nest Community Living Center in the Atlanta VA Medical Center.

"Ross said she is not upset with the VA over the ants, but wants her father's story to prompt change.

""Maybe this can move the needle and improve the process," she said. "The VA is busy. They have a lot of patients and huge needs they have to address.""

Full report from Sept at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/13/us/atlanta-va-veteran-ants/index.html

At the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/16/care-home-staff-let-ants-crawl-bite-dying-war-veteran-100-times-10752496/

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 2
  • Sad 7

*Breaks bottle*

• Like 5

Ya, this makes me a bit stabby. This man gave everything for his country, the country back to him? Not so much. Death by a thousand cuts to line a thousand greedy pockets.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

*Breaks bottle*

I think I'll head down to the local legion (vet's club) and buy the vets a round and toast them. Make a donation while I'm there too.

• Like 4

We have, in the past 20 years, approved Vets being allowed to be admitted into and treated in any hospital, then be reimbursed by the VA. I became an advocate when my stepfather had to drive an hour away for treatment when I was in my teens.

There is still a lot of work to be done.

• Like 5

This is a disgraceful way to treat those who this country owes everything  :cry:  :angry:

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"An Air Force veteran who served in Vietnam and was living his final days at a US Department of Veterans Affairs assisted-living facility was twice found covered in ants and photos show scores of bites on his body, his daughter said Thursday.

"Laquana Ross said her father, Joel Marrable, died Saturday at the Eagles' Nest Community Living Center in the Atlanta VA Medical Center.

"Ross said she is not upset with the VA over the ants, but wants her father's story to prompt change.

""Maybe this can move the needle and improve the process," she said. "The VA is busy. They have a lot of patients and huge needs they have to address.""

Full report from Sept at CNN: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/13/us/atlanta-va-veteran-ants/index.html

At the UK Metro: https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/16/care-home-staff-let-ants-crawl-bite-dying-war-veteran-100-times-10752496/

Yeah, disagree (bold part).  The VA is a permanent Government Department and the people representing the Govt at the time sent these victims into war zones to risk their lives. It's their responsibility to provide full assistance regardless of who was ruling the roost at the time or how many patients they have.  If they don't want to or can't afford to provide more personnel and funds to Veterans Affairs don't fight @@##$ useless wars, especially ones millions of miles away for political reasons.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eldorado said:

Thanks for the Link Eldorado. Unfortunately this is a sad commentary on what a poor Job the VA is doing for our American heroes especially with Veterans Day here in America coming up tomorrow. These brave folks deserve much better. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Yeah, disagree (bold part).  The VA is a permanent Government Department and the people representing the Govt at the time sent these victims into war zones to risk their lives. It's their responsibility to provide full assistance regardless of who was ruling the roost at the time or how many patients they have.  If they don't want to or can't afford to provide more personnel and funds to Veterans Affairs don't fight @@##$ useless wars, especially ones millions of miles away for political reasons.

IMO there's one reason this Govt exists. They owe these men and women the chairs they're sitting on.

• Like 3

On a personal note I've not had any issues with the VA. They've always been accommodating and professional. Now my primary care physician is another story. Let's just say there's a conflict of personalities.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, Buzz_Light_Year said:

On a personal note I've not had any issues with the VA. They've always been accommodating and professional. Now my primary care physician is another story. Let's just say there's a conflict of personalities.

Same here.  Not all VA's are created equal.  I love my VA.  They are fast with appointments, and very professional and friendly.  It's also undergone huge renovations, and is super nice inside.

• Thanks 2