Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A pet Chihuahua had a "very lucky" escape when a bird of prey tried to snatch it, according to its owners.

Sheila Gillanders, 72, said 18-month-old Emma was only saved thanks to the quick actions of her husband Robert.

The buzzard-like bird tried to take the pet from their garden in Aberdeen's Stoneywood on Friday.

But Mr Gillanders, 65, managed to get to the predator and release the dog from its talons. Emma is now recovering at home after being treated by a vet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-50376499

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

We have a hawk that hangs out in the cottonwood tree in back.  Last year there were 4 of them, a grown pair and two babies, I think this year it is one of the babies that has stayed around.  My neighbor's cat was caught by one of the grown hawks a couple of times and was able to roll over and scratch and bite at the bird so that it would release it.  Once the neighbor was ready to knock it in the head but the cat escaped again.  Another time he was sitting in his pool and the bird dive bombed him.  All of us in this corner keep an eye out for those birds and get our small dogs and cats into the house.  One of my cats never goes outside and the one that does is crafty and watches the trees.  She has run in through the doggie door several times when that hawk shows up. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Shotguns are amazingly effective for solving this particular problem.  Folks just have to decide which is more important...the laws or their pets.  After that, it's on them to choose.

• Like 1

A seagull flew into my apartment recently and thankfully Emma-Jane (my cat) was asleep in her room. All the idiot bird got was a half-eaten muffin.

Fortunately Emma (the Chihuahua) was rescued in time. But poor little Gizmo (the Chihuahua that was taken by a seagull) wasn't as lucky. There's a link to Gizmo's story in the article Still Waters posted. I love birds of prey (eagles and hawks are my favourites) and much as I would hate to hurt them, I would do whatever necessary to save that spoiled, ungrateful, belligerent cat of mine.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

All the raptors are fearless birds,we have Wedgetailed Eagles here that try to take my terriers on a regular basis.I nearly lost a young Rottweiler that got lifted by one but escaped death with my old bull terriers assistance.I've seen these eagles with small feral goats in trees before,awesome birds.I say watch your pets instead of taking revenge afterwards.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, openozy said:

I say watch your pets instead of taking revenge afterwards.

To each his own.  I was speaking of being PROACTIVE, however :devil:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, and then said:

To each his own.  I was speaking of being PROACTIVE, however :devil:

Yes, we must protect the endangered domestic cat and dog :tu:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, openozy said:

Yes, we must protect the endangered domestic cat and dog :tu:

As I said, to each his own.  If it's MY dog we're talking about not being free to wander in its own yard then the raptor has a price on its head.  For a little context, we had a rescue kitten that followed me home 6 months ago.  My daughter named her Salem (jet black) and after 2 months a hawk took the poor little thing away.  FWIW, I exacted no revenge but I'll never allow it to be a problem again to the extent I can interfere with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, and then said:

As I said, to each his own.  If it's MY dog we're talking about not being free to wander in its own yard then the raptor has a price on its head.  For a little context, we had a rescue kitten that followed me home 6 months ago.  My daughter named her Salem (jet black) and after 2 months a hawk took the poor little thing away.  FWIW, I exacted no revenge but I'll never allow it to be a problem again to the extent I can interfere with it.

I can relate to that as I have a black cat named Salem.I've lost quite a few pets to brown snakes here,even though protected they get either beheaded with a spade or a load from a .410 now.I still wouldn't shoot an eagle though,it just seems wrong to me.Maybe there's no difference.

• Like 2

There a big female sparrow hawk that visits  my avairy  to try and get the birds bloody thing however it did have a go at a neiboughs kitten which suffered puncture wounds.As a little footnote note I got the blame for atracting dangerous birds by keep finches etc in my avairy...stupid old woman she is

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This is happening a lot lately. There was a Yorkshire Terrier snatched by a Seagull a little while back as well. :angry:

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

There was a Yorkshire Terrier snatched by a Seagull a little while back as well. :angry:

Are you serious???  You guys must have gigantic Seagulls over there :o 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

To be fair they are a protected species in the UK so they can grow as big as they want.:lol:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

This is happening a lot lately. There was a Yorkshire Terrier snatched by a Seagull a little while back as well. :angry:

I saw a gull swoop down and take a full grown moorhen then land and swallow it whole and still kicking

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Herring gulls and black backed are fairly big they come and nick food out of your hands while your eating it bloody dirty filthy things nearly as horrible as feral pigeons 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Herring gulls and black backed are fairly big they come and nick food out of your hands while your eating it bloody dirty filthy things nearly as horrible as feral pigeons 

Our gulls must be just normal size here.  They're like the size of pigeons I guess.  Your's sound like the size of pelicans! :o  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Our gulls must be just normal size here.  They're like the size of pigeons I guess.  Your's sound like the size of pelicans! :o  

We got little ones as well but herring gulls got about a 3ft wing span and black backs are even bigger..... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

I remember seeing huge sea gulls when I went to Oregon.  The ones we have that fly up the river from the Gulf of Mexico are small and only snatch french fries and hamburgers at the fast food places near the river.   It has always seemed kind of weird to see sea gulls so far inland so near the desert.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

I remember seeing huge sea gulls when I went to Oregon.  The ones we have that fly up the river from the Gulf of Mexico are small and only snatch french fries and hamburgers at the fast food places near the river.   It has always seemed kind of weird to see sea gulls so far inland so near the desert.

That's amazing really, well I never knew that.  As I've always lived by the ocean, and  seagulls are always just there.  I had no idea they went that far inland.  It's probably the depleted fishstocks.  Or the more likely reason is, they just go where the chips/fries are.  LOL 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

That's amazing really, well I never knew that.  As I've always lived by the ocean, and  seagulls are always just there.  I had no idea they went that far inland.  It's probably the depleted fishstocks.  Or the more likely reason is, they just go where the chips/fries are.  LOL 

But tuna don't like seagull

https://youtu.be/FEAbslS6UiU

• Haha 1