Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empty Space

029b10

What is the empty space?  Seems like a simple question so anyone care to answer?  

(Note: the reason this in not posted in the science forum due philosophical and theological conclusions of science regarding this topic.)

Edited by 029b10

I don't think there is such a thing. There is always (really small) stuff bouncing around occupying "empty space". If we could see at the sub atomic level, my oh my, space such a busy place. 

How can theology answer anything beyond it's dogma?

1 hour ago, 029b10 said:

What is the empty space?  Seems like a simple question so anyone care to answer?  

(Note: the reason this in not posted in the science forum due philosophical and theological conclusions of science regarding this topic.)

The controversial idea that our universe is just a random bubble in an endless, frothing multiverse arises logically from nature’s most innocuous-seeming feature: empty space. Specifically, the seed of the multiverse hypothesis is the inexplicably tiny amount of energy infused in empty space—energy known as the vacuum energy, dark energy, or the cosmological constant. Each cubic meter of empty space contains only enough of this energy to light a lightbulb for 11-trillionths of a second. “The bone in our throat,” as the Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg once put it, is that the vacuum ought to be at least a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion times more energetic, because of all the matter and force fields coursing through it. Somehow the effects of all these fields on the vacuum almost equalize, producing placid stillness. Why is empty space so empty?

While we don’t know the answer to this question—the infamous “cosmological constant problem”—the extreme vacuity of our vacuum appears necessary for our existence. In a universe imbued with even slightly more of this gravitationally repulsive energy, space would expand too quickly for structures like galaxies, planets, or people to form. This fine-tuned situation suggests that there might be a huge number of universes, all with different doses of vacuum energy, and that we happen to inhabit an extraordinarily low-energy universe because we couldn’t possibly find ourselves anywhere else.

Some scientists bristle at the tautology of “anthropic reasoning” and dislike the multiverse for being untestable. Even those open to the multiverse idea would love to have alternative solutions to the cosmological constant problem to explore. But so far it has proved nearly impossible to solve without a multiverse. “The problem of dark energy [is] so thorny, so difficult, that people have not got one or two solutions,” said Raman Sundrum, a theoretical physicist at the University of Maryland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

I don't think there is such a thing. There is always (really small) stuff bouncing around occupying "empty space". If we could see at the sub atomic level, my oh my, space such a busy place. 

The question really asks what is empty space, as in what is it made of since it is known and observed so we know it physically exists, but what is substance which forms empty space.   If mass could not exist without space, then space would have had to originated before mass since mass could not have originated prior to space since it would have no place to occupy. 

Are you sure that empty space isn't the level at which all sub-atomic matter originates from?

1 hour ago, Rlyeh said:

How can theology answer anything beyond it's dogma?

How would the question of the beginning of the physical world be beyond the dogma of Genesis which starts at the beginning.

19 minutes ago, Manwon Lender said:

Each cubic meter of empty space contains only enough of this energy to light a lightbulb for 11-trillionths of a second.

Since energy is as it is defined as the ability of an atom to produce work, doesn't the absence of an atom mean the absence of potential or kinetic energy?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

How would the question of the beginning of the physical world be beyond the dogma of Genesis which starts at the beginning.

The beginning of a geocentric universe where photosynthesis doesn't exist..

Genesis is the last place you're going to find physics.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

The beginning of a geocentric universe where photosynthesis doesn't exist..

Genesis is the last place you're going to find physics.

If that is what interpret the scriptures to state then that is merely your interpretation but let me guess, you probably think the rainbow is caused by light refraction too.

Edited by 029b10

49 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

If that is what interpret the scriptures to state then that is merely your interpretation but let me guess, you probably think the rainbow is caused by light refraction too.

Do demons cause mental illness too?

You aren't looking for answers, you're looking for confirmation.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

Do demons cause mental illness too?

You aren't looking for answers, you're looking for confirmation.

You are more than free to answer the original question regarding empty space.

7 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Leprechauns clearly!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Nothing can exist without space as there are no locations for anything to exist at.

So matter and space share a interdependent relationship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Since energy is as it is defined as the ability of an atom to produce work, doesn't the absence of an atom mean the absence of potential or kinetic energy?

That sounds great, but according to All that is know on this subject there is no truly empty space.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Nothing can exist without space as there are no locations for anything to exist at.

So matter and space share a interdependent relationship.

So basically space would have to proceed the existence of matter in order for there to be somewhere for matter to physically exist. Thanx.

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

That sounds great, but according to All that is know on this subject there is no truly empty space.

So you bragging, complaining or stating a fact   B)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 029b10 said:

So basically space would have to proceed the existence of matter in order for there to be somewhere for matter to physically exist. Thanx.

No, they have an interdependent relationship.

Neither exists without the other.

18 hours ago, 029b10 said:

So you bragging, complaining or stating a fact   B)

I am stating a belief that Albert Einstein had that was incorporated in his Theory of General Relativity. I think I will beleive Alberts thoughts on this subject.  

By the way, no reason to be rude, this is a discussion and I offered my opinion based upon information I trust.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:04 PM, 029b10 said:

I doubt anyone really knows at this stage, except to say we know that it isn't empty in any real sense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, Horta said:

I doubt anyone really knows at this stage, except to say we know that it isn't empty in any real sense.

Maybe it would have been better to ask whether empty space could exist rather than if  it does exist.

3 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Maybe it would have been better to ask whether empty space could exist rather than if  it does exist.

The Casimir effect verifies the existence of virtual particles, so the most likely answer is that space is not empty, and (very basically put) matter was originally produced by a difference in potential from what we often refer to as empty space.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 029b10 said:

Good point.