Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US County bans hairstyle discrimination

Eldorado

"The bill, entitled the CROWN (Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair) Act is similar to legislation passed in July in New York and California.

"Similar legislation has been introduced in Wisconsin, Kentucky, New Jersey, Tennessee, Michigan and Illinois.”

"Navarro said the bill is another step toward racial equality."

Full monty at WTOP (Washinton): https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2019/11/montgomery-county-becomes-first-u-s-county-to-ban-discrimination-based-on-natural-hairstyles/

"A person who is discriminated against can seek a penalty of up to $5,000 through the Maryland county’s Office of Human Rights."

At the Hill: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/469561-maryland-county-becomes-first-in-us-to-ban-discrimination-based

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So... if I as an old coger who happens to be pale skinned, decided to sport my hair teased out and stiff from product sprayed into it and looked near frightening because of it, should my boss, say I'm an agent at an upscale real estate agency, be okay with that?  Or should a young person who's outfront representing a firm that's expected to portray itself as solid, respectable and dependable, be allowed to simply walk in with hair that, while clean, hasn't even had a comb through it?  Absolutely ridiculous.  We're watching our political system empower hyphenated groups of Americans to literally pull the country down.

A quote from a comment section of the second article:

"The real worry is that soon we will have so many recompense-seeking victims that we will run out of concession-granting oppressors," 

Victor Davis Hanson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All I see is just another way to make money.

Edit: Does anyone actually care about another persons hairstyle? (I'm being serious) Because I don't care about how they cut, shave, poof it up, wtf-ever style they like. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Edit: Does anyone actually care about another persons hairstyle? (I'm being serious) Because I don't care about how they cut, shave, poof it up, wtf-ever style they like. 

Exactly!   

Who gives a rat's ass what someone else's hairstyle looks like.  I wish these people would find something better to do. What a load of rot.

• Like 5

This is a thing? Meh, much ado about nothing. The only thing that gets my goat, besides timber wolves, is people with so much hair spray or gel that they're walking fire hazards. I've seen a few hairdos go up in smoke in my time. Lol 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't know anyone that this has happened to personally, but allegedly it is an issue black women run into in the work place sometimes, or use to. Because of their natural frizzy hair. 

https://www.byrdie.com/natural-hair-in-corporate-america

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I don't know anyone that this has happened to personally, but allegedly it is an issue black women run into in the work place sometimes, or use to. Because of their natural frizzy hair. 

Well, it could also be Trump's fault don't forget.....

After all: 

You can't make this stuff up.  :lol:

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Well, I do remember in the 80's being told by the personnel clerk that I had to wear panty hose and fix my hair, though she never told the men that, and it was bad enough that I was told I had to wear skirts even though my job required that I crawl under desks and carry printers up and down stairs.  Apparently a pony tail to keep my hair out of my face was not acceptable.  But now days I have seen women my age (over 60) with purple or green hair and they have jobs working with the public so I don't think that is a thing any more.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Yeah, when I first came out of high school a lot of people had problems with my hair. I was turned down for 3 mechanic jobs because I wouldn't cut it and finally said **** auto repair. Back to the family farm. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Yeah, when I first came out of high school a lot of people had problems with my hair. I was turned down for 3 mechanic jobs because I wouldn't cut it and finally said **** auto repair. Back to the family farm. 

I don't know how many jobs have told be I had to cut my hair. Years ago I was told I was passed up for a managers position because i wouldn't cut it, even though I had been filling the managers position for the 10 months we didn't have one. Such a pointless point of contention to some people. I have friends who were asked if they were going to wear a wig while at work or would be keeping their natural hair out. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

https://www.byrdie.com/natural-hair-in-corporate-america

If it does then perhaps it should be handled in some way other than creating laws to penalize others.  Imagine the freedom to choose where to work without feeling the need to demand that others accept everything about you without question.  Really, which of us has ever had that power?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, I do remember in the 80's being told by the personnel clerk that I had to wear panty hose and fix my hair, though she never told the men that, and it was bad enough that I was told I had to wear skirts even though my job required that I crawl under desks and carry printers up and down stairs.  Apparently a pony tail to keep my hair out of my face was not acceptable.  But now days I have seen women my age (over 60) with purple or green hair and they have jobs working with the public so I don't think that is a thing any more.

Could you imagine being told to do that in today's society?  They'd get the bird flipped at them faster than they could blink. :D  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

This kind of discrimination DOES happen, and happens frequently, and it predominately happens to women of color. People like And Then's only association with women of color comes from whomever Hannity or Tuckkker has told them to hate that week.

