Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: Our brain gets washed as we sleep

spartan max2

New study. Scientist scan the brain of people asleep and find that our spinal fluid comes up and "washes" away "toxin buildup" in our brain each night.

We are quite literally having our brains washed every night. Neuroscientists have now produced a fascinating video that shows this nocturnal pulsing process in action.

Waves of watery cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) flow over our brains, this latest study shows, pulsing rhythmically while we're snoozing, and at the same time clearing out any toxins that shouldn't be building up inside our heads.

https://www.sciencealert.com/mesmerising-video-shows-waves-of-spinal-fluid-washing-over-the-brain-during-sleep

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

That must be why sleep deprivation makes us a little crazy or unable to focus.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

It also makes me curious if spinal fluid has a significant effect on us being able to dream.

And even more relevant to UM. NDEs

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well I'm ****ed I got insomnia.:rolleyes:

12 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

There's a jedi mind trick for that.  Let me know if you are interested.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

There's a jedi mind trick for that.  Let me know if you are interested.

Intrigue me....

23 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Intrigue me....

Have you determined why you can't sleep?  Is it medical or mental?  You first need to make sure it is not medical, as hormonal and other brain chemistry imbalances can cause what seems like obsessive thoughts or other things that some like to dismiss. 

So, the first step is to determine why you have insomnia.  And don't rule anything out at first.  It is not something that is easy, that's why I call it jedi mind tricks, you have to do the work.  It could even be something simple like an allergy to your cat or the wrong pillow or it could be something complex like the immune disorder that my cousin has, which only now is being recognized by the alopaths as an actual illness after she and many people have suffered with it for decades.

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Have you determined why you can't sleep?  Is it medical or mental?  You first need to make sure it is not medical, as hormonal and other brain chemistry imbalances can cause what seems like obsessive thoughts or other things that some like to dismiss. 

So, the first step is to determine why you have insomnia.  And don't rule anything out at first.  It is not something that is easy, that's why I call it jedi mind tricks, you have to do the work.  It could even be something simple like an allergy to your cat or the wrong pillow or it could be something complex like the immune disorder that my cousin has, which only now is being recognized by the alopaths as an actual illness after she and many people have suffered with it for decades.

Actually sounds logical, however my insomnia probably ranges from the fact that I have no idea what going on my head and how I'm doing **** all with my life.

5 minutes ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

Actually sounds logical, however my insomnia probably ranges from the fact that I have no idea what going on my head and how I'm doing **** all with my life.

Then the jedi mind trick I use might be helpful (I have experienced similar).  You have to pay attention.  The moment you notice you are spiraling in to those negative thought loops, think of something that makes you happy, your kids, your dog, a joke that made you laugh, imagining you are on the Enterprise with Captain Kirk, anything.  It takes practice and it has to become a habit.  The other thing is to never look at the clock when you can't sleep.  It is self defeating because in reality, and you know this, we don't need as much sleep as we think in order to function.  We do need that sleep in order to function well but we sabotage ourselves by worrying about how much sleep we aren't getting.

Any of this that does not resonate, just ignore, I don't have the answers for anyone else, just experience I can share.

13 hours ago, ThereWeAreThen said:

It might alleviate your concerns some to know that in the study they found that the "washing" happened with all sleep.

As in it dosent have to be deep sleep, or REM sleep. Any sleep works, even light restless sleep.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It might alleviate your concerns some to know that in the study they found that the "washing" happened with all sleep.

As in it dosent have to be deep sleep, or REM sleep. Any sleep works, even light restless sleep.

I wonder if that is why some types of meditation help people feel better, the brain gets washed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I wonder if that is why some types of meditation help people feel better, the brain gets washed.

That an intriguing thought. 

They need to do a study on that.

• Like 1