Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China will wipe out extreme poverty in 2020

Eldorado

"With continued efforts throughout the next year, China will wipe out extreme poverty in 2020, a senior Chinese official has said at a recent seminar held in Beijing.

"Over 90 percent of China's poor counties will also be removed from the poverty list by the end of this year, said Liu Yongfu, director of the State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development."

Full monty at Xinhaunet: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-10/18/c_138482349.htm

"The economic reforms improved the fortunes of hundreds of millions of Chinese people.

"The World Bank says more than 850 million people been lifted out of poverty, and the country is on track to eliminate absolute poverty by 2020.

"At the same time, education rates have surged. Standard Chartered projects that by 2030, around 27% of China's workforce will have a university education - that's about the same as Germany today."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49806247

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Most will still seem extremely poor to you or I though.  

I know someone that moved here (ran away) from China.  What you have are special economic zones where people are able to work for and with large western companies, and live in excess and comparative freedom.  Those are the parts we see.  Outside those special development zones you have the rest of China where the garbage is dumped and you can't drink the water.  Where your food and household conveniences are rationed.  Where they take young people from the village they've grew up in and send them to labor in factories whether they are willing or not.  

Make no mistake, China is not to be trusted and is corrupt as hell.  This is pure propaganda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I know someone that moved here (ran away) from China.  What you have are special economic zones where people are able to work for and with large western companies, and live in excess and comparative freedom.  Those are the parts we see.  Outside those special development zones you have the rest of China where the garbage is dumped and you can't drink the water.  Where your food and household conveniences are rationed.  Where they take young people from the village they've grew up in and send them to labor in factories whether they are willing or not.  

Make no mistake, China is not to be trusted and is corrupt as hell.  This is pure propaganda.

Absolutely.

When I think of the Chinese Government I always remember the way it treated it's citizens prior to the Beijing Olympics. 1.5 million citizens evicted against thier will

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

All a government needs to do to lift people out of poverty is to change the threshold that qualifies as poverty.

In the U.S. minimum wage has always been below the poverty level except for one year and that was in 1968 when they were about the same.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

oh really...

Did China just perfect Soylent Green? 

• Haha 2

Things are looking on the up and up though, this year a lot of those that aren't online shoppers are "hiring" internet users to shop for them... 

14 hours ago · Alibaba's Singles' Day shopping festival, which falls on November 11 every year, is the world's largest of its ..

~

• Like 5

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

Things are looking on the up and up though, this year a lot of those that aren't online shoppers are "hiring" internet users to shop for them... 

~

No one said China wasn't improving.  The government is on the back of a tiger though.  They've attempted to create a limited kind of capitalism and their people want it to stay and expand.  Who wouldn't?  The tiger is the first major economic downturn.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

Are they going to lower prices or raise minimum wage to $3/hour? Oh, your not talking about the working class, are you?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Are they going to lower prices or raise minimum wage to $3/hour? Oh, your not talking about the working class, are you?

You didn't read the article did you? 

~

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"With continued efforts throughout the next year, China will wipe out extreme poverty in 2020, a senior Chinese official has said at a recent seminar held in Beijing.

"Over 90 percent of China's poor counties will also be removed from the poverty list by the end of this year, said Liu Yongfu, director of the State Council Leading Group Office of Poverty Alleviation and Development."

Full monty at Xinhaunet: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-10/18/c_138482349.htm

"The economic reforms improved the fortunes of hundreds of millions of Chinese people.

"The World Bank says more than 850 million people been lifted out of poverty, and the country is on track to eliminate absolute poverty by 2020.

"At the same time, education rates have surged. Standard Chartered projects that by 2030, around 27% of China's workforce will have a university education - that's about the same as Germany today."

Full report at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49806247

Thanks for the link Eldorado. Some of you older folks might remember back in the day during the cold war when the Air Raid sirens would go off around the Country on the last Wednesday of each month and practicing in school what we were to do in case of a nuclear attack. I remember our 5th grade teacher Mrs. Williams telling the classroom Aide that it was not Russia that we should be concerned about but China with their 660 million population at the time and that has since grown to 1.5 billion today. Mrs. Cooper the Aide replied I guess it really doesn't matter because if the Russians or the Chinese don't get us the proliferation of drugs surely will. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

You didn't read the article did you? 

~

Yes I did. Looks like double talk and smoke and mirrors. Reclassifying extreme poverty to mere grinding poverty. Has nothing to do with the elite in their shiny new Buicks.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, OverSword said:

I was in China on a business trip just about 30 years ago.  I had time to take a train back from Beijing to Canton which was a day and a night  across country.  It the daytime you could see what looked like villages of small earth brick  dwellings.  As the soil changed color. during the trip, so did the houses.  At night, the countryside was almost pitch black. No excess electricity to waste on outside lights I guess.