You forgot an important one that I think a lot of people like to watch and catch up on the latest gossip and tips on how to live their lives.........The View. 

Have you had a look at Whoopi's hair lately??  Now this is cool hair.  She's not afraid to wear cornrows and dreads in a grey/white colour.  That's progress imo. :D 190918_view_segone_hair_1106_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg.e4dc198b76f7ad7cbd0f8d55ee003170.jpg

27 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

You forgot an important one that I think a lot of people like to watch and catch up on the latest gossip and tips on how to live their lives.........The View. 

Have you had a look at Whoopi's hair lately??  Now this is cool hair.  She's not afraid to wear cornrows and dreads in a grey/white colour.  That's progress imo. :D 190918_view_segone_hair_1106_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg.e4dc198b76f7ad7cbd0f8d55ee003170.jpg

She's hardly fits the mold as an average person. 

I agree that things have come a long way, but it's people like And Then that have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century and told, to their faces, that their behavior is not longer acceptable.  

• Like 1

The mullet is banned though :-P 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

She's hardly fits the mold as an average person. 

Sorry but I was trying to think of a woman of colour who has cool hair as an example.  I love good old Whoopie.  She had a hard life early on and she worked hard.  I may not agree with her politically but that doesn't change my viewpoint of her or anyone else for that matter.  She's a wonderfully talented actress and I think she's fantastic.

17 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I agree that things have come a long way, but it's people like And Then that have to be dragged, kicking and screaming into the 21st century and told, to their faces, that their behavior is not longer acceptable.  

I dunno Imaginary, maybe it's easier to take things with a grain of salt and not personally.  I don't agree with you half the time, but I'm never rude to you and it's not like I'm gonna get my knickers in a knot over it.   

Plus it's not like and_then's beliefs are making you lose sleep at night or changing your life indefinitely.  If people are respectful about their views, it's polite to acknowledge and move on, even if we don't agree.  No point in getting your fur ruffled or you'll have a bad hair day ;)   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Sorry but I was trying to think of a woman of colour who has cool hair as an example.  I love good old Whoopie.  She had a hard life early on and she worked hard.  I may not agree with her politically but that doesn't change my viewpoint of her or anyone else for that matter.  She's a wonderfully talented actress and I think she's fantastic.

I dunno Imaginary, maybe it's easier to take things with a grain of salt and not personally.  I don't agree with you half the time, but I'm never rude to you and it's not like I'm gonna get my knickers in a knot over it.   

Plus it's not like and_then's beliefs are making you lose sleep at night or changing your life indefinitely.  If people are respectful about their views, it's polite to acknowledge and move on, even if we don't agree.  No point in getting your fur ruffled or you'll have a bad hair day ;)   

I disagree. Stupid and outdated beliefs should be ridiculed as such and the holders of such believes should be constantly reminded of just how stupid they are. 

Edit: And mocked. How could I leave out mocked?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I disagree. Stupid and outdated beliefs should be ridiculed as such and the holders of such believes should be constantly reminded of just how stupid they are. 

Oh I wasn't expecting that!  LOL you're so awful Imaginary! :lol: 

I just found this meme and had to share it here - what a cute funny bird!  I was looking for birds of prey memes for another thread, then thought of this one. Good timing! :D 

when-you-check-funny-monday-meme.jpg.b7652ae132e6cccd2b8ea05787b28aea.jpg

Edited by Gwynbleidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 11:01 PM, Piney said:

what kind of hair did you have? long hair? i wouldn't hire you either, if i was running a shop, last thing i need is some kid's hair get caught on a spinning belt or a pulley and get pulled into the motor, and very likely killed,  such incidents have happened,  iirc several years ago, a girl was killed in her Yale workshop, when a lathe caught her hair. 

13 minutes ago, aztek said:

what kind of hair did you have? long hair? i wouldn't hire you either, if i was running a shop, last thing i need is some kid's hair get caught on a spinning belt or a pulley and get pulled into the motor, and very likely killed,  such incidents have happened,  iirc several years ago, a girl was killed in her Yale workshop, when a lathe caught her hair. 

I don't think it was the length of the hair but lack of common sense.  You can put long hair in a pony tail or wear a head cover (bandanas are popular).   I know a lot of mechanics that worked in shops when they were in their young 20's with long hair.

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't think it was the length of the hair but lack of common sense.  You can put long hair in a pony tail or wear a head cover (bandanas are popular).   I know a lot of mechanics that worked in shops when they were in their young 20's with long hair.

it is safety measure. plain and simple,