Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Iran celebrates massive oil find

Eldorado

"Iran's President has announced the discovery of a new oil field with more than 50 billion barrels of crude — a find that could boost the country's proven reserves by a third as it struggles to sell energy amid US sanctions."

"The 80-metre-deep reservoir stretches nearly 200 kilometres from Khuzestan's border with Iraq to the city of Omidiyeh, he said.

"The find would add about 34 per cent to Iran's current proven reserves, estimated by energy giant BP to be 155.6 billion barrels."

Full monty at ABC (Aus): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-11/iran-discovers-new-oil-field-with-over-50-billion-barrels/11691924

And at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50365235

A kinda convenient find, eh?

• Thanks 4

third_eye

Now we know why the sudden interest with regime change in Iran all of a sudden, suddenly again... 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

RoofGardener

Hmm.. this oil field was announced by President Hassan Rouhani in a  political speech at a rally. 

I'd await independent confirmation of this before I take it seriously. 

• Like 4

DarkHunter

The oil field got downgraded from 50 billion to about 2.2 billion.  Basically they found an additional 22 billion barrels of oil at a site they knew had about 30 billion barrels but only about 2.2 billion barrels can be extracted.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-downgrades-new-oil-find-to-just-2-2-billion-accessible-barrels/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dumbledore the Awesome

White House finds an excuse to move troops in to "protect it from The Terrorists" :yes:

• Haha 6

RoofGardener
22 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

The oil field got downgraded from 50 billion to about 2.2 billion.  Basically they found an additional 22 billion barrels of oil at a site they knew had about 30 billion barrels but only about 2.2 billion barrels can be extracted.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-downgrades-new-oil-find-to-just-2-2-billion-accessible-barrels/

ROFL... typical bluster and exaggeration for the region. 

Tatetopa
15 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

ROFL... typical bluster and exaggeration for the region. 

For any region I suppose.

How do they plan on selling the stuff?

RoofGardener
4 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

For any region I suppose.

How do they plan on selling the stuff?

There's nothing TO sell. The whole thing is made up. 

RAyMO
38 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

There's nothing TO sell. The whole thing is made up. 

OK I don't follow this closely. But reading this here it could potentially be a large find even if confirmed figures are much smaller than the OP.

Given that the Iranians downgraded the find to 22 billion and stated due this that and the other they could only get at 2.2billion today  AND that they can't sell the bloody stuff anyway:

Why do you think its made up. - what is goal of making this story up.

pallidin

Lets me see if I've got this right... the radical Muslim autocracy has found 56 Billion dollars worth of petroleum upon which to a) increase their own military machine to kill "infidels", and b) fund proxy terrorist activities.

RoofGardener
2 hours ago, RAyMO said:

OK I don't follow this closely. But reading this here it could potentially be a large find even if confirmed figures are much smaller than the OP.

Given that the Iranians downgraded the find to 22 billion and stated due this that and the other they could only get at 2.2billion today  AND that they can't sell the bloody stuff anyway:

Why do you think its made up. - what is goal of making this story up.

it was a nice announcement for their President to make at a rally. It is pure propaganda and "feel good" to keep the peasants happy. :)

• Like 1

odas
3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

it was a nice announcement for their President to make at a rally. It is pure propaganda and "feel good" to keep the peasants happy. :)

Sure. And the peasents, with the imposed sanctions, benefited highly from the riches of their country.

Acctually, ones, just ones they did but their democraticly elected President who wanted to share the wealth wit them was overthrown by your country.

• Like 2

Tatetopa
4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

it was a nice announcement for their President to make at a rally. It is pure propaganda and "feel good" to keep the peasants happy.

I guess they get tired of the Death to America chants at rallys.

• Haha 3

and then
1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

I guess they get tired of the Death to America chants at rallys.

I saw they've recently updated the hate America artwork on the old embassy compound.  About time.  

• Haha 1