I wonder how much different it is now.

• Like 4

I will say the people on the train were really nice.  People have a different sensibility of personal space, but they were friendly.  Nobody told me to go home.  The taxi drivers in Canton at the train station were the truest capitalists.  They cover their meters and try to jack up the price for foreigners that don's speak Chinese.  That was the only time I had the sense of being ripped off in the two weeks I was there.

If someone took the same train trip today, would they see bigger houses and more lights?  That would be an interesting comparison.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yes I did. Looks like double talk and smoke and mirrors. Reclassifying extreme poverty to mere grinding poverty. Has nothing to do with the elite in their shiny new Buicks.

And you wonder why #45 is getting impeached... 

:lol:

~

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, third_eye said:

And you wonder why #45 is getting impeached... 

:lol:

~

Because of 800,000,000 poverty stricken Chinese Proletariat?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Because of 800,000,000 poverty stricken Chinese Proletariat?:rolleyes:

You argue all you want, if you enjoy making a fool out of your self I'm just going to be enjoying laughing at and letting you continue to make a fool out of yourself, excuse me, I've got an impeachment on a president to get more laughs from, you carry on, I'll be back for more laughs. 

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

But, but the current party line is that China is just a poor, pitiful third world country that couldn't harm a fly......when they're not threatening to sink our carriers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

But, but the current party line is that China is just a poor, pitiful third world country that couldn't harm a fly......when they're not threatening to sink our carriers.

Ahhh you mean the Yankee welcoming committee, feel free to pass through the South China Sea, it's not for sale 

~

• Like 1

4 hours ago, third_eye said:

Ahhh you mean the Yankee welcoming committee, feel free to pass through the South China Sea, it's not for sale 

~

Nor is China's claim to it internationally recognized. Might as well claim the moon's dark side, too.:lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

Nor is China's claim to it internationally recognized. Might as well claim the moon's dark side, too.:lol:

Yes or no , is also not something for America to say, everybody is sitting down and working together to achieve a diplomatically agreement in a civilized manner, no need for carriers it modern weapons of mass destruction. 

China can claim the entire moon is not for anyone to claim as territory. 

:)

that's not flags are for... 

~

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Yes or no , is also not something for America to say, everybody is sitting down and working together to achieve a diplomatically agreement in a civilized manner, no need for carriers it modern weapons of mass destruction. 

China can claim the entire moon is not for anyone to claim as territory. 

:)

that's not flags are for... 

~

Vietnam, the Phillipans,and Japan seem to enjoy our presence.

China is trying to bully nation's out of their internationally agreed upon territory.

https://www.asiatimes.com/2019/11/article/vietnam-drops-a-legal-gauntlet-in-south-china-sea/

Just look at the map,the amount China is trying to claim Is ridioclous. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/UvfAHMm3Vu46Pebd9

Edited by spartan max2

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Just look at the map,the amount China is trying to claim Is ridioclous. 

Look, China isn't claiming anything, what China is saying is nobody gets to claim anything either, diplomatically speaking...

~

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Vietnam, the Phillipans,and Japan seem to enjoy our presence.

China is trying to bully nation's out of their internationally agreed upon territory

You've been ignoring recent developments.... and it is the "Philippines"

Japan is just another American foreign policy puppet, Asia doesn't even take them seriously anymore. 

~

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Look, China isn't claiming anything, what China is saying is nobody gets to claim anything either, diplomatically speaking...

~

You've been ignoring recent developments.... and it is the "Philippines"

Japan is just another American foreign policy puppet, Asia doesn't even take them seriously anymore. 

~

That's some quality PR double speak right there lol.

Wow, commenting on my rushed spelling error. I assumed that was below you, but it's also against the rules. Clearly I hit a nerve with you, insulting mother China.

Anyone who does not bow to China is an "American puppet". 

Nice world view you got there. 

It sounds like you're directly reading off talking points for the CCP lol.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That's some quality PR double speak right there lol.

You've just revealed you don't even know what double speak means... 

~

Wow, commenting on my rushed spelling error. I assumed that was below you, but it's also against the rules. Clearly I hit a nerve with you, insulting mother China.

Nope, you've insulted the intelligence of the members participating in this thread. You'd be as gracious if it was ameri**** that was in question here

~

Anyone who does not bow to China is an "American puppet". 

Nope, only when they are puppets and dangling with American foreign policies 

~

Nice world view you got there. 

It sounds like you're directly reading off talking points for the CCP lol.

Thanks, in general, we do like the world view over here with you Yankees messing up governments far away , away back over there. 

Have You read the CCP talking points ?

~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1